ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa #4 in the Nation in Most Ranked Wins over Past 5 Seasons

I love watching Iowa basketball.....and especially against really good teams on a big stage...but I watch them and cheer for them no matter what.

I want them to win NCAA Tournament games in the worst way....when they don't I'm disappointed but in no way does that diminish my enjoyment of other games......

I'm sure this is the statistic that will break the mold and convince gullible and highly impressionable 4 and 5 star HS recruits to come to Iowa so we can win a national F***ING
vorikx-box.gif
championship...............

Yeah? :)

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Yes and the Iowa players that propelled Iowa to that lofty status, but did nothing in the NCAA tournament: Joe Wieskamp, Luka Garza, Jordon Bohannan, Keegan and Kris Murray are all gone now. Who on Iowa's roster is going to take there place and keep Iowa relevant and give us hope that someday it will happen again?

A good example of how overrated the Big Ten has been lately.
Big 10 will continue to be overrated as long as we maintain the 2nd largest media rights deal. Networks will continue to promote the hell out of it because they're the ones selling the B10 product.

Yes and the Iowa players that propelled Iowa to that lofty status, but did nothing in the NCAA tournament: Joe Wieskamp, Luka Garza, Jordon Bohannan, Keegan and Kris Murray are all gone now. Who on Iowa's roster is going to take there place and keep Iowa relevant and give us hope that someday it will happen again?
Oh I don't know. Did anyone really think Garza was going to be a stud after his sophomore season, Bohannan was hated on this board and often referred to negatively. Nobody thought Kris was going to be a 20 point per game scorer, and Wieskamp was too slow and too white. So, who knows where the next person will come from but just becasue they can't be identified by you, me and other fans doesn't mean that person isn't on campus, or on their way.

1. How about a top team list for losses against lower rank teams?
2. How many of these wins were against other ranked B1G teams that proved to be overrated come tournament time?

Ya ya, Debbie downer, but Iowa basketball hasn't accomplished shit over that period.

• Wow
Reactions: perryhawk
I have always felt these wins over ranked teams is BS unless they are determined at the end of the season. You literally have teams ranked in the Top 5 at some point early on that fail to even make the NIT— see North Carolina. Then you have teams that are supposed to be bad that end up being damn good— see FAU. A win over FAU was more impressive than one over North Carolina last year.

*I acknowledge that injuries have impacts as well.

How about 26 tournament bids over the last three years, and no final fours, one elite eight, and only four sweet 16 appearances to show for it. The Big Ten had four top 10 teams entering the 2021 tournament and walked away with one sweet 16 team. Sounds pretty overrated to me.

Sounds like they did better in the non con than the post season.

Sounds like they did better in the non con than the post season.
Sure. Big Ten teams tend to have more stable coaching situations/rosters than other conferences. Probably why they do better in the non-conference when everyone else is working out new systems, transfers, etc. Then everyone else catches up and moves past them by the end of the season. Still overrated.

Oh I don't know. Did anyone really think Garza was going to be a stud after his sophomore season, Bohannan was hated on this board and often referred to negatively. Nobody thought Kris was going to be a 20 point per game scorer, and Wieskamp was too slow and too white. So, who knows where the next person will come from but just becasue they can't be identified by you, me and other fans doesn't mean that person isn't on campus, or on their way.
Jbo's issues here were more for his actions, (mostly off the court, but some on) and not so much for his play. He had a GREAT college career, thats not in question.

Sure. Big Ten teams tend to have more stable coaching situations/rosters than other conferences. Probably why they do better in the non-conference when everyone else is working out new systems, transfers, etc. Then everyone else catches up and moves past them by the end of the season. Still overrated.

Maryland had a good non con, brand new coach. Illinois had the best non con wins in the conference and had a brand new roster. Purdue started two frosh guards off the bat and ran through the non con. Penn St had a 2nd year coach and three new starters. Michigan State had maybe the most roster stability of anyone, and they were the best team from the conference in tourney - by your admission they shouldve been passed up by then.

No one is overrating the b1g. Literally everyone says exactly what you do. Every talking head, every message board, every podcast.

Thats why I suggested you start your own metric because thats why the b1g is getting so many teams in the tourney. Maybe you think we need to pick tourney teams based on NCAA tourney results of the last three years instead of data collected from the current season?

Reactions: Bishop1971
Maryland had a good non con, brand new coach. Illinois had the best non con wins in the conference and had a brand new roster. Purdue started two frosh guards off the bat and ran through the non con. Penn St had a 2nd year coach and three new starters. Michigan State had maybe the most roster stability of anyone, and they were the best team from the conference in tourney - by your admission they shouldve been passed up by then.

No one is overrating the b1g. Literally everyone says exactly what you do. Every talking head, every message board, every podcast.

Thats why I suggested you start your own metric because thats why the b1g is getting so many teams in the tourney. Maybe you think we need to pick tourney teams based on NCAA tourney results of the last three years instead of data collected from the current season?
Literally everyone?? Wow, didn't realize that. And this thread is about top 25 teams, not NCAA bids. That's what the OP was about and is why I made my original comment. Sounds like you don't think they were overrated when they had four teams in the top ten and only one got to the sweet 16. Whatever helps you feel like you won the argument I guess.

Literally everyone?? Wow, didn't realize that. And this thread is about top 25 teams, not NCAA bids. That's what the OP was about and is why I made my original comment. Sounds like you don't think they were overrated when they had four teams in the top ten and only one got to the sweet 16. Whatever helps you feel like you won the argument I guess.

Yes literally everyone. Also, you brought up the ncaa tournament.

Yes literally everyone. Also, you brought up the ncaa tournament.
Oh I see, you were using the teenage girl definition of "literally". We can talk NCAA bids I suppose. Expected sweet sixteens, elite eights and final fours for the Big Ten over the last three years based on seeding is 10 sweet sixteens, 5 elite eights and 3 final fours. Instead they have 4, 1 and 0. Not overrated though...

Oh I see, you were using the teenage girl definition of "literally". We can talk NCAA bids I suppose. Expected sweet sixteens, elite eights and final fours for the Big Ten over the last three years based on seeding is 10 sweet sixteens, 5 elite eights and 3 final fours. Instead they have 4, 1 and 0. Not overrated though...

Please help us with better metrics since it's so obvious ode wise poster.

Please help us with better metrics since it's so obvious ode wise poster.
Not sure why you keep saying that. It's like you're trying to change the argument be about something else. All I said is the Big Ten has been overrated the last few years. That's clear, but you apparently had a problem with that. Change the metrics, I don't care. Doesn't change anything that I've said.

How about 26 tournament bids over the last three years, and no final fours, one elite eight, and only four sweet 16 appearances to show for it. The Big Ten had four top 10 teams entering the 2021 tournament and walked away with one sweet 16 team. Sounds pretty overrated to me.
I'm not disagreeing with your original point but seeding has something to do with wins. The big 10 has not shown up in the NCAA, especially the top tier teams. I'd be curious to know the big 10 w-l record as the lower/higher seed vs other conferences.

I'm not disagreeing with your original point but seeding has something to do with wins. The big 10 has not shown up in the NCAA, especially the top tier teams. I'd be curious to know the big 10 w-l record as the lower/higher seed vs other conferences.
I agree. I did include expected Sweet 16/Elite 8/Final 4 numbers based on seeding vs. actual in post #31.

Not sure why you keep saying that. It's like you're trying to change the argument be about something else. All I said is the Big Ten has been overrated the last few years. That's clear, but you apparently had a problem with that. Change the metrics, I don't care. Doesn't change anything that I've said.

What argument am I changing? That was my first response. Wow, thanks for informing the board! We hadnt heard the B1G is overrated!

• Haha
Reactions: pocha444444
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT