ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball now projected OUT after series loss at NW

BigOHawk

HR Heisman
Oct 27, 2001
Omaha, NE
Not surprised and looks like we have work to do. Appears we are fighting Michigan, Illinois and Purdue for the last Big 10 slot into the Regional. My untrained baseball analysis says 4-0 to close out the year is a must and at least 2 wins in the Big Ten Tourney to get back on the right side of the bubble.
Oh and feel free to root against Illinois, LSU and Wash State, I know you will! :)
https://d1baseball.com/projections/projected-field-of-64-may-15/

I suspect it would probably take more than two at the tournament, thanks to last weekend. My guess is our only decent shot at an at-large is to make it to the tournament championship. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I suspect it would probably take more than two at the tournament, thanks to last weekend. My guess is our only decent shot at an at-large is to make it to the tournament championship. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

You could likely be correct Row. Really too bad. Iowa was literally one strike way from winning Game 1 on Friday. If that is a win, whole weekend might have gone differently. It would likely take a sweep of Penn State and serious run in the BTT, depending on the teams Iowa knocked off to get there. Iowa's record against the Top 100 (10-9) is equal to or better than any of the other bubble-type teams, just the overall RPI number is too low.

You could likely be correct Row. Really too bad. Iowa was literally one strike way from winning Game 1 on Friday. If that is a win, whole weekend might have gone differently. It would likely take a sweep of Penn State and serious run in the BTT, depending on the teams Iowa knocked off to get there. Iowa's record against the Top 100 (10-9) is equal to or better than any of the other bubble-type teams, just the overall RPI number is too low.
The fickle RPI, why oh why is that number so darn important, I guess they have to have some objective number to base this off of, but yes 10 wins vs. Top 50 RPI is pretty impressive, Mizzou loss didn't help either.

An awful non-conference schedule leaves little room for error. Can beat a Top 20 team but the RPI's not going up if most your non-conference opponents are losing. Can point to the opening weekend and the Evansville weekend if we just miss the tournament (even though we went 6-0 those weekends).

Might be a goof but the game is on ESPN3 for persons having a device with the ESPN app. Was listed as being on ESPNU.

What do we think boys? 3 wins in the BTT to get in?
Probably depends on who the matchups are. Like 4life said, Iowa has some good matchups. Even losing to Michigan still gives Iowa a chance at a top 50 RPI win in the losers bracket. Winning the first two would help a lot as well.

The fickle RPI, why oh why is that number so darn important, I guess they have to have some objective number to base this off of, but yes 10 wins vs. Top 50 RPI is pretty impressive, Mizzou loss didn't help either.
I still say it’s a damn horrible system to use. Iowa swept a P5 team at home and dropped four spots.

Probably depends on who the matchups are. Like 4life said, Iowa has some good matchups. Even losing to Michigan still gives Iowa a chance at a top 50 RPI win in the losers bracket.
Being on the other side of the bracket would have been better, as far as the RPI goes. Beating Michigan (RPI 55), Purdue (40) and Ohio St. (41) is not going to get us the boost we need. And a loss to any of those teams probably means we need to win the tournament. Two/Three wins over the likes of Minnesota (16) and Indiana (23) would have given us the boost, and a loss to either of those teams wouldn't hurt as much RPI-wise.

Best case scenario would be for Iowa to beat Michigan, tOSU, Indiana, then Minny in the 'ship.

The Iowa-Michigan game is likely a loser out of the NCAA discussion. Michigan's resume is just plain not good. RPI of 55, but 2-9 against the Top 50. 25-3 against Group 4 teams. The Wolverines should be more desperate about making as an at-large than Iowa.

Iowa is 8-8 against the Top 50, which is good. And 4-5 against 51-100, which isn't bad. The 2 losses to Northwestern were crippling, as was losing a 7-run lead in the 8th inning to Missouri. A win over a SEC school at 38 in the RPI would have looked quite good.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
The Iowa-Michigan game is likely a loser out of the NCAA discussion. Michigan's resume is just plain not good. RPI of 55, but 2-9 against the Top 50. 25-3 against Group 4 teams. The Wolverines should be more desperate about making as an at-large than Iowa.

Iowa is 8-8 against the Top 50, which is good. And 4-5 against 51-100, which isn't bad. The 2 losses to Northwestern were crippling, as was losing a 7-run lead in the 8th inning to Missouri. A win over a SEC school at 38 in the RPI would have looked quite good.
I posted something similar in another thread. I'm not really sure how Michigan is even in the conversation at this point. Their SOS is also worse than Iowa's.

Iowa needs to shore up their OOC SOS in its future schedules. Their OOC SOS was 216 this season and that is with Oklahoma State. I can't imagine what it would be without that series and adding a midweek game with Mizzu.

I posted something similar in another thread. I'm not really sure how Michigan is even in the conversation at this point. Their SOS is also worse than Iowa's.

Iowa needs to shore up their OOC SOS in its future schedules. Their OOC SOS was 216 this season and that is with Oklahoma State. I can't imagine what it would be without that series and adding a midweek game with Mizzu.

It's a tricky balance. Iowa generally need some time to develop. They go south and play the first few weekends. Lots of times, they end up playing a Ball State or a Virginia Tech or another semi northern team down in Florida. I suppose they could load up and just try to play powerhouse teams, but could get buried. Iowa did play 3 against UAB, who ended up not being very good. And 3 against Evansville, who ended up being bad.

The options for filling in mid-week games against good teams is tough. You want to schedule teams close by, and you can see Iowa trying to be creative there. Adding Missouri State in KC, adding Missouri in IC, playing non-D1 teams that don't impact the RPI, playing St. Louis, playing Bradley. But Northern Illinois, Milwaukee and Western Illinois were all 200+ RPI teams. Penn State and Northwestern being crappy (and losing 2 to Northwestern) put a boat anchor on Iowa's RPI.

Next year Iowa will play at Okie State for 3, and I believe will return to Missouri to a mid-week game. Tough road games. Iowa usually tries to wedge in Missouri State somewhere in the non-con. If they can find the sweet spot of the 75-150 type teams that don't boat anchor the RPI, that would be ideal.

Leistikow said in his column today that if Iowa wins 3 straight to get to the finals, they are likely in. I would agree with that. It would be wins over Michigan, either Purdue or OSU, and then likely Minnesota or Indiana. That would give Iowa quite a boost and make its record very good against Top 100 teams. Winning Game 1 is the key (duh). But I think if they can get 1 under their belt right away things start to open up.

It's a tricky balance. Iowa generally need some time to develop. They go south and play the first few weekends. Lots of times, they end up playing a Ball State or a Virginia Tech or another semi northern team down in Florida. I suppose they could load up and just try to play powerhouse teams, but could get buried. Iowa did play 3 against UAB, who ended up not being very good. And 3 against Evansville, who ended up being bad.

The options for filling in mid-week games against good teams is tough. You want to schedule teams close by, and you can see Iowa trying to be creative there. Adding Missouri State in KC, adding Missouri in IC, playing non-D1 teams that don't impact the RPI, playing St. Louis, playing Bradley. But Northern Illinois, Milwaukee and Western Illinois were all 200+ RPI teams. Penn State and Northwestern being crappy (and losing 2 to Northwestern) put a boat anchor on Iowa's RPI.

Next year Iowa will play at Okie State for 3, and I believe will return to Missouri to a mid-week game. Tough road games. Iowa usually tries to wedge in Missouri State somewhere in the non-con. If they can find the sweet spot of the 75-150 type teams that don't boat anchor the RPI, that would be ideal.

Leistikow said in his column today that if Iowa wins 3 straight to get to the finals, they are likely in. I would agree with that. It would be wins over Michigan, either Purdue or OSU, and then likely Minnesota or Indiana. That would give Iowa quite a boost and make its record very good against Top 100 teams. Winning Game 1 is the key (duh). But I think if they can get 1 under their belt right away things start to open up.

Iowa is hampered by restrictions on class time missed. You’re not going to see games against WIU, Milwaukee, or Bradley go away. Further, regular midweek series opponents KSU and KU stink at the moment. Iowa’s simply in a tough geographic location.

F it, OOS for next year.....

Week 1: @Florida
Week 2: @Texas Tech
Week 3: @ Arizona State
Week 4: @ Ole Miss
Week 5: vs Creighton

Nice. Seriously, Creighton would be an option in Des Moines for midweek games a couple of times. Although could be cost involved for playing at Principal Park.

Iowa is hampered by restrictions on class time missed. You’re not going to see games against WIU, Milwaukee, or Bradley go away. Further, regular midweek series opponents KSU and KU stink at the moment. Iowa’s simply in a tough geographic location.
What is the restriction? What keeps them from playing more regional rather than the closest possible teams?

What is the restriction? What keeps them from playing more regional rather than the closest possible teams?

Missed class time...players are only allowed to miss so much. Non-poster explained it a few weeks ago. The four hour drive to Omaha, Columbia, St. Louis, etc. are prohibitive when it comes to building a full schedule. You’re still forced to play WIU and Milwaukee because they’re more willing to travel midweek to Iowa City.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT