ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball Finishes Season 39-22, B1G Tournament Champs, 1-2 NCAA Tournament

Mar 14, 2003
Well where to start, what a year for Iowa Baseball. We had some really bad losses during the year where it looked like they would end any shot of a regional bid. Then the team caught fire and played really well the last two weeks. Iowa won the B1G tournament, got paired in a tough regional and won a game, and had two VERY hard fought games where they came up short. Given the pitching injuries this team had, it's really amazing they were able to accomplish what they did. I always hate to see Iowa Baseball end, especially since Coach Heller has taken over and we've began playing in regional play. Looking ahead to 2018...

-Be interesting to see who gets drafted, current and recruits.
-Any idea on the 2018 schedule? I can't find a conference one anywhere as well.
-I really think Heller is oh so close to having this team win a regular season title.
-As Coach Heller said, Iowa wants to get to the point where we don't need to win the B1G tournament to make regionals.
-I also believe Coach Heller can get this team to Super Regionals.

Go Hawks!

As a baseball fan, it's nice to finally be excited about this team and the direction that Heller has the program headed. Can't say that this season could be considered anything other than a success given the injury adversity faced and the general youth of the roster. Looking forward to next year and hopefully many more.

I'd recommend to anyone to go catch some games at Duane Banks or anywhere else for Iowa Baseball. It's a very entertaining 3-4 hours typically. Tickets aren't too expensive either.

Also, the B1G tournament is in Omaha the next five years so hopefully Iowa stays hot and makes them. Then make the Iowa presence felt.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Went to the BTT and caught a game last year living in Omaha. Definitely planning on attending the next few years as well

Reactions: Franisdaman
Didn't really start paying attention to this team late in the season, but man was it fun when I did start. I'll definitely be following them going forward for the years to come.

For this year though, seemed like pitching depth was our weakness, would you guys agree? And also, do you think we addressed that in our recruiting this year enough?
We only lose McCoy and probably Adams, you never know (2 big ones) from the lineup so mostly everyone is back plus incoming recruits and returning players, I like what we have there

Last edited:
Didn't really start paying attention to this team late in the season, but man was it fun when I did start. I'll definitely be following them going forward for the years to come.

For this year though, seemed like pitching depth was our weakness, would you guys agree? And also, do you think we addressed that in our recruiting this year enough?
We only lose McCoy and probably Adams, you never know (2 big ones) from the lineup so mostly everyone is back plus incoming recruits and returning players, I like what we have there

We lose McCoy, Martsching, Woods, Robison, Erickson, S.Norman due to them being seniors.

Also Adams, Gallagher, Cropley, Hoeg, Eldred, and I believe Whelan are all "draft eligible". That doesn't mean they will all leave, just pointing that out. I personally think only Adams should go, but I could see one or two others.

Our pitching depth was an injury due to injuries before the season and to Eldred after week 1.

If this staff has shown a great trait, it is to fill voids in the matter of one off-season. No matter what happens in the draft, I look for them to do that.

I'd love for the Hawks to play a midweek game against UNO or Creighton at Principal Park. Need to capitalize on the fan excitement and no instate competition.

Development of younger pitchers will be the key for 2018. Erickson and Robison graduate andGallagher is a potential lost to draft. Hopefully Eldred comes back strong but other two weekend starters are undecided. Will McDonald develop?? WIll Daniels become starter or the closer? Lots of questions but the potential seems to be there.

Who replaces McCoy at shortstop?? Maybe one of incoming recruits. I didnt watch enough to know who the back up was

Catcher becomes question mark if Cropley drafted and signs. He played very well at end of year so will see what Pros think of him.

I only saw Grandview game in person as I was back in IOwa. Other games I saw were on TV so I dont have any in-depth knowledge of players skills. Just asking questions and looking forward to next year.

Development of younger pitchers will be the key for 2018. Erickson and Robison graduate andGallagher is a potential lost to draft. Hopefully Eldred comes back strong but other two weekend starters are undecided. Will McDonald develop?? WIll Daniels become starter or the closer? Lots of questions but the potential seems to be there.

Who replaces McCoy at shortstop?? Maybe one of incoming recruits. I didnt watch enough to know who the back up was

Catcher becomes question mark if Cropley drafted and signs. He played very well at end of year so will see what Pros think of him.

I only saw Grandview game in person as I was back in IOwa. Other games I saw were on TV so I dont have any in-depth knowledge of players skills. Just asking questions and looking forward to next year.
Allgeyer will also be back from rehab. The plan was for him eventually to move from midweek to frontline. There are several options for the weekend #3.

With Martsching graduating, Daniels is the likely heir as the stopper. Cropley was already on several scouts radar during the Big Ten Tournament. He is an interesting wait and see case.

Well where to start, what a year for Iowa Baseball. We had some really bad losses during the year where it looked like they would end any shot of a regional bid. Then the team caught fire and played really well the last two weeks. Iowa won the B1G tournament, got paired in a tough regional and won a game, and had two VERY hard fought games where they came up short. Given the pitching injuries this team had, it's really amazing they were able to accomplish what they did. I always hate to see Iowa Baseball end, especially since Coach Heller has taken over and we've began playing in regional play. Looking ahead to 2018...

-Be interesting to see who gets drafted, current and recruits.
-Any idea on the 2018 schedule? I can't find a conference one anywhere as well.
-I really think Heller is oh so close to having this team win a regular season title.
-As Coach Heller said, Iowa wants to get to the point where we don't need to win the B1G tournament to make regionals.
-I also believe Coach Heller can get this team to Super Regionals.

Go Hawks!

great post! losing that A&M game by one run hurt bad; that 3 run A&M HR was the difference in that 3-2 loss. Win that game, and Iowa would have been sitting awaiting the winner of A&M/Houston. Instead, Iowa had to beat Houston (in that long rain delayed game) and then A&M TWICE in order to advance to the Super Regional (Sweet 16). Ironically, Iowa probably would have hosted that Super Regional because the team that Iowa would have been facing is "lower rated" than Iowa.

Iowa was not expected to make any noise in the NCAA's. Analysts, however, were very impressed with Iowa, Coach Heller, the hitters and pitchers. Heller's done an amazing job.

Makes you wonder if Heller is here until he retires. Hope so!

As a baseball fan, it's nice to finally be excited about this team and the direction that Heller has the program headed. Can't say that this season could be considered anything other than a success given the injury adversity faced and the general youth of the roster. Looking forward to next year and hopefully many more.

Do you know if any of these guys get full scholarships or do most get partials or no money at all?

I was shocked that Iowa wrestlers were not on full scholarship; I guess Title 9 prevents this because we have to give out money to the women's programs that nobody cares about

Winning the B1G regular season is the logical next step but I think the goal should be the Super Regionals moving forward.

if they had beaten A&M, Houston or A&M would have had to beat Iowa twice to prevent Iowa from advancing to the Super Regional; and the team that Iowa would have faced was a huge surprise winner of their regional

Heller has Iowa close to making not just the Super Regional (Sweet 16) but the World Series (8 teams make it); he has done a fantastic job; Iowa was lucky to get him!

Do you know if any of these guys get full scholarships or do most get partials or no money at all?

I was shocked that Iowa wrestlers were not on full scholarship; I guess Title 9 prevents this because we have to give out money to the women's programs that nobody cares about

11.7 scholarships and they can divide them by percentages to players.

What about Shimp as a starter? I believe coach Heller said they had him in the reliever role due to his tommy John surgery last year. In my opinion he would be a weekend guy if they make the move.

What about Shimp as a starter? I believe coach Heller said they had him in the reliever role due to his tommy John surgery last year. In my opinion he would be a weekend guy if they make the move.

I like Shimp. I am not sure what type of stamina he currently has though. Also, his strikeouts to walk ration is a bit of a concern. He threw 28 1/3 innings in 18 appearances this year. I know he had a bout with mono during the season that cut into that.

He had a 3.18 ERA and 26K to 23 Walks.

11.7 scholarships to work with. Roster cap is 35 players. Last I was aware, NCAA rules require at least 26 to receive a minimum of 25%. The coaches can then allocate the remainder as they see fit. Any baseball family will tell you they would do backflips to receive 50%.

11.7 scholarships to work with. Roster cap is 35 players. Last I was aware, NCAA rules require at least 26 to receive a minimum of 25%. The coaches can then allocate the remainder as they see fit. Any baseball family will tell you they would do backflips to receive 50%.

Thanks, guys, for the info! These non-revenue sports really have a tight budget and not much wiggle room.

Do big time programs offer more when it comes to schollies or are all D-1 programs limited to 11.7?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT