ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa announces $480,003 surplus from Pinstripe Bowl trip

Apr 8, 2003
IOWA IN THE BLACK AT PINSTRIPE BOWL

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa Athletics Department announced Friday a surplus of $480,003 from its participation in the 2017 New Era Pinstripe Bowl in New York. The Hawkeyes defeated Boston College 27-20 in the December event.

“Our Hawkeye football program, athletics department, and university were able to enjoy our initial participation in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl and were provided an outstanding experience by the Pinstripe Bowl and the New York Yankees,” said Gary Barta, Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair. “To experience New York City during the holidays and enjoy a hard-fought win by coach Ferentz and his players and staff, was exciting and rewarding for the University of Iowa. To complete the trip within the confines of the established budget adds to the satisfaction of the entire experience.”

The UI athletics department was provided a budget of $2,225,000 from the Big Ten Conference to cover expenses for the athletics department team and staff, the Hawkeye Marching Band, and the official institutional party.

Expenses for the team and staff was $1,324,270, with the primary expenses being lodging and meals ($707,639), air transportation ($307,679), and ground transportation ($45,079). The UI Marching Band expenses of $378,660 included $272,373 for air transportation and $63,068 for lodging and meals. The official UI travel party expenses totaled $42,067.

Barta probably skimped on stuff to make up for all the money he lost the university.
Pinstripe Bowl was a huge success. We won, an exciting close game, and our football players played on the most historic field in the country. Too young for our football players and even I am except for Joe Dimaggio, , but Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, YA Tittle, Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, 20 World Series, and the 1958
Colt Giant NFL Championship

Pinstripe Bowl was a huge success. We won, an exciting close game, and our football players played on the most historic field in the country. Too young for our football players and even I am except for Joe Dimaggio, , but Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, YA Tittle, Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, 20 World Series, and the 1958
Wrong stadium.

What money is that and how much did he lose? What did he "skimp" on at the Pinstripe bowl? Thank you.
Might want to read up on the discrimination lawsuits. His inability to document the most basic poor performance cost the university 6+ million in settlement and legal fees.

Although I'm pretty sure you're aware and just decided to play ignorant.

Might want to read up on the discrimination lawsuits. His inability to document the most basic poor performance cost the university 6+ million in settlement and legal fees.

Nah. Probably thought it was money well-spent, like many other folks.

Wrong. Fake news.

Even in baseball I’m not sure I’d consider OLD Yankee Stadium the most historic field. For sure Fenway and wrigley would have been right there. Rose bowl, cotton bowl stadiums, I’d put 10 other stadiums ahead as well.

Even in baseball I’m not sure I’d consider OLD Yankee Stadium the most historic field. For sure Fenway and wrigley would have been right there. Rose bowl, cotton bowl stadiums, I’d put 10 other stadiums ahead as well.
Yes, the historic Yankee field is now the parking lot for the new stadium built a decade ago.

You need to figure out all the facts. He did what the Human Resource Department told him to do. If you are not in the business world then you wouldn't understand. They run the university and every other business out there. When to hire, who to hire, how to hire, what type of person to hire....ect. It fell under his department but when the race or LBGTXYZ card is played everyone loses....she was a cancer and didn't not respect those she worked with or answered to....HR loses again

So is that free & clear to Iowa or do they have to throw it into the Big 10 pot
for everyone to get a piece of?

Just my interpretation from reading this:

Since the Pinstripe Bowl payout is $4.2 million per team, and the B1G "gave Iowa a budget of $2.225 million," it stands to reason that the conference has already taken all the $ for revenue pooling.

I'd like to know how this compares to previous years. I think we've all heard about teams losing money on bowl trips; now Iowa clears half a million on a mid-tier game? Gotta love the B1G bowl affiliations.....and NYC $.

Should have left the band and saved $380k.
What a waste of $$ that could be used to reduce tutition increases.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Serious as i can be on a message board.
Good lord son...you need to educate yourself and you wouldn’t make yourself look foolish. Do some serious research on the financials of how college Sports and the scholastic side are connected.

Good lord son...you need to educate yourself and you wouldn’t make yourself look foolish. Do some serious research on the financials of how college Sports and the scholastic side are connected.
$$ in are $$ in.
$$ out are $$ out.
Basic cash flow accounting.

The pinstripe is a stupid bowl that should be played at the meadowlands not yankee stadium.. Iowa and the big ten should reject that bowl until it is moved

Reactions: Rifler
I don't have a dog in this fight, but did have a son who played in the marching and concert bands in high school, and his daughter is now starting up band as a fifth grader. Regardless of your personal views on whether the band should accompany the team for this level of game, there are numerous things to consider. For one the marching bands, like the cheer squads are part of the game day atmosphere of college football. Trips like this, (yes I realize this isn't the Rose Bowl), but a trip to NYC could certainly be a nice reward for the years hard work by the band members. Don't kid yourself either, those band kids work their butts off in summer drills, during the school year, and sacrifice a lot of personal time to help provide that game day experience. Just my two cents of course.....

I don't have a dog in this fight, but did have a son who played in the marching and concert bands in high school, and his daughter is now starting up band as a fifth grader. Regardless of your personal views on whether the band should accompany the team for this level of game, there are numerous things to consider. For one the marching bands, like the cheer squads are part of the game day atmosphere of college football. Trips like this, (yes I realize this isn't the Rose Bowl), but a trip to NYC could certainly be a nice reward for the years hard work by the band members. Don't kid yourself either, those band kids work their butts off in summer drills, during the school year, and sacrifice a lot of personal time to help provide that game day experience. Just my two cents of course.....

I appreciate the hard work but don't see the value.
Let private funding provide it vs UI.
I can hardly wait for next years Thriller halftime show around Halloween.

Reactions: StinkyMcFadden
$$ in are $$ in.
$$ out are $$ out.
Basic cash flow accounting.
Footvall at Iowa has given the everyday student more than they could ever imagine. But keep your hand out and want someone else to pay your way. Will work out for you in the real world

Footvall at Iowa has given the everyday student more than they could ever imagine. But keep your hand out and want someone else to pay your way. Will work out for you in the real world

??
Please get a translater.

I appreciate the hard work but don't see the value.
Let private funding provide it vs UI.
I can hardly wait for next years Thriller halftime show around Halloween.

The athletic department budget =/= UI budget

Yes great idea! $16 per undergraduate student will help tremendously.

I'll just ignore the fact these are completely different sets of money so your point is completely irrelevant.

Wrigley Field has insignificant baseball history except for Babe Ruth's called shot and Wrigley has only one World Championship in 108 years compared to 30 played in Yankee Stadium who also had the New York Giants, football wise Wrigley does have the Chicago Bears. Fenway Park has limited historical significance even in comparison to Wrigley Field. Am sure Gary Barta was aware how much Iowa players liked playing in Yankee Stadium

You need to figure out all the facts. He did what the Human Resource Department told him to do. If you are not in the business world then you wouldn't understand. They run the university and every other business out there. When to hire, who to hire, how to hire, what type of person to hire....ect. It fell under his department but when the race or LBGTXYZ card is played everyone loses....she was a cancer and didn't not respect those she worked with or answered to....HR loses again
LOL.

No.

IOWA IN THE BLACK AT PINSTRIPE BOWL

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa Athletics Department announced Friday a surplus of $480,003 from its participation in the 2017 New Era Pinstripe Bowl in New York. The Hawkeyes defeated Boston College 27-20 in the December event.

“Our Hawkeye football program, athletics department, and university were able to enjoy our initial participation in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl and were provided an outstanding experience by the Pinstripe Bowl and the New York Yankees,” said Gary Barta, Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair. “To experience New York City during the holidays and enjoy a hard-fought win by coach Ferentz and his players and staff, was exciting and rewarding for the University of Iowa. To complete the trip within the confines of the established budget adds to the satisfaction of the entire experience.”

The UI athletics department was provided a budget of $2,225,000 from the Big Ten Conference to cover expenses for the athletics department team and staff, the Hawkeye Marching Band, and the official institutional party.

Expenses for the team and staff was $1,324,270, with the primary expenses being lodging and meals ($707,639), air transportation ($307,679), and ground transportation ($45,079). The UI Marching Band expenses of $378,660 included $272,373 for air transportation and $63,068 for lodging and meals. The official UI travel party expenses totaled $42,067.
Looks to me the UI travel party expenses seem lower than other recent bowl games. Maybe some of the bigwigs didn't feel the need to take a bite out of the big apple.

I am amazed that the Hawks had a surplus on this bowl. They didn't even sell their ticket allotment, did they? Consider how expensive NY is - lodging, meals, activities. And, the official UofI travel party only spent $42k? Must have been only about 10 people.

She was not a cancer in the university? Laugh all you want, she needed to go and should of been fired from the jump. Barta actually screwed up by moving her.
I don't believe I stated anything to the contrary. I simply (and correctly) stated that Barta handled the situation about as poorly as possible and cost the AD over 6 million in legal fees and settlements. That fact that you're trying to clear him of piss poor performance evaluation/documentation due to some sort of LGTB conspiracy in HR is disingenuous at best. Hilarious, but disingenuous.

I don't believe I stated anything to the contrary. I simply (and correctly) stated that Barta handled the situation about as poorly as possible and cost the AD over 6 million in legal fees and settlements. That fact that you're trying to clear him of piss poor performance evaluation/documentation due to some sort of LGTB conspiracy in HR is disingenuous at best. Hilarious, but disingenuous.
And you are laying this on one person...HR runs every business and definately the hiring, firing and disciplinary actions at the U of I

Wrigley Field has insignificant baseball history except for Babe Ruth's called shot and Wrigley has only one World Championship in 108 years compared to 30 played in Yankee Stadium who also had the New York Giants, football wise Wrigley does have the Chicago Bears. Fenway Park has limited historical significance even in comparison to Wrigley Field. Am sure Gary Barta was aware how much Iowa players liked playing in Yankee Stadium

LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT