ADVERTISEMENT

International Rankings

dmlawdad

HR MVP
Jan 11, 2003
Since we are getting closer to the Olympics I am interested in the international freestyle rankings. I found them very interesting, particularly the p4p rankings. Russia dominates the rankings at all weights, but the USA fares quite well in the p4p rankings. Take a look:

3 of the top 5 from USA: #2 Cox, #4 Dake #5 Taylor. Then #9 Burroughs and #12 Snyder.
On the down side the USA is struggling at the lower weights. The medal hopes are not good at 57 and the USA didn't qualify at 65. Gilman seems to come through when it counts though. He's ranked 11.

Since we are getting closer to the Olympics I am interested in the international freestyle rankings. I found them very interesting, particularly the p4p rankings. Russia dominates the rankings at all weights, but the USA fares quite well in the p4p rankings. Take a look:

3 of the top 5 from USA: #2 Cox, #4 Dake #5 Taylor. Then #9 Burroughs and #12 Snyder.
On the down side the USA is struggling at the lower weights. The medal hopes are not good at 57 and the USA didn't qualify at 65. Gilman seems to come through when it counts though. He's ranked 11.
Sounds like Gilman is suffering from an ankle ligament issue right now.

Our medal hopes at 57KG are fine as long as we're on the top side. I'd wager Gilman over Micic if they meet up (could be first round).

Our medal hopes at 57KG are fine as long as we're on the top side. I'd wager Gilman over Micic if they meet up (could be first round).
This is a really interesting match up imo. The last time they wrestled all the way back in 2014 at Midlands, Gilman barely scraped by 4-3, and this was true freshman, "pre-Micic" Micic.

I think Micic's length and elbow control stuff could be really problematic for Gilman's forward pressure reliant style.

For those who don’t subscribe to Aunt Flo. Not the same but should be similarish.

Don’t see Gilman coming close to placing. His results don’t reflect top tier

The truth is is that he has been the weak link in the US line-up.
This is not true. The weakest link in the US lineup has been whoever is at 65 kg. Our best showing since 2006 is 5th, and that guy only got into the tournament because of positive drug tests.

Gilman has wrestled at 2 world championships. He's wrestled for a medal both times. Can't ask for much more than that.

Hey, I get that Gilman is a PSU guy now but besides a healthy Lee, I have the most confidence in him medaling. Fix has trouble generating his own offense at that level. My top 3 would be:

Lee
Gilman
Suriano
I’m just a Gilman hater with his antics towards Iowa

From Wikipedia (I know the supreme source for all information:rolleyes:) on Robin Reed:

While still attending Oregon State, Robin participated in the 1924 Pacific Northwest Olympic team trials. He entered the 145.5, 158.5, 174.0, and 192.0 pound weight classes, and won them all. He made the Olympic team, and on the boat trip to Europe he had unofficial matches against every other member of the United States team. It was widely known that he had the ability to pin every member of the team, and on this occasion he nearly accomplished that, pinning 12 out the 13 of them, all but the person who would become the gold medalist at heavyweight that year, Harry Steel (He still beat him, however, despite not being able to pin him).

While hitch-hiking from his home in Oregon to New York City in 1924 to join the U. S. Olympic team, Reed stopped at Iowa State University to work out, but was refused permission. He asked the coach if he could work out if he first pinned every member of the wrestling team. The coach agreed. Reed proceeded to pin every Iowa State wrestler and he got his workout.

During practice for the Olympics in Paris, Reed bet he could pin Harry Steel, the U. S. heavyweight champion and eventual gold medal winner in that weight class. He not only pinned Steel, but he did it five times in fifteen minutes.

At the Olympics, he entered the 134.5 pound weight class (the second lowest) and pinned every single one of his opponents, including fellow Oregon State teammate Chester Newton in the finals. The United States team ended up getting gold in 3 other weight categories, including heavyweight, so it is widely believed that if the rules had permitted it, Robin could have won the gold medal in every weight class.

Remember this one? I believe he went 2 - 3. Results are for each round. The 2nd place finish was against a very depleted field.
He went 2-2 at the world cup.
The same world cup that saw James Green, J'den Cox, and Nick Gwiazdowski all lose in the finals along with Gilman.

The team still won gold and Gilman helped them do it. Give it up, you aren't winning this argument you created.

Remember this one? I believe he went 2 - 3. Results are for each round. The 2nd place finish was against a very depleted field.
2-2. Impressive to link the results yourself, explain how to see them, and still get them wrong.

His 2 losses were to defending world champ Takahashi and Ederishvilli who was ranked in the top 3 at the time and who he went on to beat in the quarters at worlds a few months later.

Gilman's taken occasional losses here and there, but you couldn't have picked a worse event to make your point lol.

The fact is that he's never failed to make the semis at the World Championships. For Team USA, that's not a weak link.

He went 2-2 at the world cup.
The same world cup that saw James Green, J'den Cox, and Nick Gwiazdowski all lose in the finals along with Gilman.

The team still won gold and Gilman helped them do it. Give it up, you aren't winning this argument you created.
He went 1 - 2. He was unopposed against India. (that did count as a win but not on the mat)

And to that NCAA championships. No national title.

He went 1 - 2. He was unopposed against India. (that did count as a win but not on the mat)

Bringing up results in an entirely different style of wrestling doesn't help your case.

The facts are the facts. Gilman has performed well at the world championships, the best of any US wrestler at his weight since Cejudo.

Reactions: IAChief32

A win is a win, who gives a shit how he got it?
I don't like Gilman anymore and I will struggle to cheer for him at the Olympics, and even my biased mind can see this is an idiotic argument you've generated out of nothingness.

Seriously. Stop.

No, no, no. No need to respond further. Just stop.

Dude, I can feel your fingers twitching as your read this. Don't give in, stay strong. You can do it. Feel the humility and let it grow and mature within you. Use this as a learning lesson. Close the laptop, put down the phone, and back away.

... I guarantee you won't, so prove me wrong.

There are two things that I have historically noticed about Gilman...every once in awhile, he'll have a head in the arse match where its like another dude showed up. Next, he'll wrestle a solid match but make a stupid choice. Most of the time, he's good enough to overcome those decisions. In the two big tourneys that counted, he medaled and made the semis. He lost to some tough dudes so it wasn't like he "choked." In 2018, he lost to Sanayev and Atli...both two time medalists. This wasn't a one in done in the first round. One can also say that he has been the best American since he came out of college. His 2017 run through trials and worlds was one of the best an American little guy has had in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT