ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ South Florida

Mar 14, 2003
Well it's that time of year again, one of my favorites times. It's Iowa Baseball season. There are quite a few unknowns with this years team. It looks like Iowa is going with this rotation to start the year.

Friday - Nick Gallagher - 5:30pm
Saturday - CJ Eldred - 5:30pm
Sunday - Shane Ritter - 11am

South Florida was 24-33 last season.

I'll be interested to see how Gallagher embraces the Friday starter spot. Last year he was A LOT of better in his long relief role than starting.

South Florida struggled last year but made a regional in 2015. They have some serious talent in LHP Shane McLanahan and outfielders Garrett Zech and Chris Chatfield.

I like this matchup week one because both teams have young talent but will start unproven guys.

Road games like this are absolutely vital to a team like Iowa's RPI and what they had to do for a shot at regionals once conference play starts.

Iowa loses 9-4 to USF and this one really sucks.

Iowa gives up NINE runs in the 8th inning after Nick Gallagher cruised for the most part thru seven innings. He had a few jams early that he got out of.

It really felt like Iowa was in control and then that happened in the 8th. Really no excuse for it and it shows that we don't have a guy that can come in and slam the door shut. We've only had a handful of those in recent memory (Hibbing, Schurz, and Gudex).

Game tomorrow is moved up to 11am our time.

After a long delay, Iowa wins 4-2.

Kyle Crowl hit a two run homerun in the 9th to give Iowa a 4-2 lead.

It's really good to get the first W of the year, but yesterday still stings. The series finale is at 11am on Sunday.

CJ Eldred throws six innings and allows three hits, one earned run, and gets four K's.

Cole McDonald threw three innings and allowed two hits, one earned run, and gets four K's.

Most importantly ZERO walks and one free base via a hit pitch. McDonald did get two on with zero outs in the 9th, but he got out of it.

McDonald gets credited with the W in game two.

So far I like what we have with Gallagher and Eldred. Hopefully, we find some shut down arms in the pen and we get a good start on Sunday.

Starting pitching has been a plus.

Offense has been a bit challenged, but I don't know much about the quality of the USF arms. Good to see some power today.

Relief pitching is off to a pretty bad start.

Iowa loses 6-0 and loses the series. Iowa didn't not get a good start and Ritter was pulled in the 2nd inning. That is what I was kind of worried about from Sunday. Iowa also could not get a hit when they needed to.

At the end of the day, we are going to look back and say this is a series Iowa probably should have one. We really need to hope the relief pitching gets things sorted out.

Iowa plays Loras College at home on Wednesday.

Iowa should be in a lot of the games on Friday and Saturday just need to get another starter to be solid. It will depend how good iowa could be is if the offense can get some runs.

Obviously I am just a fan, but is Erickson an option for Sunday? I could obviousy be wrong, but I see Ritter as a guy that can give Iowa 2-3 innings max per appearance.

I always thought McDonald could be an option to start on Sunday, but we may need him in the bullpen on the weekends.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT