ADVERTISEMENT

Inverse severity to pain ratio

Feb 9, 2013
I don’t know if I said that correctly, but you get the drift. What’s a seemingly minor “injury” or condition that delivers pain or discomfort far beyond what the injury itself would suggest.

My vote for #1 is when you accidentally split the skin beneath your fingernail. Feels like you cut the thing off.

Whatcha got?

I don’t know if I said that correctly, but you get the drift. What’s a seemingly minor “injury” or condition that delivers pain or discomfort far beyond what the injury itself would suggest.

My vote for #1 is when you accidentally split the skin beneath your fingernail. Feels like you cut the thing off.

Whatcha got?
Dog bite! :cool:

The initial pain of even a minor stubbed toe is INSANE. I never swear/yell more than when I stub it on the stupid wooden legs of the stylish-but-dangerous ottoman in our living room. Fortunately, it is also one of the fastest-dissipating pains.

A torn cuticle on a finger you use for work is also a killer - and it lasts for like a week.

Once I accidently cut just the very, very small tip off the end of of my finger when cutting up watermelon (talking like the smallest tip, like the size smaller than a pencil eraser), but I'll be damned if that didn't hurt like a SOB.

You don't think about it, but trying to button up a shirt or anything like that just sent throbs of pain because of all the nerve endings at the end of your fingertips.

Whatcha got?

Stubbing your toe.

Peeing after too much secks with hookers.

B5CMhnZvOiYe-5fpNfs6eYFiq1qH9IfV-n8PIR7eQ2Q.jpg

Also...if you ever want me to murder you, slap me hard right above my ass cheeks in the small of my back. When I come to...don't be there.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I'm going with the opposite phenomenon with this one.

Disclaimer: TLDR if you have the attention span of a toddler. Short, two sentence version at the bottom:

My appendix burst around December 29th of 2019. I didn't know that it had burst as it felt like a garden variety stomach ache to me at first. Pain level is a strong 3.

Early in the day on Dec. 31 I was fairly certain it was more than just an upset stomach and I slept for about 15 hours. I wasn't about to head to the ER the day before my deductible reset, so I decide to hold out for another day and see how everything is going. My wife disagrees strongly with my plan(this comes into play later, and probably for the rest of my life).
pain level is a 5.

January 1st everything feels a little better and I actually attempt to eat something, which promptly runs right through me. Pain levels are almost 0.

January 2 pain shoots back up but still nothing worse than a 5 or 6. I finally relent and head to the walk-in clinic. I list my symptoms and head over to sit in the waiting area and fill out the forms they gave me. Before I even get settled in, somebody comes out from the back(not sure if it was a nurse or doctor) and tells me to get to the ER.

I head to the ER and repeat the "Hello, I've had a stomach ache for a few days..." story and they get me to a triage room in fairly short order. 5 minutes later the doctor on call comes in and says " You're appendix is burst, but I have to prove it before we can line up a surgery". From there I drink the chalky stuff and they get me a quick MRI and I'm scheduled for surgery about an hour later.

Fast forward until anesthesia wears off and the surgeon tells me I definitely should have come in earlier and that there was a ton of poison in my system that could have killed me(the wife was in the room for this and displayed what I consider to be remarkable restraint to not blurt out "I TOLD YOU SO!" right then and there). Pain levels post surgery are higher than they ever were pre surgery.

Short version: A burst appendix doesn't hurt that bad at all for something that can and will kill you if untreated. Hitting your finger with a hammer in sub zero temps is 10 times worse.

Gross. Although the pain is probably similar. The last time it was one of my kids hitting me with a toy. Didn't think anything of it until I took the dogs out a little later and a breeze went by. The expletives were flying.
When I was about 6 I had one of those little balsa gliders you’d get at the dime store, but this one had a prop you twisted up with a rubber band. I did it too much and splintered the thing and scratched my cornea. To this day I have a scar and the eye docs/techs ask about it every time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT