ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa adds UNI to 2026 schedule

I just talked with a couple of D1 athlete's this weekend, they are against the whole NIL thing - "it's simply a way to get money (lots of money) into young, impressionable kids' hands and corrupt them".
I call B.S. No college student would refer to other college students this way.

it really isn't that bad of gig to be honest, to be a scholarship student\athlete".
Hot take.

I thought the B1G more or less banned playing FCS teams a few years ago and that only the already scheduled games could be played. Did I imagine that?

Don't go making sense in a thread bashing Barta/Ferentz for scheduling.

LOL - you know how fans bitch about our non-con...that we play teams that suck and are not interesting? We play too many cupcakes? Guess what, back then we were the cupcakes that the good teams were padding their schedules with. LMAO that people don't realize this.
That’s probably because a good portion of the posters either weren’t born, or old enough to remember.

Also, to those who say “just schedule a D-1 team”…..it’s not as easy as they seem to think.

I know you don't want to go on the road and stub your toe against a lesser opponent in a mediocre stadium, but hell Iowa has to play at Northwestern's 3A high school stadium every other year. If only Iowa State could be an every other year thing. Or whatever logistics need to be so a home and home could happen with someone else.

I know you don't want to go on the road and stub your toe against a lesser opponent in a mediocre stadium, but hell Iowa has to play at Northwestern's 3A high school stadium every other year. If only Iowa State could be an every other year thing. Or whatever logistics need to be so a home and home could happen with someone else.
I like the Iowa State game from the perspective that Iowa gets to play a team that very geared up to play Iowa/takes Iowa very seriously, which is good preparation for conference play. Campbell seems like a good coach, but the overreaching hot takes about his "greatness" from the national pundits and Iowa State fans gets tiresome.

It will be interesting that if the Big 12 loses its status as a "power conference" if Iowa looks to do the every other year thing. My guess is Iowa doesn't look to change things, just not how current leadership at Iowa operates. It would be nice to add in other regional teams like a Missouri or Colorado or Arkansas or name the school.

I like the Iowa State game from the perspective that Iowa gets to play a team that very geared up to play Iowa/takes Iowa very seriously, which is good preparation for conference play. Campbell seems like a good coach, but the overreaching hot takes about his "greatness" from the national pundits and Iowa State fans gets tiresome.

It will be interesting that if the Big 12 loses its status as a "power conference" if Iowa looks to do the every other year thing. My guess is Iowa doesn't look to change things, just not how current leadership at Iowa operates. It would be nice to add in other regional teams like a Missouri or Colorado or Arkansas or name the school.
I agree that the clones are totally amped up to play Iowa, and they give us their best shot. It is good preparation for Big Ten play. But it would be fun to play a P5 for two years out of four. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: iowa_Potato_Head
So we are never playing a non conference game outside the state of Iowa for remainder of our lives. Got it.
In the current situation/setup, correct unless you count a bowl game.

But much has changed in college FB in the last 2 decades, so I wouldn't count on that being status quo forever.

I see Iowa has scheduled some more big time MAC schools over the next 6 years...once a decade might play a P5 opponent outside of the midwest
Besides PSU with Pitt. Iowa is the only Big 10 school with an instate rival that is a power 5 school. Also get back to us when Nebraska starts playing more than 1 P5 team in the non conf. Speaking of MAC didn't you guys lose to one a couple of years ago?

Last edited:
  • Love
The contract with ISU goes through 2025 I think. I would guess it will keep going, but nothing 100% certain especially once Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big 12.
I think as long as Barta and Pollard are around they'll keep playing or least extending the series. I'm not opposed to the series living in state and I get why they keep playing it. But we know with Pollard and ISu they have zero desire to play any other P5 schools since its been about 20 years they played one not named Iowa. Granted be nice to play another big name school once in a while. Barta mentioned 5 years ago after week 1 had a bunch of big games. Mentioned playing a 7th de facto home game at a place like Soldier or Arrowhead. However since then nothing much has happened on that front minus some rumors of a possible ND game that swiftly went away once they signed on to play Wisconsin at Soldier Field.

• Haha
I think as long as Barta and Pollard are around they'll keep playing or least extending the series. I'm not opposed to the series living in state and I get why they keep playing it. But we know with Pollard and ISu they have zero desire to play any other P5 schools since its been about 20 years they played one not named Iowa. Granted be nice to play another big name school once in a while. Barta mentioned 5 years ago after week 1 had a bunch of big games. Mentioned playing a 7th de facto home game at a place like Soldier or Arrowhead. However since then nothing much has happened on that front minus some rumors of a possible ND game that swiftly went away once they signed on to play Wisconsin at Soldier Field.
I doubt ND was a serious option. I could be wrong. We Iowa fans tend to overstate how anxious a ND or Alabama or Georgia would be to schedule Iowa to play.

• Haha
Had looked this up some time ago. By my count I had Hayden playing 13 non-conference opponents in his career (excluding bowl games). Could be different based on whether the team was ranked at time they played or end of season.

Context is always important in anything. Hayden played 8 ranked non-conference games in his first 6 years, as those schedules were in place when he took the job. 1979, 11 game season, 8 conference games. Iowa's OOC was Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa State. Truly idiotic scheduling for a team with 20 years of non-winning seasons. Nebraska and Oklahoma were both Top 10.
1980 - Iowa played #6 Nebraska, ISU and Arizona.
1981 - Iowa played #7 Nebraska, #6 UCLA, ISU. Magical year where Iowa beat UCLA and Nebraska, and of course lost to ISU.
1982 - #3 Nebraska, ISU, Arizona
1983 - 9 game conference season for 1 season only. Iowa played ISU, #16 Penn State in non-con.
1984 - ISU, #12 PSU and Hawaii.

Then starting in 1985, Hayden got control of the schedule (actually starting many years prior as schedules are made in advance). Iowa played Drake, NIU, ISU with Hayden's best team in 1985. 1986, Iowa plays ISU, NIU, UTEP.

Then there was pressure to improve the non-conference schedule so Iowa added Tennessee in the pre-season game in 1987, added home and away games with Colorado, Oregon, Miami, and played NC State in another pre-season game.

And if you want to go down the road of bad losses, that is not unique to KF. I researched a post several years ago, and the data would show much worse losses in Hayden's tenure, especially in the last 5-6 years of his tenure. The number of .500 or below teams Hayden lost to was large and staggering. Seasons wrecked by losses to bad Minnesota teams, or Tulsa anyone? Both Hayden and KF are/were fantastic, and both were fantastic for their time. Hayden was a program reviver, and what he did at Iowa was great. Will always be the man as far as I'm concerned. What KF has done in taking over to maintain that level has been tremendous as well. If KF has another 3 good/great years, he will put together a decade from 2015-2024 that will be truly remarkable given his age and stage of career.

Iowa's non-con scheduling under KF was generally fine in my opinion until the Big 10 went to the 9-game conference slate. There is currently zero incentive to schedule tough OOC games.
I would love to see the Hawks come back down to Tucson to play the Wildcats -- having moved down here a few years ago, I need a live Hawkeye football fix! I know Arizona has been down in football, but they will be improved this season as the new coach Fisch is someone who wants to be here and is recruiting well and has put together a good staff.

I would love to have the men's BB team take a trip to the McKale Center as well. Both coaches like a free flowing offensive game and I think it would make a great national TV game.

You'd think 2020 would show ISU the benefit of not playing us lol

College students call each other way worse all the time.
Of course they do.
It's really not that unreasonable of a statement.
Yeah, it sorta is. 19-year-olds don't accuse other 19-year-olds of being "young and impressionable kids." Those are clearly old dude obfuscating's words and thoughts, wrapped up into a cool story to try to impress everyone with his anecdotal experience to strengthen his argument.

Of course they do.

Yeah, it sorta is. 19-year-olds don't accuse other 19-year-olds of being "young and impressionable kids." Those are clearly old dude obfuscating's words and thoughts, wrapped up into a cool story to try to impress everyone with his anecdotal experience to strengthen his argument.
You do realize some of the seniors on this years team are 23 and 24 years old, right?

Besides PSU with Pitt. Iowa is the only Big 10 school with an instate rival that is a power 5 school. Also get back to us when Nebraska starts playing more than 1 P5 team in the non conf. Speaking of MAC didn't you guys lose to one a couple of years ago?
Oregon, Miami, Oklahoma, UCLA, Arizona, Oklahoma (again) and Tennessee upcoming. It isn't even close.

• Angry
I would love to see the Hawks come back down to Tucson to play the Wildcats -- having moved down here a few years ago, I need a live Hawkeye football fix! I know Arizona has been down in football, but they will be improved this season as the new coach Fisch is someone who wants to be here and is recruiting well and has put together a good staff.

I would love to have the men's BB team take a trip to the McKale Center as well. Both coaches like a free flowing offensive game and I think it would make a great national TV game.
I think KF is on record as saying they aren't going to the Pacific time zone again why he's the head coach for a non-conference game after the ASU and Arizona experiences (2004 and 2010). Iowa is starting to try and recruit Arizona so maybe he will change his stance on that.

Basketball would be a great series. It's been done before, in the 1990s I believe.

I think KF is on record as saying they aren't going to the Pacific time zone again why he's the head coach for a non-conference game after the ASU and Arizona experiences (2004 and 2010). Iowa is starting to try and recruit Arizona so maybe he will change his stance on that.

Basketball would be a great series. It's been done before, in the 1990s I believe.
Well. Guess he has to change that stance now. Plus, that scheduled UNI game may not happen now.

ADVERTISEMENT