ADVERTISEMENT

Intermat Rankings

PSU-143.5
Iowa-142
Ohio St-66

I think it’s a 2 team race

tic ... You think?!?!? I think you may be right when 1.5 point separates one and two and 76 points separate two and three!!!!! ;)

Cass finishes higher than that do you think?!? He All-Americans and little to no points for PSU at 125lbs & 149lbs, that coupled with Cash actually wrestling to his capability, can win a national title for Iowa.

I have a tough time seeing Lugo placing fourth. I know 149 graduated a lot but I like the RS Freshman that will enter the mix (i.e. Teemer, Sasso, and Brayton Lee). Hopefully I’m wrong!
Maruca 149 and Teemer 157 so won't have Teemer to worry about

Rankings seem pretty fair. every fan i am sure could point to a few guys who could be higher or lower depending on your view. That being said. We need our guys to do what everyone who follows them closely knows what they are capable of!

Going to be a great season!

Cenzo tips the scales plenty on his own. ;)

#walkaround200+
Yes he is very fat, he may have trouble getting down to 165 which gives them problems.

I have a tough time seeing Lugo placing fourth. I know 149 graduated a lot but I like the RS Freshman that will enter the mix (i.e. Teemer, Sasso, and Brayton Lee). Hopefully I’m wrong!
Your right on here there are a good amount of young very talented RF coming into the mix Especially 149 and 157. With improvement Lugo has as good of a shot as any to be top 4

Your right on here there are a good amount of young very talented RF coming into the mix Especially 149 and 157.
Agree lot of RS coming in.Also 149 Alirez Northern Colorado and Kevon Davenport Nebraska are both rumored to go as true freshman.Jace Luchau Fresno St is another 149 who we could see as a true freshman

Reactions: Grip220
If Iowa wins I think it will actually be how they do on Saturday morning moreso than Saturday night. Murin, Lugo, Wilcke, Warner and Cass need to be going for top 5 instead of 7/8. The difference between 3rd and 8th, without bonus is 7 points plus at least 1 advancement point.

For comparison sake 10 8th place finishers could low end score 50 points. 10 3rd place finishers low end is 135 pts.

Although Iowa had a high AA rate, they fell on the low end of the AA scoring spectrum. With PSU’s high end scoring potential, Iowa must have a total team effort to win!

I think Lugo is a AA but in that 6th-8 range. I think Sasso passes him. Just dont trust Lugo as weird as it sounds I Murin has a higher ceiling. My only other concern about this year is Cash. I am pretty sure everybodyelse is mid to high AA!

Big reach here
Far stranger things have happened then Kemdawg potentially beating Hall. Like Alex Meyer beating Hall for starters.....

Kemdawg is certainly a mystery at this point due to injury and weight transition, but he wasn't some chump on the fringe of making a DI roster. If healthy he'll give Hall all he can handle, IMO.

Injuries and recency bias get in the way of most realizing/remembering how good of a wrestler Kemerer is. I took some heat for saying he was the best wrestler on the team immediately following the 2017-2018 season(Lee’s TF season), but I do stand by that statement at that point.

Sans injuries and Nolf, I think he would have a championship under his belt. Now, with that said, the injuries are REAL and do need to be considered when estimating his performance. However, IF he can stay healthy, he IS a favorite to win 174!

Far stranger things have happened then Kemdawg potentially beating Hall. Like Alex Meyer beating Hall for starters.....

Kemdawg is certainly a mystery at this point due to injury and weight transition, but he wasn't some chump on the fringe of making a DI roster. If healthy he'll give Hall all he can handle, IMO.
I will not think its strange at all when Kem beats Hall.

Kem is my favorite Hawk in the current lineup. I honestly feel he is a terrible matchup for Hall. But there is Smith also and I feel that's 1,2,3 at NCAA's a lot of time between now and then and I have been wrong before. Cant wait to see him back out there.

Give me the dawg over Hall also. Hall will have to create his own offense to win and he left his offense in Minnesota or wherever he lived.

This thread should be in a very rose colored tint.

I know this is the Iowa board but I’m shocked how many of you really believe Kem beats Hall.

Hall is..
1. Better technical wrestler
2. Stronger
3. Better defensively
4. Better on top
5. No injury history

Kem is..

1. Bumping up 2 weights
2. Couldn’t take down Nolf, and Hall harder to take down
3. Coming off major injury
4. No Advantage in any of the 3 areas (top, bottom or neutral)

So besides being an Iowa fan, what would be reasons someone picking Kem over Hall? Seriously?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotshoe

I know this is the Iowa board but I’m shocked how many of you really believe Kem beats Hall.

Hall is..
2. Stronger
3. Better defensively
4. Better on top
5. No injury history

Kem is..

1. Bumping up 2 weights

So besides being an Iowa fan, what would be reasons someone picking Kem over Hall? Seriously?
Well Kemerer did hold a really big silly prop hammer with Spenser in a promo pic which made Iowa look slightly less cheesy than the Rutgers promo pic from last year. He's got that going for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
Because Alex Meyer told us it's not that hard to beat Hall and we all believed him

so that’s the group think reasoning? Ok. Thanks for the educated answer I was hoping for

where did Meyer stand on the podium that year? I recall Hall on top

Hall is..
2. Stronger
3. Better defensively
4. Better on top
5. No injury history

Kem is..

1. Bumping up 2 weights

Because Hall is from Penn State. I'd take anyone from any school who is wrestling a Penn State wrestler because of my strong dislike for PSU.

Because Hall is from Penn State. I'd take anyone from any school who is wrestling a Penn State wrestler because of my strong dislike for PSU.

I can understand you saying that, and I also get why people will root against their rivals.

I’m trying to get an educated answer of why so many in this thread are picking Kem to win?

In other words, Kems best asset is his neutral offense. That being said, his neutral offense not on same level of Halls defense (not a knock on Kem as Zahid is only one that has shown he can score off his own shot on Mark)

Then it comes down to mat wrestling and there’s no contest there. Hall a world class scrambler and Kem feeds right into that if he tries a high volume of shots

Last edited:
Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I can understand you saying that, and I also get why people will root against their rivals.

I’m trying to get an educated answer of why so many in this thread are picking Kem to win?

In other words, Kems best asset is his neutral offense. That being said, his neutral offense not on same level of Halls defense (not a knock on Kem as Zahid is only one that has shown he can score off his own shot on Mark)

Then it comes down to mat wrestling and there’s no contest there. Hall a world class scrambler and Kem feeds right into that if he tries a high volume of shots
Well if you can understand it then I made my point.

Or Kemerer beating Hall. Two opportunities to improve there.

I will not think its strange at all when Kem beats Hall.

I would love to see Kem "throw the hammer down" when he beats Hall!

Kem is my favorite Hawk in the current lineup. I honestly feel he is a terrible matchup for Hall. But there is Smith also and I feel that's 1,2,3 at NCAA's a lot of time between now and then and I have been wrong before. Cant wait to see him back out there.

Give me the dawg over Hall also. Hall will have to create his own offense to win and he left his offense in Minnesota or wherever he lived.

Because Alex Meyer told us it's not that hard to beat Hall and we all believed him

Assuming at least some of these are predictions of Kemerer over Hall, which of you would be willing to wager on it?

Reactions: pish69

Hall is..
2. Stronger
3. Better defensively
4. Better on top
5. No injury history

Kem is..

1. Bumping up 2 weights

If you had a straight up friendly conversation, I doubt many, if any, of those picking Kem to win actually consider Kem the better wrestler. But, saying it is a "dream" to think he could win is "very rose colored" as well.

1.)Hall wrestles a style that lends itself to very close scores with AA level competition. Keep wrestling close matches and all it takes is one mistake to lose. Hall has NOT proven himself infallible.

2.)Kemerer is a VERY good wrestler. Injuries and Nolf(I am sorry but there is no part of folkstyle wrestling that I consider Hall better than Nolf at) have really been the ONLY(excepting a poor decision to "palacio" with Palacio) thing holding him back and he has still finished top 4 both years he has competed in a rather deep weight class.

3.)Injury is a factor, but it isn't one you pre-season prognosticate with. Considering, unless you are a true insider, you have NO CLUE how his health is, it is only fair to pick him based on his wrestling abilities only.

4.)Strength-This is impossible to quantify as a benefit for either. Some guys can move up weights after cutting too much and become monsters. Churella did it. Luke did it. Hell Kutler did it as well. All were physical specimens jumping up 2 weights. With Kemerer's body type I would be truly surprised if lack of strength is even a slight factor.

5.) I think you are seriously devaluing Kem's mat wrestling. Do you recall a match where he was controlled on the mat or simply couldn't ride someone when he had to? Also, although I would agree, to this point, that Hall's neutral defense has proven better than Kem's neutral offense, the gap isn't that wide.

So with that said, Hall should be considered a favorite, but that gap is slight. A Kemerer win would not be more than a very mild surprise.

Now, if I had to personally pick, I would think their outcomes would be very similar to Hall vs. Amine. One point matches with Hall squeaking by each time.

If you had a straight up friendly conversation, I doubt many, if any, of those picking Kem to win actually consider Kem the better wrestler. But, saying it is a "dream" to think he could win is "very rose colored" as well.

1.)Hall wrestles a style that lends itself to very close scores with AA level competition. Keep wrestling close matches and all it takes is one mistake to lose. Hall has NOT proven himself infallible.

2.)Kemerer is a VERY good wrestler. Injuries and Nolf(I am sorry but there is no part of folkstyle wrestling that I consider Hall better than Nolf at) have really been the ONLY(excepting a poor decision to "palacio" with Palacio) thing holding him back and he has still finished top 4 both years he has competed in a rather deep weight class.

3.)Injury is a factor, but it isn't one you pre-season prognosticate with. Considering, unless you are a true insider, you have NO CLUE how his health is, it is only fair to pick him based on his wrestling abilities only.

4.)Strength-This is impossible to quantify as a benefit for either. Some guys can move up weights after cutting too much and become monsters. Churella did it. Luke did it. Hell Kutler did it as well. All were physical specimens jumping up 2 weights. With Kemerer's body type I would be truly surprised if lack of strength is even a slight factor.

5.) I think you are seriously devaluing Kem's mat wrestling. Do you recall a match where he was controlled on the mat or simply couldn't ride someone when he had to? Also, although I would agree, to this point, that Hall's neutral defense has proven better than Kem's neutral offense, the gap isn't that wide.

So with that said, Hall should be considered a favorite, but that gap is slight. A Kemerer win would not be more than a very mild surprise.

Now, if I had to personally pick, I would think their outcomes would be very similar to Hall vs. Amine. One point matches with Hall squeaking by each time.

A lot of solid points made here.

I, too, am in a camp that sees Hall-Amine-like outcomes.

At least this is a thought out post, but I believe you are proving my point.

You're not picking Kem because you think he'll win, your picking him because he's your guy (fandom), but with nothing to show a strength for Kem over Hall. I never stated it was a "dream" for someone to pick him, I was trying to find out what strength you guys feel Kem has over Hall.

1. I believe Hall has about 100 wins so far in his career (I haven't checked), but only 4 guys (Amine, Kutler, Zahid, Crutchmer) have been defeated by Hall in a 1 point match, so his matches aren't 1 point matches that can go either way

2. I agree Kem is VERY good, but you're talking Elite with Nolf and Hall (both guys in finals every year they competed with multiple championships) compared to a non finalist..there is a big distinction there. Spencer is elite, Yianni elite, Zahid elite, etc..

3. Injury is a factor becuase no one knows what you'll get. If people were picking Kem after watching him dominate for a month or so, I can get it. But after sitting out a year, bumping up 2 weights, it is a factor

4. True..can't quantify, but I would think if you asked all D1 coaches who is stronger between the 2, it would be a landslide (pure conjecture on my part)

5. Palacio (and Hall much better than him)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotshoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT