ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball Predicted 3rd In B1G/Neustrom Predicted POY

Mar 14, 2003
It's time for Iowa Baseball to take the next step. It's time to bring home a B1G regular season title and make a run at super regionals. Indiana and Nebraska are projected to finish ahead of Iowa in the B1G.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
If Iowa does finish 3rd, then they are an NCAA at-large unless they'd tank the non-conference.

3rd in league doesn't guarantee at-large berth. Iowa was tied for 4th last year. 1/2 game out of 3rd, 1 game out of 2nd and just 1 1/2 out of first, and Iowa wouldn't have made it in last year without the BT Tourney win. Iowa had a rough go of it out of conference last year. Last year losing Eldred and other pitching? hurt if I remember correctly.

Hopefully Hawks can get some breaks in terms of health this year and bring home the regular season title.

3rd in league doesn't guarantee at-large berth. Iowa was tied for 4th last year. 1/2 game out of 3rd, 1 game out of 2nd and just 1 1/2 out of first, and Iowa wouldn't have made it in last year without the BT Tourney win. Iowa had a rough go of it out of conference last year. Last year losing Eldred and other pitching? hurt if I remember correctly.

Hopefully Hawks can get some breaks in terms of health this year and bring home the regular season title.

Yes they were, but the non-conference was very bad.

KCJJ had Coach Heller on this morning. I didn't hear the entire interview but I caught a few pitching tidbits:
  • Cole McDonald and Nick Allgeyer are expected to be in the weekend rotation.
  • Brady Schanuel is dealing shoulder pain. Nothing structural but they're taking it slow and expect him to pitch out of the bullpen the first two weekends.

KCJJ had Coach Heller on this morning. I didn't hear the entire interview but I caught a few pitching tidbits:
  • Brady Schanuel is dealing shoulder pain. Nothing structural but they're taking it slow and expect him to pitch out of the bullpen the first two weekends.

I don't like hearing that about Schanuel. Expected him to be Friday starter.

Definitely disappointing to hear about Schanuel. Heller mentioned that this would probably give a freshman an opportunity to get a shot at the weekend spot.

If he is not 100% or the injury is serious then that changes a lot of things with how I think this team will do. I'd probably push us back to 5th-8th.

Allgeyer Article
Here’s an article on Nick Allgeyer and his return from Tommy John surgery. Getting a good, consistent Allgeyer on the weekend will go a long way to the Hawks having a chance at the regular season title.

On KGYM last week, Heller mentioned that for B1G weekend series, that if they don't use Zach Daniels on Friday or Saturday, that we could see him start on Sunday. They want to make sure that they get him on the mound.

Tough conference schedule,,,, If we can start out well we have a chance, but,we are young in some critical spots,....We still are having problems keeping some top talent home and Rick and Marty understand this. This year the VanSoyc kid out of CRJ is going to ASU,got a couple of young kids that have already verbaled to SEC teams... If we could keep these guys home, we could really make the jump.....Tough to fight the weather issues.

ADVERTISEMENT