ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Athletics True Nature

Peckerboy

Team MVP
Aug 28, 2016
This is about football ... its about a sport that has become so bloated and out of proportion that it hardly resembles amateur athletics which is what it should be . It is about wasting money on costly facilities and exorbitant coaches salary’s
It is everything but a what its suppose to be which is a game played by student-athletes.m

I’ve read far to many posts about you got to feed money into the program because this is what supports the other programs and if we don’t do it than we will fall behind

Well you know what, if you cannot justify cutting down let’s say just 5%-10% of the costs that the football team spends to enable you to continue to promote 4 or 5 other sports that spend a mere fraction of what the football team does, that is not only troubling but it is unconscionable.

Do not tell me that the Iowa Athletic Department can not find a way to shave
5% from their expenses to secure the continuation of the 5 sports and over 80 athletes and coaches of those sports .

I can spend an entire day showing you that this can be done but let’s face it, the Iowa Athletic Department has shown its true identity and eventually it will come back to bite them in the butt.

They have made their decision. How many of you can actually say truthfully that the game day experience has not been severely curtailed by all the restrictions that they have made the last 10 years. How many of you can say honestly that there hasn’t been wanton waste of department funds that have gone out to settle lawsuits (gender bias) (racial bias-Doyle) that could of sustained these cut programs indefinitely .
How many of you can justify the enormous salary’s offered up to the coaches of this University for a program that has consistently not produced results which had matched performance.

So do not give me that sad story that we are sorry we had to cut 5 sports and the dreams of 80 athletes because we just couldn’t find the resources to save them.

tenor.gif

This is about football ... its about a sport that has become so bloated and out of proportion that it hardly resembles amateur athletics which is what it should be . It is about wasting money on costly facilities and exorbitant coaches salary’s
It is everything but a what its suppose to be which is a game played by student-athletes.m

I’ve read far to many posts about you got to feed money into the program because this is what supports the other programs and if we don’t do it than we will fall behind

Well you know what, if you cannot justify cutting down let’s say just 5%-10% of the costs that the football team spends to enable you to continue to promote 4 or 5 other sports that spend a mere fraction of what the football team does, that is not only troubling but it is unconscionable.

5% from their expenses to secure the continuation of the 5 sports and over 80 athletes and coaches of those sports .

I can spend an entire day showing you that this can be done but let’s face it, the Iowa Athletic Department has shown its true identity and eventually it will come back to bite them in the butt.

They have made their decision. How many of you can actually say truthfully that the game day experience has not been severely curtailed by all the restrictions that they have made the last 10 years. How many of you can say honestly that there hasn’t been wanton waste of department funds that have gone out to settle lawsuits (gender bias) (racial bias-Doyle) that could of sustained these cut programs indefinitely .
How many of you can justify the enormous salary’s offered up to the coaches of this University for a program that has consistently not produced results which had matched performance.

So do not give me that sad story that we are sorry we had to cut 5 sports and the dreams of 80 athletes because we just couldn’t find the resources to save them.

giphy.gif

Ya know what..........

And that's only because it's you that said it. :D

Also:
I can spend an entire day showing you that this can be done

......No you can't, and no you won't.

Reactions: Stranded Hawk

Barta's gender bias deal was because he was terrible at documenting issues. If someone interviews elsewhere over 20 times and never gets an offer, well that should tell you something. So his issue there was documentation. And they paid the price. Again if a person brings in say $100 million and you have to pay out $6 million, how angry might you be if say a replacement might only bring in $70 million? You all just want to look at what we paid out, but you never want to look at what Barta has hauled in. I am sure his documentation for HR issues has improved as a result, yes. By the way the reviews of her were good, and that was his problem. Good reviews but then you fire her?

When will you start the GoFundMe and raise the $40 million to cover losses? Then no probs man.

I agree with basically everything you said.

What I wouldn't give to go back to the raw, noncommercialized game from the 1980s and early 90s. Not a fashion show for the players and not a money grab for everyone and their mother - just a game we all loved.
It’s amazing to me that people still close their eyes and pretend the above was anywhere near reality.

I'm truly sorry your son/daughter isn't getting their hobby subsidized anymore off the backs of the football and Men's basketball programs. At least there is a chance for a club team!

And how pathetic are you that you had to cut and paste this same word vomit from your other stupid thread?

Reactions: pmtdc and iafan44

What I wouldn't give to go back to the raw, noncommercialized game from the 1980s and early 90s. Not a fashion show for the players and not a money grab for everyone and their mother - just a game we all loved.

You're going to have to go back a lot further than that!

Reactions: hawkcub
It appears there's a few idiots on here who think the two eras are similar in terms of elitist money-grabbing and players being self-entitled attention whores.

Congrats on providing a few examples from the 80s though - great work 👊
You're pretty naive if you think the "elitist money-grabbing" or players being attention whores are really that different.

The only difference between the two eras is the explosion of TV money and contracts, which doesn't affect nonrevenue sports anyways.

I agree. Other than I don't know about 1980's football because I'm not that old. It's hard to explain but, I loved 1990's - 2004 football more than what we have today. OP what do you want us to do about it?

I'm truly sorry your son/daughter isn't getting their hobby subsidized anymore off the backs of the football and Men's basketball programs. At least there is a chance for a club team!

And how pathetic are you that you had to cut and paste this same word vomit from your other stupid thread?

It is not fair, they should have chess teams with schollie players too!!

I agree. Other than I don't know about 1980's football because I'm not that old. It's hard to explain but, I loved 1990's - 2004 football more than what we have today. OP what do you want us to do about it?

80s was a bit less exposure. Particularly early 80s. We still had 1pm kickoffs that were radio only. The mighty Ron Gonder and Mike Reilly on WMT. Used to have them tuned in. Good times.

Has to have a kid that lost their sport. This dudes relentless.

I have no dog in the fight, but I am encouraged that I heard today that some parents of members of the swim team are in the process of filing a lawsuit against Iowa. You do not need to have kid on a team to know the difference between right and wrong .

Sadly there is not much we can do except to speak up every chance we get, write letters to the AD to let our voices get tears I’m glad to see that some individuals/parents apparently from the swim team are in the process of filing a lawsuit .

Honestly, if your sport doesn’t make money, you shouldn’t be getting a scholarship.

By the same token then if you cannot afford to pay 100% of your school expenses then you shouldn’t be able to get state grants or federal aid to go to college right...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT