ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA’s Indoor Stadium

Aug 5, 2010
I am an Iowa native but have not lived in the state for about 20 yrs. if football gets kicked off in Thanksgiving or later, and we are required to use an indoor facility, what do the options in the state look like for a home field?

Doesn’t Iowa have a covered practice field? Is it full sized? Could it be used?

I heard somewhere with the league was talking about using the dome in Detroit, Indianapolis and I heard the possibility of the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. those are the three I've heardone of. supposedly they all would be neutral site games.

In the big ten footprint there are indoor stadiums in Cedar Falls, Minneapolis, Detroit, Indianapolis, and Syracuse. Along with those, there are domes just outside the Big Ten footprint in Fargo ND, Grand Forks ND, Vermillion SD, Marquette, MI, St Louis, Toronto, Montreal, and possibly Milwaukee if they could figure out the dimensions. Some of those are much smaller than others, but if no fans are in attendance that wouldn't matter. Plus, if they started early enough before December, or finished late enough after March, they could play some games in our outdoor stadiums.

Too bad the armory is gone, we could have played another indoor game in the Fieldhouse like was done not long after it opened.

I heard somewhere with the league was talking about using the dome in Detroit, Indianapolis and I heard the possibility of the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. those are the three I've heardone of. supposedly they all would be neutral site games.

read that too. I was wondering why team could not just host in the indoor facilities. No fans will be there, so why not use those and allow teams to have some home/away scenarios?

If they start around Thanksgiving most if not all B10 schools have said they will be online through finals. This would allow for a potential bubble and b10 games to be played in Indianapolis and Minneapolis.

they could play three games a saturday in one venue like Indianapolis Plus Minneapolis and Milwaukee. No home field advantage anyway with no crowds. Lets do it

Indianapolis and Detroit are really perfect for a bubble scenario. Teams

I want to go back to the idea that lasted less than a day of having Iowa play in the SEC for this year only. Save the big boys for a road trip to Kinnick in November. With our luck it would probably 50+ and sunny that day anyway.

I want to go back to the idea that lasted less than a day of having Iowa play in the SEC for this year only. Save the big boys for a road trip to Kinnick in November. With our luck it would probably 50+ and sunny that day anyway.
Why the sec and not the B12?

I don't know how you can play "several" games in the same stadium in one day. This isn't like a basketball tournament at an NBA stadium that has at least 4 or more locker rooms big enough for a 12-15 person team. Football teams need massive locker rooms and most stadiums only have two large enough for that.

Football teams usually start out in the locker room several hours before kickoff and then don't leave for another almost hour. You'd need an army of people to sanitize the locker rooms in any meaningful time and then let them sit for 15-30 minutes before the next team comes in and you start the process all over again. So you're probably talking at least 7 hours per game and likely more. You might be able to get 2 games in one day at a stadium if you push it hard.

If the Big Ten schedules two teams on a bye every week, then you only need to get in 6 games. If you could get US Bank Stadium, Ford Field, and Lucas Oil Stadium every week, and do the two games per day, then you could make it happen. But then every team has to drive or fly to one of those locations. Michigan and Minnesota are probably the only ones that wouldn't need to stay in a hotel the night before the game(Maybe Indiana and Purdue if they get the late games). So that also means that the players get more exposure to potential infections.

All in all it seems like they'd be setting up a house of cards that would crumble very easily. Similar to what is likely happening to the teams that will still be trying to play this fall. There is a high likelihood that this is all a moot point in a month when all of the conferences cancel their games.

I don't know how you can play "several" games in the same stadium in one day. This isn't like a basketball tournament at an NBA stadium that has at least 4 or more locker rooms big enough for a 12-15 person team. Football teams need massive locker rooms and most stadiums only have two large enough for that.

Football teams usually start out in the locker room several hours before kickoff and then don't leave for another almost hour. You'd need an army of people to sanitize the locker rooms in any meaningful time and then let them sit for 15-30 minutes before the next team comes in and you start the process all over again. So you're probably talking at least 7 hours per game and likely more. You might be able to get 2 games in one day at a stadium if you push it hard.

If the Big Ten schedules two teams on a bye every week, then you only need to get in 6 games. If you could get US Bank Stadium, Ford Field, and Lucas Oil Stadium every week, and do the two games per day, then you could make it happen. But then every team has to drive or fly to one of those locations. Michigan and Minnesota are probably the only ones that wouldn't need to stay in a hotel the night before the game(Maybe Indiana and Purdue if they get the late games). So that also means that the players get more exposure to potential infections.

All in all it seems like they'd be setting up a house of cards that would crumble very easily. Similar to what is likely happening to the teams that will still be trying to play this fall. There is a high likelihood that this is all a moot point in a month when all of the conferences cancel their games.
You watch the Central Arkansas-Austin Peay game last night?

Btw, you're on the right track for how they would make it work.

If we aren't having fans why not play here? Punting issues?
55dcd2ea7f6ad.image.jpg

image-asset.jpeg

Full size field, but I doubt room for two teams and TV equipment.

Yes it does. The sidelines has the same or more room than Kinnick does. And they can locate tv cameras wherever as there would not be fans. Both ends have room above for tv cameras also.

Can't play outdoors but it is safe to play indoors? What a cluster...! Just wait until 2021.
The B1G has messed this up beyond saving.

Reactions: iahawks10
There is no room for TV cameras in a practice bubble. Need platforms, angles and cable. Playing multiple games in one location would risk a lot more exposure than one game outdoors in the fall. This all makes absolutely no sense. Play now.

If we aren't having fans why not play here? Punting issues?
55dcd2ea7f6ad.image.jpg

image-asset.jpeg
Iowa's indoor practice facility would be better equipped than some others, but still not enough ceiling height for punts and kickoffs.

In any case, using indoor practice facilities isn't really on the table. They're looking at using domes around the Midwest.

Reactions: Script_IOWA
they could play three games a saturday in one venue like Indianapolis Plus Minneapolis and Milwaukee. No home field advantage anyway with no crowds. Lets do it
I'm not sure they could play three games in one day at a facility, if that is what you are proposing. Ever seen the amount of equipment one team brings with them for an away game? Now imagine that times six. Each time would probably need a minimum of two hrs pregame dress and warm up. Then the game would take approx 3 hrs to play and then conservatively 1-2 hrs shower and equipment loaded back up. Plus, they would like want to clean the lockerdooms between games. Finally, I'm not sure these facilities would like to host three games each Saturday for 2-3 months. That's a lot wear and tear in a short period of time with very little time for field maintenance.

Playing games in the UNI-dome would be a great way to give much needed money to UNI.
I would be curious how this works. Yes it belongs to UNI, but UNI is a state school just like UofI. I can't imagine they would or could try and hold it hostage by asking an exorbitant fee-- especially with so many other alternatives. I would assume Iowa would want their own turf and emblem (and maybe visiting pink locker room-- though some at UNI may take offense for attention-whoring purposes).

Game production will decide where they play. ESPN and FOX aren't going to televise out of the practice facility or the UNI dome.

The games will be a D1 or pro facilities. Minneapolis, STL, Indy, Detroit.

Game production will decide where they play. ESPN and FOX aren't going to televise out of the practice facility or the UNI dome.

The games will be a D1 or pro facilities. Minneapolis, STL, Indy, Detroit.

I beg to differ sir, why ESPN has televised games from UNI before. They did so for a playoff game as I was there. It was big boy ESPN and not ESPN3. When there are no fans a stadium is a stadium. Same room as Kinnick on sidelines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT