ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball #4 @ Houston Regional

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa is the #4 in the Houston Regional and will face the #1 Houston who is 40-19. They play Friday at 7pm CST.

Texas A&M is the #3 and Baylor is the #2.

We are paired up with the Chapel Hill Regional which features North Carolina who is the #2 overall seed. Michigan and Florida Gulf Coast are the 2/3 in Chapel Hill and Davidson is the #4.

Iowa is the #4 in the Houston Regional and will face the #1 Houston who is 40-19. They play Friday at 7pm CST.

Texas A&M is the #3 and Baylor is the #2.

We are paired up with the Chapel Hill Regional which features North Carolina who is the #2 overall seed. Michigan and Florida Gulf Coast are the 2/3 in Chapel Hill and Davidson is the #4.
So what you're saying is.........national championship?

Let's take a look at Houston...

Houston
-They are 40-19 on the year, 21-7 at home.
-They have a lot of quality wins on the season.
-Ranked #25 by D1 Baseball, #20 by coaches, #16 by Baseball America
-Hitting .290 as a team with 55 HR. They have a guy with 17 HR and another with 11 HR.
-Team ERA of 3.37. Looks like their rotation has them of 1.88, 2.99, and 3.45.
--------------------------------------
Baylor is 34-21 on the year with a lot of quality wins as well. They are hitting with some pop and have quality pitching as well. Some of their starters have mediocre ERA's but look at who they play every weekend.

Texas A&M is 36-21 on the year and plays in the SEC (enough said right?). They hit .275 as a team 45 HR that are fairly spread out. Their HR leader has 10. They have a 3.44 ERA as a pitching staff.

Iowa is definitely going to have their hands full to say the least in this regional. Obviously no free bases and little to no mistakes will be key for a team like Iowa. It would obviously help our cause if we could get quality starts from Gallagher and Erickson. If we can win on of our first two games, then I guess we'll see what happens. At this point, I think you go with Robison as a third starter IF we get to that point.

Top MLB draft prospects for the regional: (per baseball America)

Seth Romero LHP Houston #18
Alex Scherff RHP Texas A&M #52
Connor Wong C Houston #76
Adam Hall SS Texas A&M #90
Corbin Martin RHP Texas A&M #109

Also noticed that Houston had some common opponents with Iowa:
Illinois W 11-5
USF W 7-3, L 4-7, L 4-5
And they swept 3 games against Alabama State, I think the Hawks played them

Illinois W 11-5
USF W 7-3, L 4-7, L 4-5

Iowa went 1-1 vs Alabama State. We beat them 9-2 and then lost 3-4 in a game where it seemed like nothing went right offensively.

Illinois W 11-5
USF W 7-3, L 4-7, L 4-5

Seth Remero was dismissed from the team May 10th after being suspended earlier in the year. He got into a fight with another player at practice I believe.

I believe Houston has a pretty small field. With the power that this team has it could be interesting. Let's hope the senior pitchers can come up big again!

Big Ten ends up getting five bids, the other matchups:

Corvallis Region
#1 Oregon State (49-4) vs. #4 Holy Cross (23-27)
#2 Nebraska (35-20-1) vs. #3 Yale (32-16)

Chapel Hill Region
#1 North Carolina (47-12) vs. #4 Davidson (32-24)
#2 Florida Gulf Coast (42-18) vs. #3 Michigan (42-15)

Lexington Region
#1 Kentucky (39-20) vs. #4 Ohio (31-26)
#2 Indiana (33-22-2) vs. #3 North Carolina State (34-23)

Winston-Salem Region
#1 Wake Forest (39-18) vs. #4 Maryland-Baltimore County (23-23)
#2 West Virginia (34-24) vs. #3 Maryland (37-21)

Big Ten ends up getting five bids, the other matchups:

Corvallis Region
#1 Oregon State (49-4) vs. #4 Holy Cross (23-27)
#2 Nebraska (35-20-1) vs. #3 Yale (32-16)

Chapel Hill Region
#1 North Carolina (47-12) vs. #4 Davidson (32-24)
#2 Florida Gulf Coast (42-18) vs. #3 Michigan (42-15)

Lexington Region
#1 Kentucky (39-20) vs. #4 Ohio (31-26)
#2 Indiana (33-22-2) vs. #3 North Carolina State (34-23)

Winston-Salem Region
#1 Wake Forest (39-18) vs. #4 Maryland-Baltimore County (23-23)
#2 West Virginia (34-24) vs. #3 Maryland (37-21)
Oregon State was given an easy route. If Nebraska wins and plays OSU it will be a whooping.

Rough draw for Nebraska getting sent to Corvallis with Oregon State.

They've played Oregon State twice, so they are familiar with them. I am more surprised with Yale as a #3 in that region. Their RPI is 48, but they didn't have a ton of W's that stood out to me. Their team ERA is 5+. I think Nebraska rolls vs Yale.

The bigger surprise to me is that Michigan was the last team in. I thought they were safer than that. Also, Saint Johns as an at-large...ehh

Oregon State was given an easy route. If Nebraska wins and plays OSU it will be a whooping.

Never be so sure. Upsets do happen at regionals. All Nebraska needs is a gem from a guy like Meyers or Burkamper against them. Look at Robison for Iowa, kid had struggled all year and has a career outing when it mattered.

Surprised the Big Ten got 5 in.

Miami's run of 44 straight tournament appearances comes to an end.

They've played Oregon State twice, so they are familiar with them. I am more surprised with Yale as a #3 in that region. Their RPI is 48, but they didn't have a ton of W's that stood out to me. Their team ERA is 5+. I think Nebraska rolls vs Yale.

The bigger surprise to me is that Michigan was the last team in. I thought they were safer than that. Also, Saint Johns as an at-large...ehh
Where did you find out Michigan was last team in. Maryland was also a 3. Did they release a listing.

Surprised the Big Ten got 5 in.

Miami's run of 44 straight tournament appearances comes to an end.

Iowa was a "bid stealer" as would NW had been. If any of the other four teams that got in won the B1G tournament we would've been a four bid league. The B1G got no favors in their draws besides Indiana maybe.

Iowa was a "bid stealer" as would NW had been. If any of the other four teams that got in won the B1G tournament we would've been a four bid league. The B1G got no favors in their draws besides Indiana maybe.

I understand that. And there were a lot of bid stealers this year. I figured Maryland would have been left out.... possibly Indiana. Surprised all got in....but that is great for the league

I understand that. And there were a lot of bid stealers this year. I figured Maryland would have been left out.... possibly Indiana. Surprised all got in....but that is great for the league

I hope the league does well, but the league as a whole got tough draws. Indiana is weird for me. Their record and conference record are very pedestrian, but their RPI is right up there. RPI in baseball is like gold.

I hope the league does well, but the league as a whole got tough draws. Indiana is weird for me. Their record and conference record are very pedestrian, but their RPI is right up there. RPI in baseball is like gold.
Based on RPI, isn't the Houston regional about as good as it could've gotten for Iowa?

Houston 18
Baylor 21
TAM 45
Iowa 84

Houston and Baylor are essentially high end 2 seeds, TAM is a low 3. Obviously RPI doesn't tell the whole story and you gave a great overview of the regional above but there is no dominant team like Oregon State, UNC, or Florida.

Based on RPI, isn't the Houston regional about as good as it could've gotten for Iowa?

Houston 18
Baylor 21
TAM 45
Iowa 84

Houston and Baylor are essentially high end 2 seeds, TAM is a low 3. Obviously RPI doesn't tell the whole story and you gave a great overview of the regional above but there is no dominant team like Oregon State, UNC, or Florida.

I would say yes. When you are getting in solely by winning the conference tournament like Iowa did, things could have been much worse. They could have traveled to Chapel Hill for the regional there, or go two time zones west at Oregon State or another Western region.

Iowa will be decided underdogs. But good chance for the program to add another notch. The more regular NCAA regional appearances get and the more the kids in the program are exposed to these types of atmospheres, the greater the chance to win one down the road.

I would say yes. When you are getting in solely by winning the conference tournament like Iowa did, things could have been much worse. They could have traveled to Chapel Hill for the regional there, or go two time zones west at Oregon State or another Western region.

Iowa will be decided underdogs. But good chance for the program to add another notch. The more regular NCAA regional appearances get and the more the kids in the program are exposed to these types of atmospheres, the greater the chance to win one down the road.
I'm really, really hoping they can steal 2 wins down there to get to the 40 mark for the 2nd time in 3 years.

I read on one site that it is a round robing double elimination and then I read where winners play each other and losers play each other in the game 2 slot. Which is it?

Good thing Iowa got in then, anyway. ;)

1 beats 4
2 beats 3

1 beats 2
3 beats 4 (4 eliminated)

2 beats 3 (3 eliminated)

1 beats 2 (2 eliminated)

Double elimination, bracket style. No round robin.

Are we extreme underdogs? What should I be expecting? Really enjoyed the BTT but understand the B1G is a step below the southern conferences.

Are we extreme underdogs? What should I be expecting? Really enjoyed the BTT but understand the B1G is a step below the southern conferences.
Extreme underdogs? Certainly underdogs but I wouldn't say extreme. Iowa is maybe the scariest 4 seed in the tourney. Iowa's RPI is 84. The product of a soft schedule. Iowa won 38 games. You don't accidentally win 38 games. Jake Adams is the B1G POY and National HR Leader. TAM is reeling right now losing 8 of 10. The 1 seed in our region isn't dominant. You could argue that Houston should be a 2 seed. There are reasons for optimism but it is still a tall hill to climb. 1 win wouldn't surprise me. 2 would.

Reactions: Bro D
ADVERTISEMENT