ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Assistant Football Coaches receive raises after cutting Swim program

Also, not a good look if there isn't a football season. I'd like to see these HIGHLY paid coaches step up and take a one year paycut. Especially if there isn't a season.

Also, if these sports were TRULY dropped just because of Covid and financial shortfalls (as Barta claimed), that seems short sighted. My guess is that they were thinking of dropping these before covid

I wonder how much revenue the swim team produces in a year? Just curious if anyone has those numbers?

I think I know where you are going and know the answer but football makes almost all the revenue.

Men's basketball is a distant second but makes a good chunk of change.

Wrestling and women's basketball make enough to sustain themselves and a little extra.

Everyone else is way in the hole.

These were affected for the start of the fiscal year, correct? Therefore they happened way before we cut any sports.

Also, not a good look if there isn't a football season. I'd like to see these HIGHLY paid coaches step up and take a one year paycut. Especially if there isn't a season.

Also, if these sports were TRULY dropped just because of Covid and financial shortfalls (as Barta claimed), that seems short sighted. My guess is that they were thinking of dropping these before covid
God you’re stupid when it comes to money. The athletic department has to borrow 75 mil and they estimate it will take 15 years to payit off. No it’s not short sighted. It’s a well planned financial plan to get out of a mess nobody would have predicted to happen.

Reactions: JStandefer
I think I know where you are going and know the answer but football makes almost all the revenue.

Wrestling and women's basketball make enough to sustain themselves and a little extra.

Wrestling lost 700K last fiscal year. Not sure womens makes money either, pretty sure it lost money. Can't link leistikow's article

This is exactly right, I think these teams were already earmarked for being cut and COVID gave Barta the excuse he needed. As a former member of one of the impacted teams it sucks but I can't say I haven't seen it coming.

I knew, if for no other reason, men's swimming would be cut eventually for Title IX reasons. In reality though men's swimming has sucked since the late 80's early 90's and women's swimming has been bad since before then. Men's gymnastics was good in the late 80's and has been making a resurgence in recent years but is still not near the top of the Big Ten. I am not sure about Tennis and their results but based on geography my guess is they have been bottom of the Big Ten as well.

Wrestling and women's basketball do not make enough to sustain themselves. Women's basketball is the biggest net "loser" of any sport at Iowa due to Bluder's high salary and the assistant coaches' high salaries relative to other non-revenue sports and the high costs of travel and recruiting. Note, I absolutely am not advocating for elimination of women's basketball but from a P&L standpoint it's the largest negative on Iowa's balance sheet.

Men's basketball does make a net positive, but it's not a huge surplus. Football is the be-all, end-all. Everything else but football and men's basketball is a net loser, according to the financial analysis published by Dochterman of the Athletic.

As to the story in the Register, it's context-free and just sniping for sniping. The assistant coaches are taking a substantial cut over what their pay would have been. Because of the bonus they earned after the Holiday Bowl, it's still a net gain after the across the board cut. Chopping their salaries in half won't save the sports that were cut and would serve only to further penalize your sport that carries the whole department.

God you’re stupid when it comes to money. The athletic department has to borrow 75 mil and they estimate it will take 15 years to payit off. No it’s not short sighted. It’s a well planned financial plan to get out of a mess nobody would have predicted to happen.

15 years seems a bit out there. I am guessing that is way conservative and it will get paid off much sooner than that. Maybe they will do a reverse mortgage on Kinnick.

They need to see how many professors got raises doing online teaching from their bunker and/or calling in sick. I bet it is a lot more than 10 coaches!

I am not sure about Iowa, put my wife as faculty at another Big Ten public university, and I can verify that none of the faculty there got raises.

i’m also guessing faculty don’t make nearly as much as you think they do.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
One sports makes A LOT of money, the other is a cost. You throw money at the sport that makes you money. Smart move.

I wonder how much revenue the swim team produces in a year? Just curious if anyone has those numbers?

Big Ten swimming is 109 years old, but Iowa has only been participating for 84 years. Football and Baseball started in 1896, outdoor track in 1901, Gymnastics in 1902, basketball in 1905, cross country in 1908, tennis in 1910, indoor track and swimming in 1911, wrestling in 1912, golf in 1920 and fencing in 1926.

Wrestling lost 700K last fiscal year. Not sure womens makes money either, pretty sure it lost money. Can't link leistikow's article
Wrestling and women's basketball do not make enough to sustain themselves. Women's basketball is the biggest net "loser" of any sport at Iowa due to Bluder's high salary and the assistant coaches' high salaries relative to other non-revenue sports and the high costs of travel and recruiting. Note, I absolutely am not advocating for elimination of women's basketball but from a P&L standpoint it's the largest negative on Iowa's balance sheet.

Men's basketball does make a net positive, but it's not a huge surplus. Football is the be-all, end-all. Everything else but football and men's basketball is a net loser, according to the financial analysis published by Dochterman of the Athletic.

As to the story in the Register, it's context-free and just sniping for sniping. The assistant coaches are taking a substantial cut over what their pay would have been. Because of the bonus they earned after the Holiday Bowl, it's still a net gain after the across the board cut. Chopping their salaries in half won't save the sports that were cut and would serve only to further penalize your sport that carries the whole department.

Thanks, I wasn't positive on the numbers. I was literally going off of something from 2003. I still thought wrestling and women's basketball broke even but I was wrong.

This is exactly right, I think these teams were already earmarked for being cut and COVID gave Barta the excuse he needed. As a former member of one of the impacted teams it sucks but I can't say I haven't seen it coming.

I knew, if for no other reason, men's swimming would be cut eventually for Title IX reasons. In reality though men's swimming has sucked since the late 80's early 90's and women's swimming has been bad since before then. Men's gymnastics was good in the late 80's and has been making a resurgence in recent years but is still not near the top of the Big Ten. I am not sure about Tennis and their results but based on geography my guess is they have been bottom of the Big Ten as well.

Men swimming took 6th place in Big 10 this year, out of 10 teams. Often ranked in top 20-30 in NCAA. That is sucking? They are not great, but far from sucking.

Take one for the TEAM ...I THINK ITS IN POOR TASTE WHILE OTHER COACHES IN THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT ARE FIGHTING FOR THEIR JOBS

They need to see how many professors got raises doing online teaching from their bunker and/or calling in sick. I bet it is a lot more than 10 coaches!
As someone who had to teach online last spring its way more work than teaching in class...faculty across the country completely retooled their class, learned new software, kept learning moving forward often doing this over spring break and under a week, damn well deserves a raise...oh and I watched my kids while doing. So F off with your criticism of faculty.

Why? Many are already underpaid imo

Cut everything but sports that support themselves....that'll clear the debt really quick :)

As someone who had to teach online last spring its way more work than teaching in class...faculty across the country completely retooled their class, learned new software, kept learning moving forward often doing this over spring break and under a week, damn well deserves a raise...oh and I watched my kids while doing. So F off with your criticism of faculty.
wow lighten up francis! and you did not leave the house. Are you a professor at IOWA? If not, move along. Not talking about you. stop playing the victim. I worked at IVH on the front line asshole. So f off yourself.

Yeah, I think those that take pot shots at teachers would really benefit from spending some time in their shoes. When I was younger, I accepted a two year assignment to fill an adjunct professor position to teach a paralegal course at a junior college. The amount of time I spent preparing was substantially more than I had anticipated. I was paid a fixed salary per term but the time to prep together with additional time for grading and dealing with student inquiries/issues, etc. almost made me feel like I should have negotiated an hourly wage instead! I can't imagine the trouble that might be generated by switching to on-line instruction.

Is it the job of these sports to make money? If so what has been done over the years by athletic departments to help these sports take responsibility for their own budget? Anything?

Any business that relies on only one product for revenue is going to fail spectacularly at some point. We are at that point.

Reactions: frydaze
Everything football/college sports has gotten out of control. While I like the sport, I do hope there's a "correction in the market" so to say at some point and this arms race of money invested into football facilities and salaries, etc. slows down considerably and I have a feeling it will. I think what's happened now with no football season will change the future to some degree and there will be some fans that will be hard to attract back as they'll find other things to do and places to spend their money. That will ripple into contributions currently seen, etc.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa

If I recall correctly, the latest On Iowa Podcast made reference to the Iowa Women‘s basketball team being the “costliest” in terms of revenue generated versus costs incurred.

Why don’t you take one for the team and take a pay cut.

OMG you did this over Spring Break?!?! What a hero......

wow lighten up francis! and you did not leave the house. Are you a professor at IOWA? If not, move along. Not talking about you. stop playing the victim. I worked at IVH on the front line asshole. So f off yourself.
Thanks for your work but don’t take down other professions you haven’t had to do and therefore do not know the full demands of.

ADVERTISEMENT