ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa and the NIL

jhawkinaz

HR MVP
Dec 16, 2012
Do you think this name, image, and likeness stuff could benefit Iowa when it comes to big time local recruits? To be able to tell a kid like Proctor, “ hey you can go to Alabama and be a little fish in a big pond with a bunch of people who don’t know you from Adam, or you can come to Iowa and have an opportunity to really market yourself as a hometown hero.”

I think it could possibly be an angle coaches could use.

In a word, No. How much publicity and media coverage does an Alabama get vs an Iowa?
I understand your point: Be the local hero in Iowa City instead of trying to share the limelight and $ with 5 other first round draft picks. I still think a kid wants to go to the school where he feels the his best chance of his earning NFL riches lies. There are too many variables in play that come with that decison. The NIL pales in comparison to what the NFL career will bring. however, if it were to happen, I think an Iowa player would have to accomplish that first and be used as an example for recruits. Such as the unheralded walk on that gets huge and blossoms at Iowa and ends up being a first round pick.

In a word, No. How much publicity and media coverage does an Alabama get vs an Iowa?
I understand your point: Be the local hero in Iowa City instead of trying to share the limelight and $ with 5 other first round draft picks. I still think a kid wants to go to the school where he feels the his best chance of his earning NFL riches lies. There are too many variables in play that come with that decison. The NIL pales in comparison to what the NFL career will bring. however, if it were to happen, I think an Iowa player would have to accomplish that first and be used as an example for recruits. Such as the unheralded walk on that gets huge and blossoms at Iowa and ends up being a first round pick.
Good points. I guess I am thinking if NFL shots were the same at either school (offensive line, tight end), then a thought may be that there are only so many car dealerships and sports bars in Tuscaloosa to go around.

I can certainly see Mahindra, or John Deere hitchin' their tractor to Tyler Linderbaum.

Also, the kids with the good looks (X-country, softball, football, track, etc.) are going to make great salesmen/saleswomen.

Just think Local commercial markets, and not National commercial markets. Few will go national.

can certainly see Mahindra, or John Deere hitchin' their tractor to Tyler Linderbaum
I like it. John Deere buyers are by and large ISU grads, or ISU fans with family conections to ISU, or people who live in ag dependent communities with ISU connections, or rural folk who don't like them libruls, etc.. Put a Hawkeye player on the billboard.

Do you think this name, image, and likeness stuff could benefit Iowa when it comes to big time local recruits? To be able to tell a kid like Proctor, “ hey you can go to Alabama and be a little fish in a big pond with a bunch of people who don’t know you from Adam, or you can come to Iowa and have an opportunity to really market yourself as a hometown hero.”

Absolutely not. The big boys in both football and b-ball will be the big winners. Their selling points will be “Our freshman earn on average $750,000 through endorsements.” Education benefits will be of little importance. The main selling point going forward will be dollars.

Reactions: pgsailor and Gutt15
There will be very little uncertainty for the best players. Their offer letter will be followed up quickly with a phone call from Corporation X telling them what they will offer if they go to school X.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Guess who is not wasting anytime paying players....yep no surprise it's Nebraska. Today Runza announces that they will start paying the 1st 100 NE athletes to endorse them on their social media.....uh...should we guess that about all of those 100 will be from Lincoln...and mostly football players?

Things are about to get real slimy....just like the sandwiches at Runza.

I think this could happen, especially once players see what the market for them is. As Dochterman has pointed out, Iowa has no pro team. Iowa football is our biggest fish. The same is true for Nebraska in their state. Schools like Minnesota, Illinois, Rutgers and Northwestern figure to struggle with this as endorsements for college athletes won't mean much there.

Notre Dame, Clemson, Oklahoma State, Ohio State and Alabama should do fine, but there are provisions against paying for work not performed, etc that might limit how much this can be gamed by the biggest fish.

And then for local stars, yeah, they would be marketable before they even make the depth chart at a place like Iowa, whereas the really big dogs have 15-20 guys like that in a given year. They probably won't be marketable there until they actually do something. And they will have to beat out the other 4 and 5 star guys to do that.

The bottom line is, I think the big fish will do well, but I think schools like Iowa and Nebraska do have a case to make now. I think it could at least elevate us over much of the BIG West.

It will create another division of college athletics.
im all for doing away with college scholarships for athletics. Academic only.

Reactions: Pat McGroyne
tenor.gif

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
For those of you that think NIL won't ruin college football and basketball... Well, you're wrong!

How will it ruin it? Why is this the tipping point, and not say, TV contacts blowing up the money?

in 1980 the NCAA basketball tournament generated about 16 million in revenue. In 1989 they signed a 1 billion dollar TV contract. This thing started in 1985 when TV money got involved.

My point isn't to say you were wrong, but there was probably a lot of people in 1985 who were writing opinion pieces about how televising all of these games was going to ruin the sport.

Reactions: dbrocket
The big names will get who they want, just like they have in the past. In reality, the big names are going to just compete against each other. Where the big names will really struggle is depth. That 5-star that sitting the bench and not making a name for himself wont stay for long. And that 4-star that is deciding between Iowa and Bama may have more incentive to go to Iowa to be the big fish in a small pond rather than the average fish in a big pond. Like mentioned above, Iowa will likely go out of their way more for a 4-star than a Bama would.

That said, some of the this stuff is getting a little off putting. Selling 5 minute chats feels cheap and I cant imagine the coaches are thrilled about these kids spending so much time on this stuff.

Guess who is not wasting anytime paying players....yep no surprise it's Nebraska. Today Runza announces that they will start paying the 1st 100 NE athletes to endorse them on their social media.....uh...should we guess that about all of those 100 will be from Lincoln...and mostly football players?

Things are about to get real slimy....just like the sandwiches at Runza.
Runza should focus on getting a good football coach for nebbie first.

It’s not like we are talking about Iowa State. You can come to Iowa and get both. Odds are very high, in fact.

• Haha
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Absolutely not. The big boys in both football and b-ball will be the big winners. Their selling points will be “Our freshman earn on average $750,000 through endorsements.” Education benefits will be of little importance. The main selling point going forward will be dollars.

I would guess that the Alabama's of the world will ensure they don't lose any recruits due to players getting more NIL $ at other locations. They will have the boosters and their affiliated businesses lined up to ensure that 5-star players are guaranteed $50k or $100k or whatever the figure is for making 2 appearances per year at car dealership or a manufacturing plant or you name it. As long as a 1099 can be issued for legitimate work by the player they will make sure the players get paid.

I am sure college sports will change in ways that no one really intended or wanted. But that kind of has to happen. The political pressure has gotten too large where the coaches and administrators around football and men's basketball can all become millionaires, and the players can't at least get a slice? I know, they do receive an education and that is not nothing. And they do receive training, coaching, food, etc. and again that is not nothing. But at least with NIL, they will be able to to monetize whatever their personal brand can bring in.

One thing we could see happen is fewer guys bolt early for the NFL or NBA. If you are making really good money as a good player at a school, but you don't have overwhelming physical tools that put you as a 5th round NFL pick, is it worth it to you to go ahead and get your degree and the $100k you are bringing in per year for NIL, rather than go to the NFL, not be guaranteed of even making the team and have your personal brand immediately not be worth much of anything?

Reactions: FreddyUI
I would guess that the Alabama's of the world will ensure they don't lose any recruits due to players getting more NIL $ at other locations. They will have the boosters and their affiliated businesses lined up to ensure that 5-star players are guaranteed $50k or $100k or whatever the figure is for making 2 appearances per year at car dealership or a manufacturing plant or you name it. As long as a 1099 can be issued for legitimate work by the player they will make sure the players get paid.

I am sure college sports will change in ways that no one really intended or wanted. But that kind of has to happen. The political pressure has gotten too large where the coaches and administrators around football and men's basketball can all become millionaires, and the players can't at least get a slice? I know, they do receive an education and that is not nothing. And they do receive training, coaching, food, etc. and again that is not nothing. But at least with NIL, they will be able to to monetize whatever their personal brand can bring in.

One thing we could see happen is fewer guys bolt early for the NFL or NBA. If you are making really good money as a good player at a school, but you don't have overwhelming physical tools that put you as a 5th round NFL pick, is it worth it to you to go ahead and get your degree and the $100k you are bringing in per year for NIL, rather than go to the NFL, not be guaranteed of even making the team and have your personal brand immediately not be worth much of anything?
But how long will these NIL contracts last at schools? Do you just give them a TV spot for a car dealership on dday one and cut the check and play it by ear from there? Are they forced to stick around if they dont play?

But how long will these NIL contracts last at schools? Do you just give them a TV spot for a car dealership on dday one and cut the check and play it by ear from there? Are they forced to stick around if they dont play?
They will last as long as the player is good and wants to be at the school. You are correct, if they don't play they won't stick around and the money will stop coming their way.

The next thing to fall will be years of eligibility. Why can't a kid play for a school for 7 years if he wants to and the school wants him to?

Population of Alabama is 4.9 million. So not a massive population center and they have Auburn in the same state. Lots of outside klingers though who never grew up favoring a more local team to their own state.

They will last as long as the player is good and wants to be at the school. You are correct, if they don't play they won't stick around and the money will stop coming their way.
Only so many guys on Bamas roster have a chance to make legit money. That talent sitting on the bench isnt going to stay for long. Thats why I think this could favor schools a tier below like an Iowa.

Development of players becomes even more key in this new era. The kids that won't get the top dollar offers but need a year or two of work to get to their best.

Think of it this way. I am a 3 star kid. I probably don't even get offered by a Bama, but if I did I am probably riding the bench and not gonna make a damn thing. Maybe I get developed, maybe I don't. Much better shot at getting developed and maybe by Junior year getting some wider attention and potential money at a place like Iowa.

Will there be any dating site sponsorships / endorsements? Will they need to be 21 to be sponsored by a local bar?

Here are a few points:

* Changes, in anything, are seldom as bad or as good as people predict.
* Each school still only has X number of scholarships per sport. Everybody can't go to Alabama.
* I believe the OP has a valid point. Take JoBo, for instance, in basketball. He would have done quite well with NIL at Iowa. At Wisconsin? At USC? At Illinois? For many kids, staying home would give them their best shot at maximizing NIL.
* Why would anyone think they had a better chance to make the NFL by going to Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, etc., than Iowa? The facts do not support that proposition at all. In reality, if you have NFL talent, with a few exceptions of course, the NFL will find you no matter where you are. Western Michigan has had wide receivers, for example, taken in the first round.
* Grantland Rice, the legendary sportswriter, wrote a cover story for Sport magazine almost 100 years ago that said money would ruin college football.
* Things change, but most things keep on going.

Here are a few points:

* Each school still only has X number of scholarships per sport. Everybody can't go to Alabama.
* I believe the OP has a valid point. Take JoBo, for instance, in basketball. He would have done quite well with NIL at Iowa. At Wisconsin? At USC? At Illinois? For many kids, staying home would give them their best shot at maximizing NIL.
* Why would anyone think they had a better chance to make the NFL by going to Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, etc., than Iowa? The facts do not support that proposition at all. In reality, if you have NFL talent, with a few exceptions of course, the NFL will find you no matter where you are. Western Michigan has had wide receivers, for example, taken in the first round.
* Grantland Rice, the legendary sportswriter, wrote a cover story for Sport magazine almost 100 years ago that said money would ruin college football.
I question 2 now. If walk ons can be paid. It may be obvious if a 4 star athlete walks on at a school, but what stops that? Bama has limited schollies. Wants a 4 star kid, asks him to walk on, donors take care of the "payments".

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
I question 2 now. If walk ons can be paid. It may be obvious if a 4 star athlete walks on at a school, but what stops that? Bama has limited schollies. Wants a 4 star kid, asks him to walk on, donors take care of the "payments".
Yes this can happen, but how many walk-ons will actually play in the first 2-3 years at Bama? They will get some up front money but once they see hes a walk on for a reason the money dries up really quick.

Here are a few points:

Staying home is certainly Iowa's position.

Here's Blair's quote on the X-man staying home:

"There's a long way to go, but I think the Hawkeyes still have a shot. He has a lot of friends and high school teammates at Iowa and the coaching staff made a smart, timely sales pitch this past weekend with the idea of being a home state hero in the NIL era versus just another four-star elsewhere, which he said gave him a lot to think about. He's planning to take his recruiting into the fall and take some more visits, so there should be plenty of time before he ultimately decides." [Emphasis added].

How much of this money thats going to be funneled to athletes is indirectly coming out of the pockets of the universities? Meaning, if someone was going to give 20k/yr to the university but now they are encouraged to sponsor an athlete to get them to come to a school, doesn't the university get left out?

Reactions: Hawkdiver
Yes this can happen, but how many walk-ons will actually play in the first 2-3 years at Bama? They will get some up front money but once they see hes a walk on for a reason the money dries up really quick.

I am saying a 4 star dude. Not really a walk on, but the only way Team X can get him on team due to schollie #s is to say hey, walk on here and my friends over at Billy Bob's auto will give you a $50k sponsorship deal and let you use one of their 1981 K Cars for your own personal use . That way he doesn't count against schollie numbers and he could play.

I am saying a 4 star dude. Not really a walk on, but the only way Team X can get him on team due to schollie #s is to say hey, walk on here and my friends over at Billy Bob's auto will give you a $50k sponsorship deal and let you use one of their 1981 K Cars for your own personal use . That way he doesn't count against schollie numbers and he could play.
Either way if the guy wasnt offered a scholly he probably is the bottom talent of the class and wont last long on average.

Either way if the guy wasnt offered a scholly he probably is the bottom talent of the class and wont last long on average.
I don't know how to make my scenario clearer. The 4 star has talent and would play. Team X wants him but has no "salary cap room aka scholarships", so they arrange it with sponsor to sponsor the dude paying school, etc so he can walk on as if he has a schollie and spending cash. He is talented and would play.

I don't know how to make my scenario clearer. The 4 star has talent and would play. Team X wants him but has no "salary cap room aka scholarships", so they arrange it with sponsor to sponsor the dude paying school, etc so he can walk on as if he has a schollie and spending cash. He is talented and would play.
You were perfectly clear. I just dont think schools have trouble finding room for someone who is that talented. Many of these schools oversign and drop kids. And you have to remember, how many kids does a locker room have room for? You have to look at it as a long term thing, after 4 years you have way too many players. Nice to have so many to choose from but I dont think people will want to go to a system like that.

Here are a few points:

I agree with all this. I think schools like Iowa and Nebraska will gain a new advantage of this relevant to other schools on our tier. It's more complicated in comparison to blue bloods, but not a clear advantage for them. Plus, if we can get more 1st choice players at our tier going against Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, etc, that will narrow the gap a bit with the blue bloods.

But, as you said, ALL of that will amount to a smaller advantage than people are thinking.

I for one would like to sponsor and support these college athletes. For $35 I will pay them to mow my lawn and pick weeds from my landscaping. Feel free to DM for details.

Reactions: weeterkane
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT