ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Among Schools w/ Lowest Number of Transfer Portal Entries Since Aug 1

When teams go to the portal for a lot of players, they lose a lot of players to the portal. It really is that simple.

Iowa uses the portal to fill holes, not to find a player that might be a little better than the ones they already have.

Some folks may not like this strategy, but it is a strategy.

When teams go to the portal for a lot of players, they lose a lot of players to the portal. It really is that simple.

Iowa uses the portal to fill holes, not to find a player that might be a little better than the ones they already have.

Teams also lose players because of lack of playing time or because they got passed by a better player (example: Tyrone Tracy).

It's interesting, too, that Padilla is coming back.

Or maybe it has more to do with coaching changes and playing time, but what do I know.

Getting a future NFL first round QB in the portal is bad for the Iowa culture

Does anyone know how many teams have gained a transfer portal QB that took them to and won a Conference title?

I am thinking OL, DL, possibly Receiver, Running Back could fill some spots lost in the Transfer Portal or to the Draft, that may not have an equivalent in the 2022 recruiting class or current Depth chart.

I am guessing Iowa likes it's QB room now. (maybe you don't, but the coaches do). For that matter, fwiw, i don't think we have seen the best that both Spencer and Alex have to offer.

Guessing also, they like the current depth and possible incoming Frosh starters at DB, LB and DEs.

Finally, considering the time spent on the average normal recruit, it does not make sense compress the process on a large number of players completely unknown to our coaches, on kids who effectively know nothing about our program and personnel. Remember, we have a limitted number of staff members qualified to recruit with a limitted amount of time free to focus on the Transfer Portal resources in additon to their other in season and normal recruiting responsibilities.

So unless we already know these candidates very, very well, and we were close 2nd or 3rd pick the first time around, its not worth the time or the risk.

its not quite the bonanza of talent it seams everyone seems to think it is.

Yes, there is an opportunity here, but only for carefully vetted, major upgrades (likely immediate starter) that we are confident and comfortable with through many hours of work on the original recruiting trail.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many teams have gained a transfer portal QB that took them to and won a Conference title?

I am thinking OL, DL, possibly Receiver, Running Back could fill some spots lost in the portal or to the Draft, that may not have an equivalent in the 2022 recruiting class.

I am guessing Iowa likes its QB room now. (maybe you don't, but the coaches do).

Guessing also, they like the current depth and possible incoming Frosh starters at DB, LB and DEs.

Finally, considering the time spent on the average normal recruit, it does not make sense compress the process on a large number of players completely unknown to our coaches, on kids who effectively know nothing about our program and personnel. Remember, we have a limitted number of staff members qualified to recruit with a limitted amount of time free to focus on the Transfer Portal resources in additon to their other in season and normal recruiting responsibilities.

So unless we already know these candidates very, very well, and we were close 2nd or 3rd pick the first time around, its not worth the time or the risk.

its not quite the bonanza of talent it seams everyone seems to think it is.

Yes, there is an opportunity here, but only for major upgrades that we are confident and comfortable with through many hours of work on the original recruiting trail.
Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Troy Aikmen, Russell Wilson , Cam Newton, hell even Scott Frost. Times are changing, and as Finebaum stated directly, there is now free agency in the NCAA, adapt or perish.

Last edited:
Big arm. Not very mobile. Worryingly low HS completion %. Rumored to have trouble adjusting to college football, whatever that means. Crazy mom.
happiness-come-down.gif

Baker Mayfield, Troy Aikmen, Russell Wilson , Cam Newton, hell even Scott Frost. Times are changing, and as Finebaum stated directly, there is now free agency in the NCAA, adapt or perish.
I will give you Wilson, Baker and Newton of course, but Aikmen did not win a PAC 12 Title. And Scott Frost, for god''s sake, this is an Iowa forum, very brave of you, yet hardly a modern player. Are you sure you want to claim a Neb QB with a Career completion percentage of 52%, 20 TDs and 12 Ints in 4 seasons. We have two QBs on Iowa's current roster with better numbers than Frost.

More than I thought (Mayfield ,Wilson, Newton - Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Auburn), but really, how many failed experiments I wonder.

Hardly the huge lost opportunity people think we are missing out on.

And we are adapting, in a very carefully, well thought out way.

I will give you Wilson, Baker and Newton of course, but Aikmen did not win a PAC 12 Title. And Scott Frost, for god''s sake, this is an Iowa forum, very brave of you, yet hardly a modern player. Are you sure you want to claim a Neb QB with a Career completion percentage of 52%, 20 TDs and 12 Ints in 4 seasons. We have two QBs on Iowa's current roster with better numbers than Frost.

More than I thought (Mayfield ,Wilson, Newton - Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Auburn), but really, how many failed experiments I wonder.

Hardly the huge lost opportunity people think we are missing out on.

And we are adapting, in a very carefully, well thought out way.
The transfer portal is significantly different, and Iowa is not looking at transfers replacing the better part of their team, they are 1-3 players away from making a significant run at the BIG next year. You can still be loyal to a QB and open up competition. Smothers has not transferred and Max Dugan has not tranfered. Which QB are you afraid of losing?

There is nothing brave about stating Frost had a great senior year with Nebraska, I would assume any of thier posters would say the same about Banks. Scott Frost had 1100 yards of rushing his senior year, and you think either of Iowa's QB's are better? He had 19 rushing TDs alone.

Last edited:

I'll agree when our hole at qb is filled.....

The transfer portal is significantly different, and Iowa is not looking at transfers replacing the better part of their team, they are 1-3 players away from making a significant run at the BIG next year. You can still be loyal to a QB and open up competition. Smothers has not transferred and Max Dugan has not tranfered. Which QB are you afraid of losing?

There is nothing brave about stating Frost had a great senior year with Nebraska, I would assume any of thier posters would say the same about Banks. Scott Frost had 1100 yards of rushing his senior year, and you think either of Iowa's QB's are better? He had 19 rushing TDs alone.
Frost was a joke as a passing QB. 5 TDs and 4 Ints his great Sr Season as a running QB. Child please. Iowa is not looking for Run Only QB, seriously.

Fost was a joke as a passing QB. Child please. Iowa is not looking for Run Only QB, seriously.
Again, you asked for examples. I gave them. Would I like Iowa to garner a transfer QB, yes, unequivocally yes. Now will that happen, not likely because of this antiquated thought. I will leave it at this with Frost, he led that team to a split national title. If Iowa would pull that off, I really don't care if it's a run first, or pass first offense.

May get blasted for this but perhaps maybe the guys that would leave Iowa would likely end up at a non-P5 school therefore its better just to stay and try to work your way into a spot? Like Padilla. Looking at most of the other schools that may be the case as well. Blue bloods have so much talent that doesn't play so you would expect them to have high attrition.

Again, you asked for examples. I gave them. Would I like Iowa to garner a transfer QB, yes, unequivocally yes. Now will that happen, not likely because of this antiquated thought. I will leave it at this with Frost, he led that team to a split national title. If Iowa would pull that off, I really don't care if it's a run first, or pass first offense.
The National titles are hard to argue, unless you want to discount the one with the Flea-kicker play vs Missou, Nebraska should have lost that game...and would not have won the National title as a result.

Ok, but another way of looking at it is that Iowa is taking a reactionary approach and not taking the bull by the horns when it comes to portal recruiting. I see nothing wrong with going after an available proven college FB talent who would be a major upgrade to a position, even if you have a capable placeholder there. Not naming any specific teams or players, just pointing out that there are numerous examples of other schools doing this and benefiting from it, so perhaps Iowa needs to rethink their "Iowa Nice strategy."

ADVERTISEMENT