ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Announces Endowment Gift for Women's Basketball Head Coaching Position

Apr 8, 2003
Former Hawkeye letterwinner P. Sue Beckwith, MD, makes a transformational gift to endow Iowa’s head women’s basketball coaching position, a first for the Big Ten Conference.

Beckwith has made one of the most significant contributions in the history of UI women’s athletics—a total gift of $7 million, which will endow the Iowa women’s basketball head coaching position and continue to grow the P. Sue Beckwith, MD, Black and Golden Opportunities Fund, which provides annual support to all of Iowa’s women’s sports.

In recognition of Beckwith’s transformational support, current head coach Lisa Bluder and all future head women’s basketball coaches will hold the title of P. Sue Beckwith, MD, Head Women’s Basketball Coach. This leadership gift means Beckwith has now given nearly $9 million to Iowa women’s athletics.

Gary Barta, Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair:

“Sue’s professional accomplishments, personal drive, and philanthropic commitment is truly an inspiring example of a lifelong and loyal Hawkeye. I’m grateful to be able to call her a friend. Her dedication to athletics is inspiring other female philanthropists to give back in their own way here at Iowa.”

P. Sue Beckwith, MD:

“Iowa has a tremendous legacy of coaches, and today, Lisa Bluder and her staff continue to exemplify our rich tradition of women’s basketball. My experiences are one of the reasons I feel so strongly about athletics—the lessons it teaches us. Iowa was such a formative time for me—learning teamwork and time management, overcoming adversity, and gaining self-confidence and self-control. Coach Bluder recruits very high character kids who work tremendously hard. They perform well on the court, get good grades, and do good things off the court. Coach Bluder provides an environment that breeds success.

Athletics is the vehicle—the arena—for us to learn life lessons. A successful program is going to help that cause, but what is really important to me is the environment provided for student-athletes to come in, grow, and become tremendous citizens. It was important for me that a portion of my giving supports all programs. Although basketball is the most visible, student-athletes in all sports have the same passion, work equally hard, make similar sacrifice, display awesome talent, and reap the same benefits through their athletic endeavors.”

Lisa Bluder, Head Women’s Basketball Coach:

“Sue is a passionate and ardent supporter of Iowa women’s basketball and all of our Hawkeye women’s sports teams. Sue, as an alumna of this program, has made a difference within Iowa women’s basketball through her involvement and her philanthropic contributions. For me, this is truly a great day to be a Hawkeye.”

Barbara Burke, Deputy Director of Athletics, Seniors Women’s Administrator:

“We’re so thankful for Sue’s support and friendship. Her leadership on behalf of all of our student-athletes is an inspiration. This gift commitment and her vision creates an immediate and long-term impact on our women’s basketball program.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News