ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa #2 per PFF (May 25) & # 3 in Sporting News (May 25), Athlon's (May 18), CBS Sports (May 5) & ESPN's (May 4) B1G Power Rankings

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
PFF's May 25, 2021 Story:

College Football: PFF ELO rankings for all 130 FBS teams heading into the 2021 season​

3. Ohio State
9. Iowa
14. Wisconsin
19. Penn State
24. Indiana
25. Michigan

Sporting News May 25, 2021 Story:

College football rankings: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State lead Sporting News' preseason top 25​

3. Ohio State
15. Indiana
18. Iowa
20. Wisconsin
25. Penn State

Athlon Sports May 18, 2021 Story:

College Football Rankings: Top 25 for 2021​

4. Ohio State
13. Wisconsin
16. Iowa
19. Penn State
21. Indiana

CBS Sports May 5, 2021 Story:

College football rankings: Alabama on top, Oregon rockets up CBS Sports' post-spring top 25​

4. Ohio State
12. Wisconsin
18. Iowa
19. Penn State
21. Indiana
23. Michigan

ESPN's May 4, 2021 Story:

College Football Post-Spring Top 25 Power Rankings​

5. Ohio State
11. Indiana
14. Iowa
18. Wisconsin
23. Penn State

Athlon's March 11, 2021 Story:

Athlon's Power Rankings on March 11, 2021

9th for Little Debbie, the official snack cake of the B1G, seems high!!!

Oh, and fook Wisconsin!!!

2021 B1G Power Rankings:

1. Ohio State
2 Wisconsin
3 IOWA

4 Indiana
5 Penn State
6 Michigan
7 Northwestern
8 Minnesota
9 Nebraska

10 Maryland
11 Purdue
12 Michigan State
13 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
14 Illinois

The FULL Story & Analysis:

Last edited:
The only position I am worried about on the team is WR and finding a playmaker there.

DL I am confident we have enough there.

Not really. We have a starter coming back that, despite your opinion, improved a lot towards the end of the year. And we have backups that people like you say should be starting yesterday so I see no need to list that as being worried. Heck, if our backups are better than a 6-2 starting that showed growth sign me up!!!
Yup. Spencer just needs to calm down during the 1st Qtr/Half when those 70,000 Screaming Hawk Fans are making Kinnick rattle in 2021!

9th for Little Debbie, the official snack cake of the B1G, seems high!!!

Oh, and fook Wisconsin!!!

2021 B1G Power Rankings:

1. Ohio State
2 Wisconsin
3 IOWA

4 Indiana
5 Penn State
6 Michigan
7 Northwestern
8 Minnesota
9 Nebraska

10 Maryland
11 Purdue
12 Michigan State
13 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
14 Illinois

Wisconsin #2? I don't buy it.

It is clear that QB development is something a lot of posters do not understand on this board.
Let me start by saying I hope the reasoning behind Spencer being one of the worst QBs in the conference is the lack of a full, organized off-season. I want him to be good moving forward.

Now, this guy was recruited to play QB for a major college football program. Combine the skills he's already supposed to have to warrant D1 recruitment with him being in Iowa City for multiple seasons. Are we really asking too much?

Honestly, I would expect a true frosh to make better decisions.

Spencer Petras SHOULD be developed by now.

It is clear that QB development is something a lot of posters do not understand on this board.
O we get. We get that for some reason a 65% completion percentage would take a decade of development under our staff. We understand that development of reading the system and not checking down to your safety net within 2 reads takes atleast 3 years of starting experience if you didn't come to Iowa with that ability. We get it. Contrary to what @FlickShagwell thinks the guy had 2 good halves of football. He was at like 110-120 yards with a sub 60% completion percentage in both the Illinois and wiscy first halves everyone likes to point to.

Speaking of development wasn't Nate Stanley pretty direct that there was very little time spent on skill development while at Iowa?

Last edited:
How is Nebraska ahead of anyone? They lost their best player (Robinson) and most of their run game (Robinson, Mills, McCaffery). Martinez threw for 4 TD's and 3 picks. Their #1 WR is likely Oliver Martin or Falck-- which combined for 18 catches. On their OL they only return their center and a crappy RT.

At this point I think you’re throwing darts after OSU, and even they will likely not be as strong as recent years. It was tough to get a gauge on some teams last year
  • PSU is still very talented and perhaps new OC Mike Yurcich could work some magic with Clifford
  • Allen is a strong defensive mind for Indiana and they have some playmakers on offense
  • Wisconsin returns quite a bit on both sides of the ball and likely will benefit from getting healthy on offense
  • Iowa will always be strong defensively and still has talent on offense despite the departures
  • I don’t believe in Michigan at this point, but they still are talented and did revamp the coaching staff
Northwestern and Minnesota could surprise, but I’m not expecting it this year

O we get. We get that for some reason a 65% completion percentage would take a decade of development under our staff. We understand that development of reading the system and not checking down to your safety net within 2 reads takes atleast 3 years of starting experience if you didn't come to Iowa with that ability. We get it. Contrary to what @FlickShagwell thinks the guy had 2 good halves of football. He was at like 110-120 yards with a sub 60% completion percentage in both the Illinois and wiscy first halves everyone likes to point to.

Speaking of development wasn't Nate Stanley pretty direct that there was very little time spent on skill development while at Iowa?
Is it about stats or wins?

It's about wins, and we ain't won shit.

2nd or 3rd in the division and a tier 3 bowl when .500 teams make bowl games.... yeah!
Lol yeah, being excited about being 6-2 when everyone we played had historically bad years (aside from Northwestern) isn't the best. We finally beat Penn State and Wisconsin but it took them having the worst teams they've fielded this century.

Lol yeah, being excited about being 6-2 when everyone we played had historically bad years (aside from Northwestern) isn't the best. We finally beat Penn State and Wisconsin but it took them having the worst teams they've fielded this century.
I thought the "this century" thing was a little over the top. It isn't, those really were the worst teams either has fielded.

Edit: 2003 wiscy and 2020 wiscy is probably close.

Last edited:
It's about wins, and we ain't won shit.

2nd or 3rd in the division and a tier 3 bowl when .500 teams make bowl games.... yeah!
So you are saying with a different qb that puts up better stats we win the division? Nice crystal ball there. Looks like Kirk Cousins should win a few division titles with his stats too.

So you are saying with a different qb that puts up better stats we win the division? Nice crystal ball there. Looks like Kirk Cousins should win a few division titles with his stats too.
Calm - I'm not sure how or why you're refusing to grasp the "we need much better quarterback play" side of the discussion.

There are right around 70 QBs that finished with at least a 60% comp. rate. 25 were more than 65%.

Think about what Iowa football generally has in place year in and year out: very good OL, capable RBs, capable WRs, more than capable TEs, and a borderline outstanding Defense. Last season we even had very good punt/return performances.

So yes, as long as a majority of the above remain constants for us, better statistics outta the QB position will almost certainly result in a trip(s) to Indy.

Last edited:
Reactions: dadster
Woulda, coulda, shoulda....Iowa lost the Purdue game due to stupidity....olineman punch out of the football from Goodson causing the fumble going into the red zone, fumble by Sargeant driving late to go up more than two scores, and bad defense vs David Bell trying to cover him with a linebacker. Ugh.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda....Iowa lost the Purdue game due to stupidity....olineman punch out of the football from Goodson causing the fumble going into the red zone, fumble by Sargeant driving late to go up more than two scores, and bad defense vs David Bell trying to cover him with a linebacker. Ugh.
Again....

I like our staff, I like that recruiting has been trending up, I like that the team was able to strongly get through whatever racial issues were happening.

It's time to win the division. Nebraska isn't going to stay down forever, Fat pat just resigned, Bert is at Illinois, fleck is fleck and wiscy has been the top dog for awhile but might he down. Now is the time.

• Haha
Reactions: badger-007
we can't have those same opening games mistakes this year; otherwise, we might start off 0-2, just like we did last year

Last edited:
we can't have those same opening games mistakes this year; otherwise, we might start off 0-2, just like we did last year
And if they do, they know how to respond. Think they start 1-1 this year with a W over Indiana and an L at ISU but hope I’m wrong with a win in Lames. That game is the main reason a lot of the clown patrol came back to Clownsville....
giphy.gif.cf.gif

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT