ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Among Schools w/ Lowest Number of Transfer Portal Entries Since Aug 1

Why would you hate someone that never did anything to you to warrant that kind of emotion? Its basketball. People have lost all perspective nowadays.
For lying to his teammates and his coaches, to their faces? For being a two-faced snake? I'd say that's pretty fair. Again, it has nothing to do with actual basketball, since it's not like we miss him all that badly.

Hate might be a strong word, but I'm not rooting for CJ Fredrick or his uncle any time soon.

For lying to his teammates and his coaches, to their faces? For being a two-faced snake? I'd say that's pretty fair. Again, it has nothing to do with actual basketball, since it's not like we miss him all that badly.

Hate might be a strong word, but I'm not rooting for CJ Fredrick or his uncle any time soon.
I said before the season we probably wouldn't miss him much. People leave jobs like this every day. You're only hearing one side of the story. Hate is way too strong a word.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I said before the season we probably wouldn't miss him much. People leave jobs like this every day. You're only hearing one side of the story. Hate is way too strong a word.
I have this story on good authority.

I already agreed hate was too strong a word. But I won't shed a tear for CJ when he gets recruited over at UK after Fran was the only one to give him a shot at P5 ball.

I have this story on good authority.

I already agreed hate was too strong a word. But I won't shed a tear for CJ when he gets recruited over at UK after Fran was the only one to give him a shot at P5 ball.
Did you hear CJ's side?

I heard a player's side.

Why do you feel the need to defend him?
So you haven't heard both sides. I'm not defending him. I really have no idea why he left. I'm guessing you really don't either, but a player with a good relationship with his coaches and teammates who feels good about his situation doesn't leave like this. He obviously didn't want to continue his career at Iowa and maybe his relationship with Fran was more strained than anyone, including Fran realized. If so that leads to a breakdown in communication. That's when people leave like he did. Best for all parties that he left, regardless of how it went down.

So you haven't heard both sides. I'm not defending him. I really have no idea why he left. I'm guessing you really don't either, but a player with a good relationship with his coaches and teammates who feels good about his situation doesn't leave like this. He obviously didn't want to continue his career at Iowa and maybe his relationship with Fran was more strained than anyone, including Fran realized. If so that leads to a breakdown in communication. That's when people leave like he did. Best for all parties that he left, regardless of how it went down.
If you have no idea, why even weigh in then?

I trust my source on this one. Kentucky was tampering with CJ as far back as January of last year.

Why would you hate someone that never did anything to you to warrant that kind of emotion? Its basketball. People have lost all perspective nowadays.
Hatred might be too strong for any transfer but there are some worse than others. TT dropped far too many passes early in the season, and he was usually the primary target at receiver. Obviously Sam was usually the primary target. The kid wants more downs and he transferred to a great passing offense.

For all the caterwauling and the permabitchers, remember the dirges sung after Oliver Martin transferred? He did nothing for Nebraska. Oliver was a much higher ranked recruit. TT regressed each of the last two seasons. There are four guys ahead of TT at Iowa, maybe five had he stuck around next season. Hawk fans should have no reason to even notice TT now, he's gone and he did the right way. TT did everything asked of him, remained a good student and player, didn't lie about his intentions and left with his chin up. No hard feelings it just didn't work out.

Now, while again hatred is perhaps too harsh but that sneaky little prick CJ Fredrick did everything the wrong way. Negotiated with Ky while still under an Iowa scholarship; quit on his team down the stretch; lied to his teammates and coaches less that 24 hours before transferring. Now that is a shit bag that earned the animosity of Hawkeye fans. His most recent broken leg was just Karma's way of reminding CJ that she really is a bitch.​

That's unfair. All we can do is ban them, which we have done. The one today is new and guess what, I banned it and it's no longer liking posts. My guess is they will create another one and we will do this dance again with you saying we are doing nothing. Again, that's not true. Unfortunately there's now a lot we can beyond what we are already doing. Thanks for your understanding and if you have further questions please feel free to email me to report the posts.
Thank you Tom and Mike - has to be a pain in the ass to stay on top of stuff like this. Really appreciate your efforts, we wouldn’t have a board if it weren’t for you guys So thanks for what you do and thanks for dropping the hammer on that yahoo. .

Hatred might be too strong for any transfer but there are some worse than others. TT dropped far too many passes early in the season, and he was usually the primary target at receiver. Obviously Sam was usually the primary target. The kid wants more downs and he transferred to a great passing offense.

For all the caterwauling and the permabitchers, remember the dirges sung after Oliver Martin transferred? He did nothing for Nebraska. Oliver was a much higher ranked recruit. TT regressed each of the last two seasons. There are four guys ahead of TT at Iowa, maybe five had he stuck around next season. Hawk fans should have no reason to even notice TT now, he's gone and he did the right way. TT did everything asked of him, remained a good student and player, didn't lie about his intentions and left with his chin up. No hard feelings it just didn't work out.

Now, while again hatred is perhaps too harsh but that sneaky little prick CJ Fredrick did everything the wrong way. Negotiated with Ky while still under an Iowa scholarship; quit on his team down the stretch; lied to his teammates and coaches less that 24 hours before transferring. Now that is a shit bag that earned the animosity of Hawkeye fans. His most recent broken leg was just Karma's way of reminding CJ that she really is a bitch.​
I don't hate anyone. I don't wish injury upon others. I don't believe in karma doling out injuries to people who decide they want out of a basketball relationship. People who do take this shit way too seriously. Just my opinion.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Well we had one leave and still unsure if we have any p5 worthy qbs
Well there will be 4 in camp in the fall between Petras, Padilla, Labas, and the freshman, and everyone knows that they aren't out there aggressively seeking an upgrade that frankly wouldn't play anyway. Kirk doesn't work that way. He can barely bring himself to insert a 3rd year replacement when the starter has an injury to his throwing shoulder. Better hope instead that one of the 3 on the roster from last year takes a huge step forward because that's what we're working with.

Well there will be 4 in camp in the fall between Petras, Padilla, Labas, and the freshman, and everyone knows that they aren't out there aggressively seeking an upgrade that frankly wouldn't play anyway. Kirk doesn't work that way. He can barely bring himself to insert a 3rd year replacement when the starter has an injury to his throwing shoulder. Better hope instead that one of the 3 on the roster from last year takes a huge step forward because that's what we're working with.
That's kirks fault and super foolish

That's why I'm a fan of Padilla staying and think that his taking over the starting position would be the best situation for Iowa. We have seen Petras' ceiling, and the freshmen may be talented but I don't see either of them suddenly taking over the QB spot. Padilla has some experience and has shown enough that I think he has a chance to make this huge step forward we need.

Reactions: natewantofbees
I don't hate anyone. I don't wish injury upon others. I don't believe in karma doling out injuries to people who decide they want out of a basketball relationship. People who do take this shit way too seriously. Just my opinion.
Well I guess you're just saintlier than me. If you have lived your entire life and not found someone you hate you've lived a naive life.

CJ ****ed the Hawks. I am a Hawk fan, therefore he ****ed me. He did so in despicable fashion. I didn't wish injury on CJ but I do find a sense of justice for KYs tampering and the chicken shit dishonest way he left. KY tampered, CJ negotiated in violation of his contract with Iowa and lied to his teammates, the day before he transferred. Happy to see all that slimy conduct give Kentucky a smaller return than they expected.

You're just crazy if you don't believe in karma or some other natural law that makes bad things happen to bad people.

That's why I'm a fan of Padilla staying and think that his taking over the starting position would be the best situation for Iowa. We have seen Petras' ceiling, and the freshmen may be talented but I don't see either of them suddenly taking over the QB spot. Padilla has some experience and has shown enough that I think he has a chance to make this huge step forward we need.
While Padilla has not had a lot of game time yet, I'm not convinced from what we've seen that he's the answer. I am convinced that Petras is not. However, I fully expect that Spencer will be the starter come fall after having "won" an "open competition" for the job.
I would love to see Labas and May actually get a real shot, but that is simply not how KF rolls. The complicated offense (that produces little in actual yardage and points) cannot be run by a newbie. It requires at least 2 years in the program.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Well we had one leave and still unsure if we have any p5 worthy qbs

Holy Snikes I just decided to do a tiny bit of perusing and here you are taking more jabs at the head coach of the football team my Lord a mighty… Dude you may have a problem

Do me a favor explain “ceiling” to me… it’s hard for me to know where somebody’s ceiling is at. Tom Brady was pretty hit and miss in college and seemingly got better in the pros… Josh Allen had great physical attributes but it took his third year in Buffalo to get really good… So do me a favor, just explain this to me and maybe I’ll be a little smarter because of it?!

Reactions: kceasthawk
While Padilla has not had a lot of game time yet, I'm not convinced from what we've seen that he's the answer. I am convinced that Petras is not. However, I fully expect that Spencer will be the starter come fall after having "won" an "open competition" for the job.
I would love to see Labas and May actually get a real shot, but that is simply not how KF rolls. The complicated offense (that produces little in actual yardage and points) cannot be run by a newbie. It requires at least 2 years in the program.

And yet if memory serves Nate Stanley had to play as a true freshman and then took over the reins as a true sophomore…

One thing I’ve always marveled at about Kirk Ferentz. He must be other ****ing worldly at the things he does well because he has so many horrific flaws it’s shocking to think he has won as many games as he has.

Do me a favor explain “ceiling” to me… it’s hard for me to know where somebody’s ceiling is at. Tom Brady was pretty hit and miss in college and seemingly got better in the pros… Josh Allen had great physical attributes but it took his third year in Buffalo to get really good… So do me a favor, just explain this to me and maybe I’ll be a little smarter because of it?!
It means he’s not going to ever get better than he has already shown. If he turns into another Tom Brady or Josh Allen, I will be happy to eat crow, but we both know I’m right.

Feel smarter yet?

It means he’s not going to ever get better than he has already shown. If he turns into another Tom Brady or Josh Allen, I will be happy to eat crow, but we both know I’m right.

Feel smarter yet?

We do…?! We both know you’re right, hmmm that begs a question have you ever been wrong?

and since you were so quick to respond the first time I think Ill ask you one more. Take a look at Josh Allens statistics throughout college and tell me…would you have been happy to have him as Iowa’s quarterback?

and since I fear you’ll look to the fact that he is now an all pro quarterback and say hell yes I want you to explain to me what you see in his statistics and in the Iowa versus Wyoming game that suggest to you he would’ve been a perfect fit for Iowa?!

And if it’s something hyperbolic or anecdotal like….”he could really throw the ball” he made some great throws, etc, etc…I’m gonna tell you right now Spencer Petras can too….

And since I know it will be impossible for you to separate yourself from the situation Josh Allen was 23 of 40 versus us he was nine of 24 versus Oregon he was nine of 19 versus Hawaii…. With two touchdowns and three interceptions. I’ve been here way too long & seen way too much bullshit on this site to think for one single second that everyone on here would be calling for the second quarterback!

and there in lies the rub…

I would love to see Labas and May actually get a real shot, but that is simply not how KF rolls.
May yes. It has been 22 years since Beutjer started as a true freshman on a 3 win team. However, the claim that KF won't let younger better QBs jump upper classmen is an urban myth.

True soph Stanley jumped junior 4* Tyler Weigers
True soph Beathard jumped future NFL RS junior 4/5* Jake Rudock
True soph Stanzi jumped 4* recruit junior Jake Christensen (Ricky might have been a RS soph)
True soph Tate jumped junior Jason Manson. (I'd like to see them reunited on the staff).

There just haven't been many occasions when a need for a QB change arose in the last 20 years. BB wasn't challenged senior year. Nate Chandler wasn't challenged. Drew held the position for three years. Ricky held the position for three years. JVB held for two years. Rudock had no serious challenge as a soph. CJ had no challenge for the two seasons he started. Nate had no challenge for the three seasons he started.

Labas will be starting before Big Ten play and I suspect by game 1. The alternatives, Petras or Padilla, have shown themselves incapable of quality play over an entire game. The coaches don't read the chat boards but they do listen to donors at I Club functions and other fundraisers. They also watch the play on the field. The coaches aren't doing any mea culpas in public but people are tripping on acid if they think the coaches don't perceive the existing quarterbacking as a problem.

Last edited:
We do…?! We both know you’re right, hmmm that begs a question have you ever been wrong?

and since you were so quick to respond the first time I think Ill ask you one more. Take a look at Josh Allens statistics throughout college and tell me…would you have been happy to have him as Iowa’s quarterback?

and since I fear you’ll look to the fact that he is now an all pro quarterback and say hell yes I want you to explain to me what you see in his statistics and in the Iowa versus Wyoming game that suggest to you he would’ve been a perfect fit for Iowa?!

And if it’s something hyperbolic or anecdotal like….”he could really throw the ball” he made some great throws, etc, etc…I’m gonna tell you right now Spencer Petras can too….

And since I know it will be impossible for you to separate yourself from the situation Josh Allen was 23 of 40 versus us he was nine of 24 versus Oregon he was nine of 19 versus Hawaii…. With two touchdowns and three interceptions. I’ve been here way too long & seen way too much bullshit on this site to think for one single second that everyone on here would be calling for the second quarterback!

and there in lies the rub…
Just stop. These Josh Allen comparisons are just silly and making you look foolish.

Professional scouts identified Allen as a potential NFL star QB by the time he was going into his final year. Not a single scout will ever peg SP as someone who could throw like Allen or be a potential NFL anything. Allen's college QB stats just showed that he didn't play for a very good team, while Petras' stats and film just show what everyone already knows - he's a bad P-5 QB. SP has already shown us who he is or ever could be, whether you like it or not.

Just stop. These Josh Allen comparisons are just silly and making you look foolish.

Professional scouts identified Allen as a potential NFL star QB by the time he was going into his final year. Not a single scout will ever peg SP as someone who could throw like Allen or be a potential NFL anything. Allen's college QB stats just showed that he didn't play for a very good team, while Petras' stats and film just show what everyone already knows - he's a bad P-5 QB. SP has already shown us who he is or ever could be, whether you like it or not.

I originally brought up Josh Allen?! And he is the only narrative that works here?!

Like that would be the only instance in your life or mine either for that matter that I made a definitive statement that ended up being wrong, right?

I had to finally put that ignorant fool on ignore. Don't waste your breath...

• Haha
Reactions: Frosty7130
There just haven't been many occasions when a need for a QB change arose in the last 20 years. BB wasn't challenged senior year. Nate Chandler wasn't challenged. Drew held the position for three years. Ricky held the position for three years. JVB held for two years. Rudock had no serious challenge as a soph. CJ had no challenge for the two seasons he started. Nate had no challenge for the three seasons he started.
The situation with Rudock and Beathard may have been even more interesting. Beathard still played as a RS FR in 2013 ... despite the fact that Rudock was the unquestioned starter. That one was quite the eyebrow raiser. It's worth noting that Rudock was a redshirt SO in 2013 who had received ZERO prior game reps. Hawk fans were a little livid about that ... but they were too busy throwing poor Vandenburg under the buss for the 2012 season. I frankly agree with the coaches on that one ... why ruin a young QB by playing behind a complete shit OL ... or at least it was crappy once BOTH Scherff and Donnal went down. Of course, what was the worst thing about that season was how our WRs were completely on a different page than the QB (that one was on Soup Campbell).

Anyhow, I was shocked that Beathard still managed to get woven into the gameplan in 2013. Rudock continued to FAIL to separate himself in 2014. However, it's also a knock on Beathard that CJ wasn't mature enough to seize the spot outright either. Ultimately, for what was likely confidence issues (looking over his shoulder and whatnot) ... Rudock's development stagnated to a point where the reigns got handed over entirely to Beathard ... and the rest is history.

At the start of the season CJ had some miserable moments his sophomore season. So you're not dumping your two year starter based what CJ did early. I mean Jake had good passing numbers. North of 60%, 3/1 TD/Int ratio and I think around 7.4 (or five) YPA.

But CJ kept improving and was clearly the better leader and athlete. When the choice was forced, Kirk went with guy with the bigger arm and better upside. This happens every season somewhere. It's been the only real QB dilemma since those two first seasons with McCann injured and Scot Mullen setting Big Ten turnover records (I believe he had 7, either 4 interceptions and three fumbles lost but it could be the other way around.

Everybody:

It has been disabled for a couple of days. Banning a poster, will not remove his Likes. I can’t do anything about it except delete the entire thread. You tell me, what do you want?

Mike
Love your tag line Mike, and while true, not as fun to experiment with...... ;)

Reactions: Mike Zierath
And yet if memory serves Nate Stanley had to play as a true freshman and then took over the reins as a true sophomore…

One thing I’ve always marveled at about Kirk Ferentz. He must be other ****ing worldly at the things he does well because he has so many horrific flaws it’s shocking to think he has won as many games as he has.
This exactly. For all the bitchin on here you'd think Iowa was a 2-10 team every year.....Can someone say Bob Commings?

portal doesn't allow kf to coach "his guys" the "iowa way"....you know, unathletically.
The very height of ignorance right there. Yes Iowa is SO unathletic. Try telling the almost 50 teams we've beaten in the last 4 seasons that. The ranked teams we've beaten at Kinnick, like 5 in a row, or all the players that go on to the league.

Reactions: iafan44 and BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT