ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa adds Colorado State to the 2021 schedule

Apr 8, 2003
IOWA ADDS COLORADO STATE TO 2021 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

IOWA CITY, Iowa - - The University of Iowa has added a home date with Colorado State to its 2021 football schedule. Colorado State will visit Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021.

Iowa opens the 2021 season with a Big Ten Conference game, hosting Indiana on Sept. 4. The Hawkeyes then travel to Iowa State the following weekend. A third nonconference opponent is needed to complete the 12-game schedule before the Hawkeyes close nonconference play against Colorado State. The two programs have not met on the football field.

Iowa’s October schedule includes a trip to Northwestern, home against Penn State, at Maryland, and hosting Purdue. The Hawkeyes play at Nebraska, host Minnesota and Illinois, and travel to Wisconsin in November.

Iowa’s football schedules through 2020 were announced previously. Following is Iowa’s 2021 schedule, with one date still to be scheduled.

Sept. 4 Indiana

Sept. 11 at Iowa State

Sept. 18 TBA

Sept. 25 Colorado State

Oct. 2 at Northwestern

Oct. 9 Penn State

Oct. 23 at Maryland

Oct. 30 Purdue

Nov. 6 at Nebraska

Nov. 13 Minnesota

Nov. 20 Illinois

Nov. 27 at Wisconsin

Reactions: naturalmwa
Agree, good addition. Hope we go out there for a game in future, they have a brand new on campus stadium.
My son graduated from CSU, but also graduated from Iowa's PT program. He bleeds black and gold, but he will have trouble deciding who to cheer for in that game probably.

Agree, good addition. Hope we go out there for a game in future, they have a brand new on campus stadium.
My son graduated from CSU, but also graduated from Iowa's PT program. He bleeds black and gold, but he will have trouble deciding who to cheer for in that game probably.
Home and away with a mountain west program what are we Iowa state??

Schedule starts with Indiana? That's different. I like it. CSU is a decent add, I guess. Similar to Wyoming. I'm with the others here, that last TBD should be a Power 5 school. Missouri, Virginia, NC State, Kentucky, teams like that.

EDIT: Already play ISU so no B12 teams. No PAC-12 schools, either, since Iowa doesn't recruit out there. The teams I put in that list are all potential recruiting areas--Iowa basketball has discovered the DC area. Let's see if the football team can figure it out.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
I disagree, this is a game we could lose against a team we'd get almost no credit for beating. If we're going to upgrade, might as well make it a P5. Otherwise just keep writing checks to the Miami (OH) and Kent State's of the world.

Reactions: BeardedAxeWound
I disagree, this is a game we could lose against a team we'd get almost no credit for beating. If we're going to upgrade, might as well make it a P5. Otherwise just keep writing checks to the Miami (OH) and Kent State's of the world.

In my opinion, there is a large difference between the way Kent State and Colorado State are viewed on the national level. This is a game we could lose, but we'll get some credit for beating them assuming they haven't collapsed by then.

IOWA ADDS COLORADO STATE TO 2021 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

IOWA CITY, Iowa - - The University of Iowa has added a home date with Colorado State to its 2021 football schedule. Colorado State will visit Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021.

Iowa opens the 2021 season with a Big Ten Conference game, hosting Indiana on Sept. 4. The Hawkeyes then travel to Iowa State the following weekend. A third nonconference opponent is needed to complete the 12-game schedule before the Hawkeyes close nonconference play against Colorado State. The two programs have not met on the football field.

Iowa’s October schedule includes a trip to Northwestern, home against Penn State, at Maryland, and hosting Purdue. The Hawkeyes play at Nebraska, host Minnesota and Illinois, and travel to Wisconsin in November.

Iowa’s football schedules through 2020 were announced previously. Following is Iowa’s 2021 schedule, with one date still to be scheduled.

Sept. 4 Indiana

Sept. 11 at Iowa State

Sept. 18 TBA

Sept. 25 Colorado State

Oct. 2 at Northwestern

Oct. 9 Penn State

Oct. 23 at Maryland

Oct. 30 Purdue

Nov. 6 at Nebraska

Nov. 13 Minnesota

Nov. 20 Illinois

Nov. 27 at Wisconsin
Nice, I can fly out of Vegas and land in Denver. I'm hyped.

Yawn. Another crappy program from a G5 conference coming to collect a check. At least Wyoming had a first round draft pick to make it interesting.

Would rather have kicked the tires on CU.

Reactions: bhawk24bob
Any ideas on how to get said P5 team to play in Iowa City with no return game?

It's not whining, he has a point. They're a decent add, but CSU has always been an upset special (they consistently beat Colorado 1 out of 3). With the new stadium this is clearly a program on the rise.

I was just pointing out that there is close to zero chance that we get a P5 team in here who doesn't want a return visit. Thus we're stuck with upgrades like CSU. He certainly has a point that they are a solid program capable of beating us.

Reactions: terrehawk
Any ideas on how to get said P5 team to play in Iowa City with no return game?
We both know how, and it's not going to happen. Chances are this is a moot argument, but IF Iowa has a good season, with a 9 game conference slate, nobody is going to be any more impressed in November with our September victory against Colorado State than they would with one against Northern Illinois (after all, there should be regular season victories over Wisky/Nebby at least in there).

I got no issues with this. And I wouldn't mind if we went to their place either. No SEC or ACC team is going to do a home and home with us anyway.

For those paying attention, looking like all 3 of Iowa's non-con this year are going to bowls. Not the Murderer's Row half this board demands...but I'd have to counter them with asking how many other schools in P5 can state that.

My bet is it ain't more than a handful.

Reactions: terrehawk
I can't really complain with CSU. I do wish they could find a team equal to csu that was in a state we recruited, I don't know the last Colorado guy on our teams, but I don't get to see everyone schedule.

Minnesota had a home and home with CSU in 2015 and 2016.

For that TBA date we need something a lil more in my opinion maybe a middle of the pack team like we did with Pittsburg a couple years ago?

Colorado State is legit. It's SO much better than UNI, Arkansas State, Ball State, and the rest of that gang. Wisconsin has recently played Alabama--yes, THAT Alabama--and LSU. I'd love to see Iowa follow suit, and dropping ISU to no more than every other year would be a huge help.

It's not whining, he has a point. They're a decent add, but CSU has always been an upset special (they consistently beat Colorado 1 out of 3). With the new stadium this is clearly a program on the rise.

To be fair, that's because CSU was better than Colorado those years. Colorado had some dark times only a few seasons ago.

Love this move. September Saturday mornings are a lot more fun to wake up to when you're playing a team with a pulse.

What about Appalachian State out of the mighty Sun Belt Conference?.........................

nobody is going to be any more impressed in November with our September victory against Colorado State than they would with one against Northern Illinois (after all, there should be regular season victories over Wisky/Nebby at least in there).

Why do you act like NIU is an easier win than CSU?

Massey rankings this year:

CSU 75
NIU 50

Game with CSU is fine. But sick Wisconsin has ND. That was our game. First choice from ND was Iowa. F'in Pollard and ISU threatening legal action if we wanted out for a 2 game series with ND. Horrrible. I don't care how good ISU is or will be but we are totally hamstrung with that game with our need for home games.

Do they still have the disc golf course on campus?

Arkansas as series with CSU starting next year and they play at CSU first, before getting them at home in 2019. I guess BB will miss out on that opportunity.
CSU has been competitive this year, but are lacking a defense. As with any long range schedule, who knows what a team is going to be like in 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT