ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ Kansas State

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa travels to Manhattan, KS also known as the "Little Apple" for a three game series. As has been discussed on this board; CJ Eldred is officially out for the season and Gallagher is out for this weekend as of now.

That really changes things this season...A LOT. Without those two we might have to just outscore people or at least hope we can.

Friday - 6:35pm - Ryan Erickson 5.14 ERA
Saturday - 5:05pm - Cole McDonald 5.71 ERA
Sunday - 1:05pm - Drake Robison 6.63 ERA

KSU looks to be an above average team this year. They've won 8 of the last 10 vs Iowa.

Given our pitching situation, if Iowa can go 1-2 this weekend I'd call it a success.

I will be at all 3 games this weekend with split loyalty. Rooting for the Cats this weekend as my freshman son is a pitcher for the Wildcats. Will give some updates from weekend if can.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Iowa loses to Kansas State 3-0.

-Iowa could not get anything going offensively. They had hit into a lot of double plays tonight. They had two runners on in the 9th and couldn't do anything.
-Ryan Erickson went 5 2/3 and gave up two earned. He was a bit wild but overcome it for the most part.
-The 6th inning with 2 outs is where KSU did all their damage. They had four straight singles with two outs.
-Mason McCoy went 3-4, Mitchell Boe went 2-3 for Iowa.

Tonight was a missed opportunity . Erickson gave Iowa a shot and we couldn't do anything.

Iowa loses 5-4 in 10 innings.

Cole McDonald gave Iowa a good start going five innings and giving up one run.

Iowa was up 4-2 and gave up a run in the 8th, 9th, 10th. We just don't have that guy who can come in and throw like a true shutdown closer.

Iowa tries to avid the sweep on Sunday.

Iowa beats Kansas State 12-11 in 10 innings.

-Jake Adams was 3-4 with 3 home runs and 7 RBI's for Iowa.
-Ben Norman was 4-6 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI's

Pitching was an adventure for Iowa again, as they blew a lead late and allowed it to go into extras. Kyle Shimp threw 1 2/3 scoreless and gets credited with the W. Shane Ritter got the last out of the game and gets credited with a save.

1-2 weekend is better than 0-3. Of course, this was easily a series we could have taken 2-1.

Iowa hosts Bradley on Wednesday then Purdue next weekend for the opening B1G series.

Iowa got dominated by Kansas State this weekend. More embarrassing losses to add to the 2017 season.

No playoffs for Iowa again this year (not an if statement). Heller on the hot seat. What say you, Eeyore?

Iowa beats Kansas State 12-11 in 10 innings.

-Jake Adams was 3-4 with 3 home runs and 7 RBI's for Iowa.
-Ben Norman was 4-6 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI's

Pitching was an adventure for Iowa again, as they blew a lead late and allowed it to go into extras. Kyle Shimp threw 1 2/3 scoreless and gets credited with the W. Shane Ritter got the last out of the game and gets credited with a save.

1-2 weekend is better than 0-3. Of course, this was easily a series we could have taken 2-1.

Iowa hosts Bradley on Wednesday then Purdue next weekend for the opening B1G series.

Went to the game on Saturday. Impressed overall with Iowa. Given that Iowa played without its top 2 starting pitchers, not surprising to see Iowa struggle to close out games late due to the cascade effect on the rest of the staff. Erickson did a nice job starting the game Friday, but that meant he wasn't available on Saturday to go after K-State's left-handed hitters. McDonald starting the Saturday game means he's not available to pitch relief. And so on. Hawks hit into some bad luck on Saturday, some very, very loud outs with runners on base.

Good job on salvaging the 1 game. Without Gallagher and Eldred, this team has such little margin for error.

(I posted this in the Lounge but figure it's worth posting here.)

A few stats and thoughts:
  • Jake Adams leads the B1G in home runs (8), RBI (27), and slugging percentage (.685). His 8 home runs is tied for second nationally and he trails five players who have hit 9 home runs this season.
  • Robert Neustrom leads the B1G in batting average (.408) and hits (31).
Digging back in the annals of Iowa Baseball history, Iowa's home run production is on pace to break some recent records (especially since the change in bats, circa 2010). Adams 8 home runs are the most since Taylor Zeutenhorst (9 HR in '14) and Wes Freie (9 HR in '09). Here are some notable team home run totals over the last decade:
  • 2015: 14
  • 2014: 23
  • 2013: 2
  • 2010: 28
  • 2009: 40
  • 2008: 21
  • 2007: 30
This season's numbers seem to show the new offensive approach is working. During Heller's 4 years, pitching and defense have been the common theme with the offense coming around as the season progresses. I'm more than optimistic Coach Brickman can turn the pitching staff around as we enter B1G play and the Hawks can make some noise as the weather warms up.

Iowa has a favorable B1G schedule on paper. Of course, the injuries can play a role in that now. Going into the season, I felt pretty good about our B1G schedule. Now I'm a little more uncertain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT