ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball Finishes Regular Season 34-19, 15-9 in B1G

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa wins the series Illinois to have a solid regular season of 34-19 and 15-9 in the B1G. Keep in mind all but the first weekend this was done without CJ Eldred. I can't help but think what this year could have been with him. Iowa could finish as high as tied for 2nd or as low as tied for 4th.

Jake Adams hits two home runs in the final game at Illinois to set the school record. He has 24 home runs and counting.

Elijah Wood pitched seven innings of three run ball tonight, which is VERY impressive for him. I am glad to see the coaching staff stuck with him despite last weekends start vs tOSU.

Iowa will get back after it Wednesday at the B1G tournament in Bloomington, IN.

Could be wrong but I think with Minny and Michigan winning tonight, the Hawks are locked into the 4/5 game. I hope so since that would be the most viewer friendly.

I think most of us thought this would be a rebuilding year and satisfied with a fourth straight B1G Tournament. Instead, Iowa is battling for a conference title in the last weekend.

Ahh I forgot that Minnesota was one game short due to the Rutgers series. So yes, Iowa cannot finish better than them due to winning percentage.

Michigan and MSU still play one on Saturday. So Iowa will either be tied for 3rd with Michigan and Maryland OR tied for 4th with Maryland.

If the B1G tournament is like it has been in the past then the 3/6 game is at 9am and the 4/5 game is at 9pm. No matter what it's looking like a tough game one draw...Michigan, Maryland, or Indiana?

I think most of us thought this would be a rebuilding year and satisfied with a fourth straight B1G Tournament. Instead, Iowa is battling for a conference title in the last weekend.

Heller has done very good things for four straight years and I hate to do this, but is it time to ask when the next step will be? When I say next step, I mean a conference title.

Most were in agreement though, had 2015 been a "normal" B1G season that Iowa's 19-5 record gets it done to win a regular season title instead Illinois had maybe their best team ever.

Heller has done very good things for four straight years and I hate to do this, but is it time to ask when the next step will be? When I say next step, I mean a conference title.

Most were in agreement though, had 2015 been a "normal" B1G season that Iowa's 19-5 record gets it done to win a regular season title instead Illinois had maybe their best team ever.
If everyone returned and Eldred comes back full strength i think they would have a shot.

If we assumed all returned (pretty unlikely Adams comes back but all others should)

SS is a huge question

It would be nice to upgrade at 3b at least defensively.

A quality backup catcher to spell cropley and let him dh occasionally. Cropley might be one of the most underrated catchers in the league

Relief pitching. Wooof at times. Big disappointment at times. Need some new blood to step in.

Boe is going to ne very good IMO. I think he will improve a ton at the plate.

All I know is I didn't follow a bit of Iowa baseball until Heller was hired and now he's gotten a lot of casual Hawk fans following the team. If the pitching staff didn't get hit with injuries and if Iowa had more opportunities for bigger wins in conference, they could have challenged for a bid. His recruiting has been quite strong compared to past years so I'd like to see a couple of his classes mature. Baseball is also just weird with people leaving/getting drafted.

Bottom line, Heller has done a fantastic job turning Iowa baseball into an actual challenge in a rejuvenated B1G. Plenty happy with that.

Reactions: 2bagger22
Boe was a SS out of HS according to the rankings, so I wonder if he could slide over there?

Iowa also has Lorenzo Elion coming from Kirkwood and he is listed as a SS/3B. Not sure what the staff is thinking for him.

I know Zach Daniels can play 2B as well as he did his freshman year. He stuck 100% to pitching this year though.

Is Tanner Wetrich still committed? He's a juco SS, I'd imagine he will have a good shot to start.

Looks like he is still committed from what I can tell. We also have Zion Pettigrew out of the Chicago area committed. Hawkeye Sports lists him as a SS, but perfect game has him as 2B/3B.

Do you know what's going on with Jack Kinzer the catcher? He was supposed to a freshmen this year, wasn't on the roster. I think his twitter said he's at Iowa though.
I think he may be the guy that quit the team pretty early on in the fall, but I'm not sure.

Boe was a SS out of HS according to the rankings, so I wonder if he could slide over there?

Iowa also has Lorenzo Elion coming from Kirkwood and he is listed as a SS/3B. Not sure what the staff is thinking for him.

I know Zach Daniels can play 2B as well as he did his freshman year. He stuck 100% to pitching this year though.

I think you see either Crowl or Wetrich at short next year but it's absolutely the biggest question.

Between Yacinich, Roscetti, and now McCoy, Heller knows what he's doing at the shortstop position. Assuming Eldred comes back at full strength, I'm confident in our ability.

Oh, and I don't think Daniels sees time in the field again. Seems he's strictly a pitcher.

ADVERTISEMENT