ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa #1 again

I thought at one point there were talks of these puppy mills getting run out of business, I don't understand how this keeps happening. If they have violations shut them down. You'd probably have people lined up to adopt most of the dogs with how strong that community feels about these mills. Either that or jack up the fines to the point that it hurts more.

I get the ag lobby is behind a lot of our laws around treatment of animals in Iowa, but how hard did is it to carve something out for breeders of non-farm animals. Is the puppy mill lobby that well funded?

I get the ag lobby is behind a lot of our laws around treatment of animals in Iowa, but how hard did is it to carve something out for breeders of non-farm animals. Is the puppy mill lobby that well funded?

Well funded and Amish.

Well funded and Amish.

As someone who didn't grow up with dogs in the house, I could very easily be convinced "Amish dogs" are supposed to be higher quality artisan dogs. Like, of course I get the benefits of adopting but I'm probably ill fit to adopt an abused animal for my first dog. That would take a level of bravado and naivety that I pride myself in avoiding when possible. But I better not get a corporate dog. Not when there are old fashioned Amish dogs available presumably raised like in the olden days, when people had better values.

Are people like me the problem here?

Reactions: Moral
I thought at one point there were talks of these puppy mills getting run out of business, I don't understand how this keeps happening. If they have violations shut them down.
This might explain it ...

The 2021 report from the Office of Inspector General at the U.S. Department of Agriculture said the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service “did not consistently address complaints it received or adequately document the results of its follow-up.”

The inspector general noted that the inspection service did not even have a “process for responding to complaints or for recording the results of the agency’s actions. As a result, some dog breeder facilities may be conducting regulated activity without a USDA license or oversight.”

Reactions: beanerhawk
Don't buy a puppy mill dog, it's the demand that keeps these a-holes doing this crap. Dubuque Greyhound Park is closing in about 4 weeks, think about adopting a greyhound, they're fabulous dogs IMO.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Iowa full of poors that would rather go through a puppy mill than an AKC registered kennel.
Just look online at animal rescue places.

we got our current dog through Aheinz in Des Moines. Can’t say enough about the good work they do.

your dog will love you just as much without having official papers.

You seem to have ideas about what Iowa does wrong, except for having Republicans running the state...why wouldn’tI seek your counsel now?
Hang ‘em. How’s that? I know you don’t have the stomach for it.

ADVERTISEMENT