ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA a #2 Seed, Illinois & Michigan a 1 in Latest (March14) ESPN Bracketology. Jerry Palm: Iowa a 2. Mike DeCoursy: Iowa a 2. Bracket Matrix: Iowa a 2

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
March 13 Update:

Bracket Matrix, which combines MANY bracketologists, has Iowa right now as I type a #2 seed & 6TH best overall team.

Check that out here: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

According to Joe Lunardi, ESPN:

For those wondering about OK State:
They received a one-year postseason ban by the NCAA infractions committee. The Cowboys appealed, and the NCAA has confirmed that OK State is eligible while the appeal is undecided. That is why many bracketologists are including OK State in their bracket because we are now close enough where a no-decision seems feasible.

Important Dates:

March 14:
The Bracket will be announced (Selection Sunday)

April 5: The NCAA Tournament will conclude

NOTE: All games are going to be bubbled in Indianapolis/the Indianapolis area. The primary adjustment from a normal year is, of course, the playing of the entire NCAA tournament at a single site (in a single region). There is no need to bracket any team away from a regional or subregional it is hosting, or attempt to give teams geographic priority based on their position on the seed list.

Iowa has been no worse than a 4 seed since July 15, when Lunardi's first bracket came out.

3 seed on July 15
1 seed on Dec 15
1 seed on Jan 19
3 seed on Feb 5
4 seed on Feb 9 & 12
3 seed on Feb 16
2 seed on Feb 19, Feb 23
3 seed on Feb 26
2 seed SINCE March 2

9 B1G teams are in, per Joe Lunardi:

REGION 1 (Was the West Region in Denver; Gonzaga is #1 seed)

04 Purdue
02 Ohio State

REGION 4 (Was the Midwest Region in Minneapolis; Illinois is #1 seed)

01 Illinois
11 Michigan State--ON THE BUBBLE: Last 4 Byes
10 Maryland

REGION 2 (Was the South Region in Memphis; Baylor is #1 seed)

09 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
02 IOWA vs 15 Cleveland State; Winner plays 7 Oregon/10 Georgia Tech

REGION 3 (Was the East Region in Brooklyn; Michigan is #1 seed)

01 Michigan
06 Wisconsin

OTHERS:

Michigan State--ON THE BUBBLE: Last 4 Byes. The last time that Michigan State missed the NCAA Tournament under Tom Izzo was 1997 (24 years ago), which was his 2nd year as head coach.

Drake--ON THE BUBBLE: Last 4 in. An 11 seed vs 11 seed Syracuse (Play in Game). Winner plays 6 seed USC. In Gonzaga's Region.

Virginia Tech (Cordell Pemsl)-- a 9 seed vs 8 seed Missouri in Michigan's Region.

Duke!!! -- OUT OF THE TOURNAMENT!!! @Hawksfor3

----------The last time Duke did not make the NCAA Tournament? 1995 (26 freakin' years ago).

Check out the full bracket here: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

January 19 UPDATE:

Could the B1G get TWO number 1 seeds?

NOTE: Bracket Matrix, which combines MANY bracketologists, has Iowa as a #1 seed & FOURTH best overall team. Check that out here: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Important Dates:

March 15:
The Bracket will be announced (Selection Sunday)

April 5: The NCAA Tournament will conclude

NOTE: All games are expected to be bubbled in Indianapolis/the Indianapolis area. The primary adjustment from a normal year is, of course, the playing of the entire NCAA tournament at a single site. There is no need to bracket any team away from a regional or subregional it is hosting, or attempt to give teams geographic priority based on their position on the seed list.

10 B1G teams are in, per Joe Lunardi:

09 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
04 Ohio State
11 Michigan State (Last 4 byes)

REGION 4 (Was the Midwest Region in Minneapolis; IOWA is #1 seed)

01 IOWA

08 Purdue
05 Illinois
03 Wisconsin

REGION 3 (Was the East Region in Brooklyn; Michigan is #1 seed)

01 Michigan
06 Minnesota
10 Indiana

OTHERS:

Maryland--First 4 OUT

Drake--a 10 seed in Region 2.
Virginia Tech (Cordell Pemsl)-- a 7 seed in Region 4.
Duke!!! -- an 11 seed in Region 4. @Hawksfor3

Check out the full bracket here:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

DECEMBER 29 UPDATE:

11 B1G teams are in:

09 Indiana
03 Illinois

REGION 4 (Was the Midwest Region in Minneapolis; Kansas is #1 seed)

08 Michigan State
05 Ohio State
11 Northwestern
02 Wisconsin

09 Purdue
04 Rutgers
03 IOWA
07 Minnesota

REGION 3 (Was the East Region in Brooklyn; Villanova is #1 seed)

04 Michigan

OTHERS:

Maryland--First 4 OUT
Virginia Tech (Cordell Pemsl)-- a 9 seed in Region 4.

LINK: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

DECEMBER 15 UPDATE:

NOTE: All games are expected to be bubbled in Indianapolis/the Indianapolis area. The primary adjustment from a normal year is, of course, the playing of the entire NCAA tournament at a single site. There is no need to bracket any team away from a regional or subregional it is hosting, or attempt to give teams geographic priority based on their position on the seed list.

Lunardi says this about #1 Seed IOWA in his Dec 15 write up:

Concerns about Iowa's defense are pretty much moot if the Hawkeyes continue to average more than 100 points per game. With a quarter of them coming from presumptive Player of the Year Luka Garza, Iowa's short climb to the top line of the bracket was perhaps inevitable. We spent the entire offseason looking for a fourth No. 1 seed to join Gonzaga, Baylor and Villanova. The Hawkeyes clearly belong in that group.

10 B1G teams are in:

05 Michigan
11 Purdue (Last 4 Byes)
03 Illinois

REGION 4 (Was the Midwest Region in Minneapolis; IOWA is #1 seed)

01 IOWA

06 Ohio State

06 Indiana
03 Wisconsin

REGION 3 (Was the East Region in Brooklyn; Villanova is #1 seed)

05 Rutgers (@MrsScrew)
11 Maryland (Last 4 Byes)
02 Michigan State

OTHERS:

Minnesota-- First 4 OUT
Penn State--First 4 OUT
Virginia Tech (Cordell Pemsl)-- Now a 11 Seed (Play in game) in Region 4.

LINK: https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/s...e-varying-states-ncaa-tournament-bracketology

Original Post (July 15 Bracketology)

9 total B1G teams are in:

West Region, Denver (Gonzaga is #1 seed)

02 Wisconsin

Midwest Region, Minneapolis (Virginia is #1 seed)
03 IOWA

East Region, Brooklyn (Villanova is #1 seed)

09 Illinois
06 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
07 Purdue
02 Michigan State

South Region, Memphis (Baylor is #1 seed)
04 Ohio State
06 Indiana
07 Michigan

OTHERS:

Virginia Tech (Cordell Pemsl)--Last 4 in.
Minnesota--First 4 out.
Maryland, Penn State--Next 4 out.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
If you could take that right now, would you? Yes, because that means there is a season. No, because that means they finished 3rd in the Big. I have loftier expectations for this team than a 3rd place finish.

02 Wisconsin

03 IOWA

09 Illinois
06 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
07 Purdue
02 Michigan State

04 Ohio State
06 Indiana
07 Michigan

OTHERS:

Minnesota--First 4 out.

Brooklyn is a hell hole and a war zone. Unless things change no way I'm going.

lots of gun violence? if so, has that always been the case or just this summer?

Depending where you were in Brooklyn it could be nice or it could be bad. This summer it's everywhere. My NYPD friends say all 5 boroughs (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island & the Bronx) are a war zone. Brooklyn & the Bronx as well as upper Manhattan are the worst.

Depending where you were in Brooklyn it could be nice or it could be bad. This summer it's everywhere. My NYPD friends say all 5 boroughs (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island & the Bronx) are a war zone. Brooklyn & the Bronx as well as upper Manhattan are the worst.
ughhhhh.....Minneapolis shootings are way up this year, too, and some areas are asking for more police presence. Ironic, huh?

**02 Wisconsin**

03 IOWA

09 Illinois
06 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
07 Purdue
02 Michigan State

04 Ohio State
06 Indiana
07 Michigan

OTHERS:

Minnesota--First 4 out.

Hmmm.......Mm-hmm........mmmmmm........yep.

I got it......

This time I've really got it.......

F*** Wisconsin.

If you could take that right now, would you? Yes, because that means there is a season. No, because that means they finished 3rd in the Big. I have loftier expectations for this team than a 3rd place finish.
i think they will be fighting for a 2 seed; at worst they should end up with a high 3 seed, which would mean they are still a top 10 team in the country

July 29 Update:

02 IOWA

Midwest Region, Minneapolis (Michigan State is #1 seed)
01 Michigan State
06 Indiana

04 Ohio State
06 Michigan
07 Rutgers (@MrsScrew !!!)

09 Illinois
03 Wisconsin
07 Purdue

OTHERS:

Minnesota, Penn State--Next 4 out.

Reactions: jasonrann
July 29 Update:

02 IOWA

Midwest Region, Minneapolis (Michigan State is #1 seed)
01 Michigan State
06 Indiana

04 Ohio State
06 Michigan
07 Rutgers (@MrsScrew !!!)

09 Illinois
03 Wisconsin
07 Purdue

OTHERS:

Minnesota, Penn State--Next 4 out.

Sign me up for that.

Reactions: Franisdaman
If Garza returns Iowa should be THE favorite to win it all. The chemistry of returnees would be unmatched.
I think Illinois will be every bit as good. That 9 seed was without Ayo and Kofi. Ayo and Kofi are returning. Frazier, Giorgi, Williams. Top 15 recruiting class led by Adam Miller and Andre Curbelo. Two athletic transfers becoming eligible.

Let’s play. Should be a blast.

Why do you think Iowa would go from 5th in the BT to #1 in the country? Bohannan? I think winning the BT first would be a tough challenge for any team. Iowa can really score. Defense? Can’t win a title without defense.

Last edited:
If Garza returns Iowa should be THE favorite to win it all. The chemistry of returnees would be unmatched.

Define “win it all.”

Big Ten?

National Championship?

Big Ten — “THE favorite”? Definitely among the favorites. I would say Iowa has the best chance to win a regular season league title than they’ve had in the last 30 years.

National Championship — definitely not “THE favorite” but again, it’s not at all a crazy idea.

Should be a season to remember.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
What part of “all” is undefined? I’d take the time to explain but why bother.

So Iowa with Garza is “THE favorite” to win the National Championship? LOL.

I’d ask you to cite even one legitimate publication that agrees with you but ... why bother.

I think Illinois will be every bit as good. That 9 seed was without Ayo and Kofi. Ayo and Kofi are returning. Frazier, Giorgi, Williams. Top 15 recruiting class led by Adam Miller and Andre Curbelo. Two athletic transfers becoming eligible.

Let’s play. Should be a blast.

Why do you think Iowa would go from 5th in the BT to #1 in the country? Bohannan? I think winning the BT first would be a tough challenge for any team. Iowa can really score. Defense? Can’t win a title without defense.

Fake news. Cockburn hasn’t said if he’ll return. I think he’ll be playing internationally if I had to bet. His family needs the money.

A Dosunmu, Frazier, Miller, and Curbelo backcourt is one hell of a collection of guard talent though. I’ll give you that. That’s an elite group. Period. Will they be able to play together though? Nobody knows.

The Iowa backcourt, in contrast, is an experienced, proven commodity. Even with Cockburn, Iowa is better.

Last edited:
Fake news. Cockburn hasn’t said if he’ll return. I think he’ll be playing internationally if I had to bet. His family needs the money.

A Dosunmu, Frazier, Miller, and Curbelo backcourt is one hell of a collection of guard talent though. I’ll give you that. That’s an elite group. Period. Will they be able to play together though? Nobody knows.

The Iowa backcourt, in contrast, is an experienced, proven commodity. Even with Cockburn, Iowa is better.
Illinois loses one player contributor from the squad that finished 2 games above Iowa in conference and adds two top 50 players. Iowa loses one of the few players that defends and adds a stud in offense and liability on defense.

I think it's going to be anyone's guess who is better if Garza returns.

Illinois loses one player contributor from the squad that finished 2 games above Iowa in conference and adds two top 50 players. Iowa loses one of the few players that defends and adds a stud in offense and liability on defense.

I think it's going to be anyone's guess who is better if Garza returns.

Nichols and Feliz (and likely Cockburn) are gone. All were contributors.

Your guard lineup, while impressive on paper, is largely inexperienced and unproven compared to Iowa's. I'll be honest though, if Miller and Curbelo live up to expectations, that is going to be a tough, tough Illinois team even without the human mountain. For a has been program, that was some impressive recruiting by Underwood and $taff.

Nichols and Feliz (and likely Cockburn) are gone. All were contributors.

Your guard lineup, while impressive on paper, is largely inexperienced and unproven compared to Iowa's. I'll be honest though, if Miller and Curbelo live up to expectations, that is going to be a tough, tough Illinois team even without the human mountain. For a has been program, that was some impressive recruiting by Underwood and $taff.
Lol at Iowa calling anyone has been. It's been 40 years since you won the conference. .

The money sign doesn't bother me. If you want to be elite, you have to act like it. Not going to happen recruiting two stars.

Kofi will be back if there's a season.

If it ends up a conference only schedule and other conferences do the same, don’t see a team like Gonzaga being a #1 seed.
I am hoping AT WORST we get a 20 game, conference only schedule that begins in January. Maybe even start after Xmas. That's 5 months from now. Surely we can play CBB 5 months from now. Right?

giphy.gif

Don't get me wrong, I am loving the preseason accolades but we know what this place will be like if Iowa loses a game to Northwestern or something, let alone Michigan St.
fans are weird, aren't they. Iowa must never lose! it doesn't matter that the other team has highly paid coaches & kids on scholarship, too!

ADVERTISEMENT