ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ UNLV

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa travels to Las Vegas this weekend for a big non-conference series against 12-2 UNLV. This is far from last years UNLV team that came to Iowa City. They have very nice wins over Oregon, Indiana State, and just swept Fresno State. Their only losses are during weekday games. They have yet to lose on Fri-Sat-Sun.

UNLV is a borderline top 25 team in some polls. They currently sport an RPI of 26. So Iowa can really start to build up a resume heading into B1G play. I do caution that Iowa has a few RPI killing games in the way as well before B1G play.

Friday is at 8pm CT
Saturday is at 4pm CT
Sunday is at 3pm CT

This is trip I wish I could have made if I were to ever travel a decent distance for Iowa baseball. I've always had a good time in Vegas and Iowa Baseball would make it a funner trip as well.

From Coach Heller's latest email update:

For fans that can't make the trip to Vegas, the entire series will be available on Hawkeye All-Access and on select radio stations with Zach Mackey on the call. The game will also be streamed via a UNLV feed at: http://bit.ly/2FmO0pG (FREE).​

Reactions: Couppee

For fans that can't make the trip to Vegas, the entire series will be available on Hawkeye All-Access and on select radio stations with Zach Mackey on the call. The game will also be streamed via a UNLV feed at: http://bit.ly/2FmO0pG (FREE).​
are you sure the stream is free? it looks like it but then there is a link for pricing options, so not 100 percent sure

thanks

It does look like it is streaming via the UNLV Web site for free. Hopefully it is because I don't have any other options! LOL

The 3 games/links:

MAR 9 (FRI)
8:05 PM CT START TIME
IOWA AT UNLV
LAS VEGAS, NEV.
Streamiing online here: www.livestream.com/mwn/events/3997598

MAR 10 (SAT)
4:05 P.M. (CT) START TIME
IOWA AT UNLV
LAS VEGAS, NEV.
Streaming online here: www.livestream.com/mwn/events/3997598

MAR 11 (SUN)
3:05 P.M. (CT) Start time
IOWA AT UNLV
LAS VEGAS, NEV.
Streaming online here: www.livestream.com/mwn/events/3997598

T2 runners on 1st & 2nd 0 outs, fail to bunt over, instead K then hit into dp. Missed opportunity

Video feed went out so I didn't see it, but is that the second time in two games Neustrom has been picked off?

Offensively this team is starting to worry me a bit. We got a quality start out of Allgeyer which is all you can ask for. We are hitting nothing but singles it seems this year. Extra base hits have been hard to come by. I'd try something new next game to try to get something going. I'd go with...

1. Neustrom - RF
2. Elion - 3B
3. Guzzo/Judkins - DH
4. Cropley - C
5. Hoeg - 1B
6. Wetrich/Norman - LF
7. Crowl/Wetrich - SS
8. Jenkins - CF
9. Boe - 2B

Iowa falls to UNLV 4-0. That is the second straight game Iowa has been shutout. I can't recall when that last happened.

The Good
1. Nick Allgeyer with a quality start after a bumpy 1st/2nd inning.
2. Austin Guzzo 2-3 and working a walk top 9th.
3. Cam Baumann working out of a bases loaded-no out jam.

The Bad
Offense is not good right now. Iowa hit into too many double plays and did not take advantage of the chances they had and they did have them. I made a suggested lineup change above, which I doubt would happen but we need to find a way to generate runs. Going to be tough sledding with a bunch of singles all the time.

Hopefully Iowa finds a way to bounce back on Saturday. Worst case we want is going 1-2 on this trip, really don't want to get swept.

Reactions: icardinal
UNLV's lineup is very potent. I was surprised by the amount of guys they had that hit well over .300 and had two or three hitting over .400

How long did that stream work until it went out? I am surprised it is free based on the subscriptions they have for sale. Also, looks like there are no replays or highlights (pretty basic site)

When I watched it was a good feed. Said there were around 180 watching. Just a basic setup behind home plate.

It kept freezing for me starting around the 5-6th innings. Would close it out and reboot, work for a few minutes and freeze again. Just started following on livetracker.

Heller getting tossed tells me Iowa is getting NOTHING and the umping is a lot of home cooking. First time he's been tossed at Iowa if I remember correctly.

Iowa is taking it on the chin this weekend against a UNLV team that I think is pretty good. They have yet to lose a weekend game. You can't afford to give a potent offense like them free bases because if you do then you will pay and Iowa did both. Offensively I am hoping Iowa is in a funk, because it'll be a grind all year if this is what we have.

Finally, Iowa athletics can be done with west coast trips because any time we go out west it ends up being a disaster.

Iowa falls to UNLV 11-2. Iowa looks to avoid the sweep on Sunday, but based on what I've seen I think UNLV sweeps. One non-conference series against a solid team is not going to break the season, but they need to get something figured out offensively.

Three hits today and that is it. Iowa gave up 10 free bases today and against a potent offense you don't have a chance.

Iowa falls to UNLV 13-3 and gets swept. Obviously a disappointing weekend as Iowa could have done themselves some good RPI wise even going 1-2. First time I think Iowa has been swept in a weekend series since year one under Heller.

This UNLV team appears to be the real deal. They are 15-2 on the year now, haven't lost a game on Fri-Sun yet. They have decent starting pitching, relievers that can come in a close the door, and a potent offense. Their offense is very impressive. They hit for extra bases, put pressure on you, and have some power. Their lead off guy Bryson Stott is a tough tough out, hitting .400 on the year and .567 in lead off. You give UNLV free bases like Iowa did and you will pay and Iowa did.

Obviously I think it is safe to say offensively AND defensively Iowa takes a step back this year from last season. You're not going to replace a 30 HR guy like Adams, then you add McCoy in there (offense and defense) and it's asking a lot. The lack of extra base hits and power from Iowa this year is a bit more than I thought though. Too many free bases issued by this team so far this season too and that will cost you the big innings.

Still plenty of time and opportunities for this team, but I have lessened my expectations a bit. I think the 5th-7th place B1G prediction may be spot on, but time will tell and who knows when an offense could get hot.

Midweek game against Missouri State in Kansas City on Wednesday then the home opening series vs Evansville next weekend.

One last thing, no more west coast trips for Iowa athletics. In any sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT