ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa among 6 B1G Programs Hit the Hardest by the Transfer Portal

"With All American Jack Campbell graduating and Seth Benson also moving on, Jacobs was set to move into the starting lineup and have a huge role next season. - Tom Kakert, HawkeyeReport.com."

No offense @TomKakert old buddy...but he was already fully entrenched in the starting lineup and having a "huge role" this season. The way it's worded above makes it sound like he was a spot duty backup just waiting around for upperclassmen to graduate, and decided to leave for more playing time.

they are going to be fine, they are already favored to land Cohen from Alabama, the guard that has yet to give up a sack in his entire career.
They might not get him but look what OTs that committed to them in the last 48 hours. Two of the top three in the nation. Two! If they could ever find a coach they could be dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: squeezebox
Didn't seem to impact GA much. They, like the other top 10 teams just rotate their stock of 5*'s.

Not screwing with you, but in my mind we are talking tOSU, Georgia and Bama…maybe Clemson but man have they struggled the last 2 years and maybe Michigan but honestly they have been on a good run, but they aren’t the other 3….who else?

Not screwing with you, but in my mind we are talking tOSU, Georgia and Bama…maybe Clemson but man have they struggled the last 2 years and maybe Michigan but honestly they have been on a good run, but they aren’t the other 3….who else?
Those 3 as well. The top teams will continue to be, they will offer the stupid, crazy NIL deals.

Just to setup a separate D1 division for $$$ schools, let the 6-10 of them play each other and decide who their winner is. Have the other division not allow crossover play between the divisions; create a FCS style playoff with "scholy" and walk ons only. Let the NIL schools eat their own.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Those 3 as well. The top teams will continue to be, they will offer the stupid, crazy NIL deals.

Just to setup a separate D1 division for $$$ schools, let the 6-10 of them play each other and decide who their winner is. Have the other division not allow crossover play between the divisions; create a FCS style playoff with "scholy" and walk ons only. Let the NIL schools eat their own.

Might come to that!

Getting McNamara for Padilla was a huge net gain. Getting All was a gain, at least partially offsetting the losses at WR. Losing Johnson and Bruce hurts but with a couple of pickups from the portal, those could be turned into gains, especially considering how much of Johnson's career he has been injured.
Losing Jacobs is highlighted with the graduation of Benson and Campbell, but could be mitigated by a transfer or a young player coming on. I tend to worry less about Iowa's D and there have been some pretty good recruits at LB recently. I won't worry about that position until I see the team on the field next year.

And now this...I already miss the old days of just a couple of years ago. NCAA sports is spiraling.

It truly is amazing…. I know I bring this up a lot, but these professional salaries have gotten so grossly out of whack and I mention Aaron Rodgers all the time but man watching him on the field. The way he rolls his eyes and his facial expressions. Holy shit dude, he makes $50 million a year and he has made that team worse this year just by his piss, poor attitude and refusal to run the concepts of the offense!

Of course this is where we are at…. Was it you that said a few posts back that eventually this will turn into a gender issue, because the women aren’t capable of making as much money!

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
It truly is amazing…. I know I bring this up a lot, but these professional salaries have gotten so grossly out of whack and I mention Aaron Rodgers all the time but man watching him on the field. The way he rolls his eyes and his facial expressions. Holy shit dude, he makes $50 million a year and he has made that team worse this year just by his piss, poor attitude and refusal to run the concepts of the offense!

Of course this is where we are at…. Was it you that said a few posts back that eventually this will turn into a gender issue, because the women aren’t capable of making as much money!
And he does the magic mushrooms in South America

This is exactly what needs to happen. But the NCAA wants you to pretend that there is still student in athlete. I had wanted this change before NIL though. The top teams have always bought players. Have the cheaters division. They have their playoff. We have ours. I believe you would have just as many eyes on it as there are now. I hate our current system. But right now the money is too great to leave.

Reactions: obfuscating

You brought up a great point. Where is the gender equity in sports payout? Top woman BB player makes a pittance compared to male. Now add that men want to compete as women.

Other than Jacobs, maybe Keagan Johnson, no major losses.
Agree with this and we signed 2 pretty damn good ones coming in. Need more obviously and with NIL this having to be patient becomes the new normal. Kids are going to take their time and for some there will not be a chair when the music stops.

I agree. What I think will happen is once they expand it to 12 teams it will be pretty much the same teams (Ohio State, Michigan Ala, Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame in the playoffs for a few years. Then they will expand to about 20 to try and keep interest. Bowl games outside of the playoffs will go away once they expand to 12. Lower tier programs like Iowa, Iowa State, Purdue etc. will play their regular season games and once they realize they have too many losses to get to the playoffs there is nothing left for them to play for. Interest will drop for each team. Players will start opting out for the rest of the season. Just like what is happening now for the bowl games. It will just happen sooner. What could happen is teams in the playoffs could go out and get players from these lower tier teams to transfer during the season. Is there anything to stop them from doing this now? Why not go and get a good kicker for the playoff run. Lower tier programs will be like the minors as you say. The fan bases of the big time programs are happy with this because it does not really affect them.

Reactions: obfuscating
this was from 2 days ago

17 Hurricanes have departed

Holy crap - 17?? I assume they also have some players with expiring eligibility (note - I didn't say graduate), that's a pretty big hole to fill.

How many of them on offense? Lots of fans here want Miami's OC, maybe not such a good idea?

Or are they leaving because he's leaving?

🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Franisdaman
"With All American Jack Campbell graduating and Seth Benson also moving on, Jacobs was set to move into the starting lineup and have a huge role next season. - Tom Kakert, HawkeyeReport.com."

No offense @TomKakert old buddy...but he was already fully entrenched in the starting lineup and having a "huge role" this season. The way it's worded above makes it sound like he was a spot duty backup just waiting around for upperclassmen to graduate, and decided to leave for more playing time.
Well according to the depth chart and the snap counts he was splitting snaps with the Cash. Next season he would have moved into a full snap count role and likely not leaving the field. That's the point I was making and the data and snap counts back that up.

Reactions: LUC8
Getting McNamara for Padilla was a huge net gain. Getting All was a gain, at least partially offsetting the losses at WR. Losing Johnson and Bruce hurts but with a couple of pickups from the portal, those could be turned into gains, especially considering how much of Johnson's career he has been injured.
Losing Jacobs is highlighted with the graduation of Benson and Campbell, but could be mitigated by a transfer or a young player coming on. I tend to worry less about Iowa's D and there have been some pretty good recruits at LB recently. I won't worry about that position until I see the team on the field next year.
How does gaining a great tight end offset losing six scholarship wide receivers, in the past year, that play a different position??? All steps in for Laporta, so we will have one of the top tight ends combo in the country with Lachey, similar to what we had this past season, no matter how underutilized it was for a number of reasons. Please explain.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Agree with this and we signed 2 pretty damn good ones coming in. Need more obviously and with NIL this having to be patient becomes the new normal. Kids are going to take their time and for some there will not be a chair when the music stops.
When the music stops, there will be a LOT of players without a chair. AND no free education, and none of the many perks that come with a scholarship...

The portal will end up being a nightmare for thousands, at least until the extra covid year players cycle through. So, another 2-3 years of players missing out... Thinking the grass is greener...

Reactions: Bishop1971
Robert’s showed a lot of promise too. But I’ll trade a solid/good LB, CB and WR for a good QB any day of the week. Especially knowing how Parker continually reloads at LB and CB
Yeah Roberts does hurt. But we have depth there.

Ohio st 5 star commit QB Raiola decommitted. I would go after him asap.
Probably not enough $$. I wouldn't want to pay an unproven player at QB. No way... Use the cash for several other players, at other positions than QB - with experience...

Last edited:
Well according to the depth chart and the snap counts he was splitting snaps with the Cash. Next season he would have moved into a full snap count role and likely not leaving the field. That's the point I was making and the data and snap counts back that up.
Ol' Doodle's not seeking to get into a protracted argument with you over this. But the fact is he was listed as a starter before his injury. Not a co-starter. A starter. And was listed as such with the pre-season Butkus Award Watchlist, which isn't prone to including backups.

Now you can unilaterally decide to redefine the word "starter" as being based on some combination of playing time metrics. That's your prerogative. But don't mind the rest of the football world if we go ahead and continue to define it as the person who takes the first snap of the game at their position.

You brought up a great point. Where is the gender equity in sports payout? Top woman BB player makes a pittance compared to male. Now add that men want to compete as women.
WNBA is 12million in the red per season. That equates to every player owing 83k back to the league to break even (NBA funds the wnba).

Reactions: NI hawk
Ol' Doodle's not seeking to get into a protracted argument with you over this. But the fact is he was listed as a starter before his injury. Not a co-starter. A starter. And was listed as such with the pre-season Butkus Award Watchlist, which isn't prone to including backups.

Now you can unilaterally decide to redefine the word "starter" as being based on some combination of playing time metrics. That's your prerogative. But don't mind the rest of the football world if we go ahead and continue to define it as the person who takes the first snap of the game at their position.
I never said he was a backup. He would have had a larger role. You are exaggerating what I wrote into something it's not. He played in what four games this year before being injured and probably played less than half the snaps in those games. That's the reality and the reality is he would have probably played 90% next year had he decided to stay. That's the point. Carry on.

I never said he was a backup. He would have had a larger role. You are exaggerating what I wrote into something it's not. He played in what four games this year before being injured and probably played less than half the snaps in those games. That's the reality and the reality is he would have probably played 90% next year had he decided to stay. That's the point. Carry on.
Simply put, you wrote that he was "set to move into the starting lineup." Those were your words. When asked how he could move into something he was already in, you redefined what a "starter" is.

And they lived happily ever after.

The End.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Holy crap - 17?? I assume they also have some players with expiring eligibility (note - I didn't say graduate), that's a pretty big hole to fill.

How many of them on offense? Lots of fans here want Miami's OC, maybe not such a good idea?

Or are they leaving because he's leaving?

🤷‍♂️

Duh U fans (all 17 of them) want Gattis gone. He took a preseason top 10 QB and made him look like Petras's twin brother. They were held without a TD for 9 straight quarters at one point and had a whopping 98 yards vs Clemson (9 yards in the first half).

Michigan didn't exactly fight to keep him last year and they certainly didn't skip a beat without him this year.

Reactions: NI hawk
Simply put, you wrote that he was "set to move into the starting lineup." Those were your words. When asked how he could move into something he was already in, you redefined what a "starter" is.

And they lived happily ever after.

The End.
Yes because in the four games he played in this season he split time. The. End.

Reactions: BBHawk
How does gaining a great tight end offset losing six scholarship wide receivers, in the past year, that play a different position??? All steps in for Laporta, so we will have one of the top tight ends combo in the country with Lachey, similar to what we had this past season, no matter how underutilized it was for a number of reasons. Please explain.
I wouldn't go buy that Erick All Iowa jersey just yet

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT