ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball Summer Games

Anyone know why Connor McCaffery isn't playing? It looks like some other freshmen are and I heard from a friend that he's in the stands.

Anyone know why Connor McCaffery isn't playing? It looks like some other freshmen are and I heard from a friend that he's in the stands.
I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that IC West plays at state tomorrow

Pretty solid for a lot of these guys first time playing together in a real game. One error allowed two runs and Wood was shaky a bit. Other than that can't complain.

Hoeg at first, Crowl at third. Norman in left, Jenkins in center. Judkins DH. Whelan not starting, Schanuel on the hill.
I was hoping we would have a different defensive solution for 3rd base than last season. If crowl is the guy, hopefully his offense is solid. I saw Heller said his confidence is back.

Maybe it's discussed further down but is Whelan hurt or not starting?

What was the caliber of the competition ? Are these Division 1 type players ?
Don't know what the roster was for the all-star game but the league is made up of college kids playing summer ball, some former college kids, some guys with previous professional experience and some high school kids. Not a high level summer league.

Not sure what's up with Whelan. Sounds like Crowl had a nice summer at the plate.

I don't know who was on the other team, but they were coached by Jim Van Scoyoc who coached at Norwalk for years.

Think auto correct got you as he coached Norway not Norwalk

Reactions: funnyfletcher
The Iowa Valley League has a Facebook page, has some recaps of their games, but haven't seen anything from the Iowa game yet. Looks like Whelan, Norman, McDonald, Boe, Hoeg, Elion, Shimp and Farley are all in the league. Saw a couple names I recognized as well, Jonny Frese and Jimmy Lizarraga, assuming they're related to Nate Frese and Sam Lizarraga.

Iowa facing Red Top Sports tonight. From what I can tell they are/were the winner of the IVL.

Iowa rolling early with a 4-0 lead in the 3rd.

I was hoping we would have a different defensive solution for 3rd base than last season. If crowl is the guy, hopefully his offense is solid. I saw Heller said his confidence is back.

Maybe it's discussed further down but is Whelan hurt or not starting?

What? Hoeg hit .277 last year and committed only 5 errors. Unless you move Hoeg to second to replace Boe I see no reason to switch things up.

What? Hoeg hit .277 last year and committed only 5 errors. Unless you move Hoeg to second to replace Boe I see no reason to switch things up.
His D was what I was referring to. He was a fairly big liability at times from a mobility standpoint. There were a lot of balls that he just simply couldn't get to that a better athlete would. Go back and watch the post season games. there were a number of balls.

When he was playing first the other night, I thought that was a good move so his bat could stay in the lineup.

Just because he made the routine play doesn't mean there might not be a better defensive solution. That was my only point. And, I suspect, that maybe the coaches see the same thing since they put him at first. Moving him to second would be a terrible idea.

Iowa taking it on the chin tonight. Down 6-1 in the 3rd. Kyle Shimp and Cole McDonald struggling tonight. McDonald still hasn't seemed to get things figured out.

Iowa ended up losing to Wellington,KS 7-3 last night. They are a summer league team made of players from all levels Juco to D1.

Iowa plays again on August 1st in another tune up game.

Whelan is injured, hurt thumb a few weeks ago. Iowa twitter says nothing serious.

Otherwise, Iowa's performance in Kansas has been very lackluster. I realize they are playing other college level guys, but I mean come on. The offense really seems to be lacking outside of Neustrom.

Some is likely the wood bats but most of them have already played all summer so its not that huge.

I am a bit concerned about the bats for the coming year. Obviously we were really spoiled this season and lost 2 of the best bats in the B1G and nation.

Some is likely the wood bats but most of them have already played all summer so its not that huge.

I am a bit concerned about the bats for the coming year. Obviously we were really spoiled this season and lost 2 of the best bats in the B1G and nation.

Obviously Whelan helps the offense a ton, but Guzzo also has some pop and would help as well.

If you watched the game on YouTube last night I thought the Umpire was absolutely horrible buying the plate. He was calling lots of strikes that were on the batter's box chalk.

Iowa had several guys rung up on terrible pitches and other situations where strike 2 was way off the plate and then they had to go after a pitch they couldn't handle and we're easily put out.

Iowa will play again on Thursday then be done in Wichita due to the pool play format. I believe they have a game in Iowa City on August 10th before heading to China.

If you watched the game on YouTube last night I thought the Umpire was absolutely horrible buying the plate. He was calling lots of strikes that were on the batter's box chalk.

Iowa had several guys rung up on terrible pitches and other situations where strike 2 was way off the plate and then they had to go after a pitch they couldn't handle and we're easily put out.

Was it both ways? I guess if it's both ways it still sucks but wouldn't make me as mad. Now when one team is getting a zone and one is not, that is when I get fired up. You saw that a lot in B1G play.

Was it both ways? I guess if it's both ways it still sucks but wouldn't make me as mad. Now when one team is getting a zone and one is not, that is when I get fired up. You saw that a lot in B1G play.
These things usually even out but I definitely thought Iowa seemed to get the worst end of it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT