ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa and the NIL

Tough to form a union when nobody is around long and the biggest stars will be killing it in NIL.

Agents will broker deals for high level players with programs....taking a cut in the process. It'll become a total cesspool. I'm happy the kids can now make money, but now there will be a whole new group involved that are there simply to leach off of them and the system.
Like I said in other posts, I don't think there will be huge money for most players. So, I don't think this will be true for most players. I do wonder if it will become a thing for the top 10 or so recruits per year, though.

I think you will start to see a "going rate" for different level of players. It will be both to recruit them and also to maintain them. I would guess when a guy starts to get to be Round 1 or 2 potential they will then be sought out by pro agents disguised as NIL reps.

At the end of the day you will see winners and losers (schools) of the system. Some will be expected but some may come out of the blue.

In the end most will only make so much money doing $30 cameo appearances. The best way for these kids to make money will still be to play well and get drafted, or get a good degree that will make them good money until they are 65 years old.

I still wonder how this impacts transfers, when an underrated kid explodes at some school and is obviously way underpaid in that area. Gonna be like a second round of recruiting / bidding.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
I can’t wait to watch Iowa develop players and see them bolt their junior or senior year to make more money at bigger money making programs

this is going to be awful for Iowa and really has the potential to ruin college football, careful what you wish for

We are witnessing the largest wealth transfer in history! Looking increasingly like athletes are going to be the biggest beneficiaries

Reactions: bumpstock
Yeah that article a couple of posts up is what prompted my post. Incredible the amount of money flowing to the athletes already
My bad; sorry hawkfeever.

I wish somebody would open a website with every known "deal" broken down by school/student/$/biz. I'm sure it's coming soon, and will be visited by many (kinda like the portal).

Reactions: unoHawkeye

I wish somebody would open a website with every known "deal" broken down by school/student/$/biz. I'm sure it's coming soon, and will be visited by many (kinda like the portal).
It’ll probably be a lot easier to track now that everything isn’t under the table!

• Wow
Reactions: bumpstock
Michigan deals:

Who's Next?

rbfrqvrzF4NAXQJsC4X22S.jpg

I believe I saw a recent one where the Arkansas OL was sponsored by some BBQ place and was I believe letting them eat there for free.

Hopefully someone is teaching/advising them on the tax implications of this.

Hopefully someone is teaching/advising them on the tax implications of this.
Oh no. So many people. Cash involved. Probably crypto too. Probably lots of free to use goods or services. IRS will be all over this.

Absolutely not. The big boys in both football and b-ball will be the big winners. Their selling points will be “Our freshman earn on average $750,000 through endorsements.” Education benefits will be of little importance. The main selling point going forward will be dollars.

It's going to get ugly, folks.

So, can the local nightclubs now extend a Line of Credit to the players for an endorsement, and must that be reported to the school?

know_how_to_party_waynes_world.gif

Like I said in other posts, I don't think there will be huge money for most players. So, I don't think this will be true for most players. I do wonder if it will become a thing for the top 10 or so recruits per year, though.
I think you are vastly underestimating the amount of money that will be involved, guess we will see!

Be interesting if it gets to the point where the cumulative amount a school's athletes are getting is more than the school's athletic department itself gets.

I'm really interested in seeing how the NIL-era shakes out and what impact it'll have.

If a guy is worth 750k on the open market and they aren't allowed to do it while guys like Barta and Pollard pull in that much I think that's pretty ugly to be honest.

Multiple degrees plus having it be their actual job? Ok.

Be interesting if it gets to the point where the cumulative amount a school's athletes are getting is more than the school's athletic department itself gets.

I'm really interested in seeing how the NIL-era shakes out and what impact it'll have.
Schools will always get the TV money and ticket sales so I don’t see it getting to that point.

it will be common for the best players to make more money than any of their assistant coaches and in a few cases more money than head coach.

Schools will always get the TV money and ticket sales so I don’t see it getting to that point.

it will be common for the best players to make more money than any of their assistant coaches and in a few cases more money than head coach.
Yes, but they also receive a ton on local ad revenue and donations, which will undoubtedly change. There is likely a somewhat closed system when it comes to these two factors. The money that goes to the athletes from donors and local business advertising will probably take away from the amount that usually goes to the schools. Only so much to go around. The schools have to be the ones that are really worried because they are the only ones losing money on this whole deal.

$6k per player. Well that's going to be a game changer. One or two more companies like that and you will never be able to complete for the 20-25 players they want.

May have to have a second division with a money cap that their players earn to be in.

Absolutely not. The big boys in both football and b-ball will be the big winners. Their selling points will be “Our freshman earn on average $750,000 through endorsements.” Education benefits will be of little importance. The main selling point going forward will be dollars.
I shared your views. However, there are people who think kids will want to profit immediately and thus 5 star kids who may have been willing to sit a year or two at Bama may quickly realize that they could make decent coin early if they attended Indiana, Minnesota, Kansas or other schools where they would play immediately. It is a point worth pondering.

Personally, it makes me want to puke watching kids trying to sell their autographs for $20.

At this point, I don't think I'd care if college football collapsed under it's own weight.

It might be shaky to begin with but it will work out. Those saying ‘it’s over’ are being drama queens. Everyone besides the players have been making shit tons of money on the players’ backs. I don’t think these athletes will break the system while making some cash. The important aspect will be the management of time of said athletes.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
I can’t wait to watch Iowa develop players and see them bolt their junior or senior year to make more money at bigger money making programs

this is going to be awful for Iowa and really has the potential to ruin college football, careful what you wish for
The bigger money schools will already have their guy.

ADVERTISEMENT