ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Athletics True Nature

This is about football ... its about a sport that has become so bloated and out of proportion that it hardly resembles amateur athletics which is what it should be . It is about wasting money on costly facilities and exorbitant coaches salary’s
It is everything but a what its suppose to be which is a game played by student-athletes.m

I’ve read far to many posts about you got to feed money into the program because this is what supports the other programs and if we don’t do it than we will fall behind

Well you know what, if you cannot justify cutting down let’s say just 5%-10% of the costs that the football team spends to enable you to continue to promote 4 or 5 other sports that spend a mere fraction of what the football team does, that is not only troubling but it is unconscionable.

Do not tell me that the Iowa Athletic Department can not find a way to shave
5% from their expenses to secure the continuation of the 5 sports and over 80 athletes and coaches of those sports .

I can spend an entire day showing you that this can be done but let’s face it, the Iowa Athletic Department has shown its true identity and eventually it will come back to bite them in the butt.

They have made their decision. How many of you can actually say truthfully that the game day experience has not been severely curtailed by all the restrictions that they have made the last 10 years. How many of you can say honestly that there hasn’t been wanton waste of department funds that have gone out to settle lawsuits (gender bias) (racial bias-Doyle) that could of sustained these cut programs indefinitely .
How many of you can justify the enormous salary’s offered up to the coaches of this University for a program that has consistently not produced results which had matched performance.

So do not give me that sad story that we are sorry we had to cut 5 sports and the dreams of 80 athletes because we just couldn’t find the resources to save them.
It's sad yes, but here's the thing, almost NOBODY. ACTUALLY. CARES.

Freeze the Pool, BOOM. Hockey!

This is about football ... its about a sport that has become so bloated and out of proportion that it hardly resembles amateur athletics which is what it should be . It is about wasting money on costly facilities and exorbitant coaches salary’s
It is everything but a what its suppose to be which is a game played by student-athletes.m

I’ve read far to many posts about you got to feed money into the program because this is what supports the other programs and if we don’t do it than we will fall behind

Well you know what, if you cannot justify cutting down let’s say just 5%-10% of the costs that the football team spends to enable you to continue to promote 4 or 5 other sports that spend a mere fraction of what the football team does, that is not only troubling but it is unconscionable.

5% from their expenses to secure the continuation of the 5 sports and over 80 athletes and coaches of those sports .

I can spend an entire day showing you that this can be done but let’s face it, the Iowa Athletic Department has shown its true identity and eventually it will come back to bite them in the butt.

They have made their decision. How many of you can actually say truthfully that the game day experience has not been severely curtailed by all the restrictions that they have made the last 10 years. How many of you can say honestly that there hasn’t been wanton waste of department funds that have gone out to settle lawsuits (gender bias) (racial bias-Doyle) that could of sustained these cut programs indefinitely .
How many of you can justify the enormous salary’s offered up to the coaches of this University for a program that has consistently not produced results which had matched performance.

So do not give me that sad story that we are sorry we had to cut 5 sports and the dreams of 80 athletes because we just couldn’t find the resources to save them.
You are barking up the wrong tree. Iowa has been much better than many other schools in dropping or not dropping sports. Just in state, ISU has no baseball or swimming or gymnastics as far as men's sports. Other schools do not have wrestling and didn't even drop sports, just never had them.

Reactions: iafan44

Yawn

You are barking up the wrong tree. Iowa has been much better than many other schools in dropping or not dropping sports. Just in state, ISU has no baseball or swimming or gymnastics as far as men's sports. Other schools do not have wrestling and didn't even drop sports, just never had them.

Again that’s not the point, the point is that Iowa can afford to have all these sports as more as well. The way to do this is to stop wasting money on bloated coaches salary’s and excessive spending on items that should of been cut back long ago.

Reactions: hawkedoff
Again that’s not the point, the point is that Iowa can afford to have all these sports as more as well. The way to do this is to stop wasting money on bloated coaches salary’s and excessive spending on items that should of been cut back long ago.
You mean the coaches that all took a voluntary paycut this season?

As much as I hate his guts, Jamie Pollard made a good point about how faculty are always up in arms about cuts, but when it comes time to sacrifice to save things, they scamper away with their tails between their legs and let athletics shoulder the load. Maybe it's time some of these tenured professors or the ones that teach fluff classes for useless degrees share some of the burden.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
What, in your opinion, are those useless degrees? You should be more specific.
Useless may have been a hair harsh, but a large amount of liberal arts degrees, such as art, sociology, and gender/racial studies for one. I understand there's a need for these courses to be taught individually, but for many of them the only career paths are right back into the college ranks to continue the cycle.

And before anyone misunderstands me, yes, I do realize "liberal arts" has nothing to do with liberal politics, nor is this a political rant.

The only difference between the two eras is the explosion of TV money and contracts, which doesn't affect nonrevenue sports anyways.
?? I think that's Pecker's point. Take more of that TV money to fund those programs -- instead of 5-star hotel accommodations in the football/basketball locker rooms, have men's/women's swimming.

?? I think that's Pecker's point. Take more of that TV money to fund those programs -- instead of 5-star hotel accommodations in the football/basketball locker rooms, have men's/women's swimming.
LOL if you think our teams are staying in 5-star hotels.

And they DO get that money. Then entire athletic department does. And they're still not fitting in the budget.

I have no problem with making sacrifices to save a few nonrevenue sports. The problem is dumbshits like dickman think it's as simple as ONLY taking money away from the largest, most important teams on campus. That does not save total scholarships/players/opportunities/etc. It only shifts the problem to another team, and if we have to have a funding issue (which, realistically, we do, considering COVID shutdowns), we'd much rather have it for a nonrevenue sport than the team that basically supports the entire athletic department.

Reactions: iafan44
Peckerboy is Aristotle. The Corona bros angle doesn't work when 127 out of 130 FBS schools are playing. Got to have a new shtick.

Reactions: jo12208
Since it is an election year I'm going to agree with all parties.
Football does waste quite a bit of money..way too many employees/ Student coaches/ graduate coaches, etc/ administrative assistants, they throw away or give more equipment away then you even care to know.
But in there defense, most years they do make a lot of money.

I think the University should offer as many sports as possible, I think they should have swimming and tennis and feel they could afford to do so - most years......

I think they could easily cut 5 percent by just reducing the excess fat of all the programs. An example would be eliminate one trip from each program. I love Rick Heller and what's he does but baseball doesn't need to travel to both coast to have a competitive schedule. I understand why he does it and knowing Rick he probably fund raises for most those trips but I bet every sport probably takes a trip or two that they really don't need to.

It bother saying me tremendously when Wisconsin and UNI and Iowa State dropped baseball, if Iowa dropped baseball I would probably be on this site fighting for the sport I love, that all this poster is doing.

My two cents go ahead and rip me that seems to be the mantra of 2020

You mean the coaches that all took a voluntary paycut this season?

As much as I hate his guts, Jamie Pollard made a good point about how faculty are always up in arms about cuts, but when it comes time to sacrifice to save things, they scamper away with their tails between their legs and let athletics shoulder the load. Maybe it's time some of these tenured professors or the ones that teach fluff classes for useless degrees share some of the burden.
As a former teacher, we could easily layoff40% of college profs in Iowa and every university. Actually, the quality of education would improve. Many of these tenured profs are non essential. Fact.

That attracts higher level football recruits which makes the program more popular which begets more money. If swimming were popular it would fund itself. And again, why swimming???? Why not horsey polo instead???

As a former teacher, we could easily layoff40% of college profs in Iowa and every university. Actually, the quality of education would improve. Many of these tenured profs are non essential. Fact.

Yes and many of the degrees offered are a money eating joke. The only way for them to pay off is to be able to go back and teach the same garbage to someone else who wants to toss their money away.

Since it is an election year I'm going to agree with all parties.
Football does waste quite a bit of money..way too many employees/ Student coaches/ graduate coaches, etc/ administrative assistants, they throw away or give more equipment away then you even care to know.
But in there defense, most years they do make a lot of money.

I think the University should offer as many sports as possible, I think they should have swimming and tennis and feel they could afford to do so - most years......

I think they could easily cut 5 percent by just reducing the excess fat of all the programs. An example would be eliminate one trip from each program. I love Rick Heller and what's he does but baseball doesn't need to travel to both coast to have a competitive schedule. I understand why he does it and knowing Rick he probably fund raises for most those trips but I bet every sport probably takes a trip or two that they really don't need to.

It bother saying me tremendously when Wisconsin and UNI and Iowa State dropped baseball, if Iowa dropped baseball I would probably be on this site fighting for the sport I love, that all this poster is doing.

My two cents go ahead and rip me that seems to be the mantra of 2020

Your first paragraph applies to the whole academic setting. That is one of the reasons how the cost of a college education has exploded way beyond what general inflation has done.

Peckerboy is Aristotle. The Corona bros angle doesn't work when 127 out of 130 FBS schools are playing. Got to have a new shtick.

I wonder if they got their flu shots yet as the CDC states everyone should get a flu shot. Fauci says the same.

As a current teacher, I don't disagree.

I see a lot of my colleagues and teachers around the country gloat/complain about how hard they work. It's not that labor-intensive of a job. I love being a teacher, don't get me wrong, but I almost hate associating with fellow teachers because of the savior-complex a few have.

As a current teacher, I don't disagree.

I see a lot of my colleagues and teachers around the country gloat/complain about how hard they work. It's not that labor-intensive of a job. I love being a teacher, don't get me wrong, but I almost hate associating with fellow teachers because of the savior-complex a few have.

Have seen a lot of commentary about how they know better than others. They don't want to be told by parents to get back to work so their kid can attend school. damn peasants.

Dont forget at least half of college admin like provost positions and the like.

This is a very disturbing statement.
Why should the rest of the student body support the cost of other students so they can play games? Many students graduate with tens of thousands of dollars of debt that puts them back years if not a decade financially. All so they can support someone else’s hobby?

Why should the rest of the student body support the cost of other students so they can play games? Many students graduate with tens of thousands of dollars of debt that puts them back years if not a decade financially. All so they can support someone else’s hobby?

In that same vein why should a for profit enterprise like college football get to pretend it is a nonprofit? They need to pay taxes like any other business that makes money. They also need to start paying their employees. Not the coaches but the players. Stop exploiting young talented people to the tune of billions of dollars a year in this country. Shameful really.

In that same vein why should a for profit enterprise like college football get to pretend it is a nonprofit? They need to pay taxes like any other business that makes money. They also need to start paying their employees. Not the coaches but the players. Stop exploiting young talented people to the tune of billions of dollars a year in this country. Shameful really.

I agree that the players should be paid.

Get real ... it’s amateur sports. Student athletes playing a game . They get what they are entitled to.. they signed their name on the dotted line ... a scholarship for participating in their sport .

What do you people not understand, corporations make billions of dollars off of low paid laborers but each worker signed on for what they are getting. If they don’t line the terms than quit , stop being ego centered little brats . They get plenty for what they do. Case closed

I think every big business is guilty of excessive spending. It may be in the form of excessive salaries, unneeded personnel, unnecessary spending, etc. Every P5 football program is guilty of this. Iowa + Iowa State could certainly cut some corners to perhaps fund another "minor" sport. I say minor, but mean non-revenue producing. Its not minor to the coaches, players, and families involved. Anyway, as a teacher I see ALOT of wasted spending that could hire another teacher. District Administrators who pull down 150K? I think our Superintendents secretary (sorry, Administrative Assistant) makes more than 90% of teachers. I'm sure the same is true (if not worse) in the business world. One thing I will NEVER understand is putting up the entire FB team in a hotel room the night before a home game. Seven home games a year. Thats a few bucks! That seems to me to be unnecessary + excessive. I understand why FB programs feel the need to build unbelievable new facilities - they feel a need to compete with the big boys to attract players. But how much is too much? People may feel a need to minimize the non-revenue sports, but those athletes and coaches work just as hard, as just as dedicated, and deserve the right to compete just as much as the Fball + Bball players. It's really too bad, but Football is king, and nothing will change that.

Get real ... it’s amateur sports. Student athletes playing a game . They get what they are entitled to.. they signed their name on the dotted line ... a scholarship for participating in their sport .

What do you people not understand, corporations make billions of dollars off of low paid laborers but each worker signed on for what they are getting. If they don’t line the terms than quit , stop being ego centered little brats . They get plenty for what they do. Case closed

Bullshit.

They are making decisions now on profitability. They should be subject to labor laws

Which labor laws are they in violation of?
Well once you remove the made up term student athlete it becomes apparent there are a number of laws they violate. For starters workers comp for injuries.....the reason the term student athlete was invented. The head of the NCAA at the time admitted in his book the only reason he invented the usage of student athlete was so they could get our of paying words compensation claims if a kid got injured and avoid liability for the injury. Fairly disgusting for an organization that was formed to protect the rights of students don't you think? Do you think the NCAA protects the rights of students now?

Well once you remove the made up term student athlete it becomes apparent there are a number of laws they violate. For starters workers comp for injuries.....the reason the term student athlete was invented. The head of the NCAA at the time admitted in his book the only reason he invented the usage of student athlete was so they could get our of paying words compensation claims if a kid got injured and avoid liability for the injury. Fairly disgusting for an organization that was formed to protect the rights of students don't you think? Do you think the NCAA protects the rights of students now?

So one? It is significant though

Cutting Swimming sucks. Gymnastics was gonna go anyway at some point.

Why the hell would you cut swimming after you built that palace? You already sunk the cost.

It seems they just keep doing things to make me care less and less over time.

I've never understood attacking the football program in an effort to save these sports. The only reason these sports exist is because of football. Iowa athletics is a business and gets little to no state funding or university funding. Sure cut 5 to 10 % of the football budget but expect the same profits? Don't pay coaches or pay for facilities and success will go down. Success goes down and fans stop attending. Then profits drop and you are back at cutting programs. Sure there is waste in any profitable business, but you don't cripple the business to resolve waste. I don't like these programs getting cut but attacking the football program is a ridiculous path to restore these sports. If you want these sports donate to the group working to bring them back.

Huh? What profit do they make?
So you want crap sport athletes to keep mooching off football but you also want to pay football players? Ok....

Super durper derp there

They still get free schooling, food, medical, shelter etc at most schools...what you talking about? If some schools kick them to the curb, then go after them.

ADVERTISEMENT