ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball vs Purdue

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa hosts Purdue this weekend in Iowa City for the opening B1G series. It looks like we could be avoiding some rain, so hopefully they get all three games in. It would be good to start the B1G season off by taking this series. Nick Gallagher is back in the weekend rotation, so I am hopeful he is 100% after missing last weekend. Ryan Erickson also stays in the weekend rotation, while Drake Robison is not in it this weekend. Purdue has won six in a row heading into this weekend.

Friday - Nick Gallagher - 4:05pm
Saturday - Ryan Erickson - 2:05pm
Sunday - Cole McDonald - 1:05pm

http://hawkeyesports.com/news/2017/3/23/baseball-game-notes-purdue-march-24-26.aspx

Iowa loses to Purdue 2-0 in the B1G opener.

-Nick Gallagher pitched five scoreless innings.
-Iowa was 0-9 with RISP
-Purdue would not pitch to Adams
-70 minute rain delay

Iowa really needs to go out and get the next two. Really no excuse to get shut out by Purdue. Their pitching is rather pedestrian, but credit goes to Purdue.

I understand forcing things a bit when your team isn't hitting, but those two outs at home were by four feet. Give your team a chance.

Iowa wins 5-1 and it could have/should have been worse. It looked like another frustrating day early on. Iowa scored four runs in the 8th to take the lead.

-Justin Jenkins was 1-1 with 2 RBIs
-Mason McCoy was 3-4
-Chris Whelan was 2-4
-Jake Adams was 2-4 with 1 RBI
-Matt Hoeg was 2-3 with 1 RBI
-Luke Farley was 1-1 with 1 RBI

Iowa pitched fairly well today and got out of some jams as well.
-Ryan Erickson went 4 2/3 giving up 6 hits, 1 earned run, and had 3 K's
-Zach Daniels threw 3 2/3, giving up 2 hits, walking 2, and 4 K's. He gets credited with the W. He got in a jam in the 9th as the bases got loaded up with 1 out.
-Shane Ritter came in and 2/3 of an inning to close it out. He had 1 K and gave up no damage.

Series is tied 1-1 and the rubber match is on Sunday! Hopefully the 8th inning today allows Iowa to get the offense going from the start.

Iowa beats Purdue 7-2 and takes the series 2-1.

Iowa scored 5 runs in the 8th to break a 2-2 tie.
-Robert Neustrom was 2-4 with 2 RBIs
-Jake Adams was 2-3 with 1 RBI
-Ben Norman was 2-4 with 2 RBIs
-Grant Judkins was 1-3 with 2 RBIs

Iowa kind of had a committee day pitching wise today.
-Cole McDonald 2 2/3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 Walks, 2 K's
-Drake Robison 2 1/2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 Walk, 1 K
-Josh Martsching 1 IP, 2 K's
-Kyle Shimp 2 IP, 1 H, 1 Walk, 3 Ks - gets credited with the W
-Shane Ritter 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K's

Iowa is 13-9 overall now and 2-1 in the B1G. Iowa hosts Grandview on Wednesday then UNLV in a non-conference series next weekend.

He took a line drive to his glove wrist. Very scary right away as he dropped to the ground -- I thought he was hit in the torso.

Ouch

I'd perfectly fine with sitting him out this weekend vs UNLV if that's what it takes to get him healed up. Hopefully it's not an extended injury. He has been really coming on lately as a weekend starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT