ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball vs UNLV

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa hosts UNLV this weekend in Iowa City. Cole McDonald is listed as the Sunday starter, so hopefully he is ready to go from the injury that cut his last start short. UNLV is going to throw a pair of left handed pitchers at Iowa (Sat & Sun).

Friday - Nick Gallagher - 4:05pm
Saturday - Ryan Erickson - 2:05pm
Sunday - Cole McDonald - 11:05am

http://hawkeyesports.com/news/2017/3/30/baseball-game-notes-unlv-march-31-april-2.aspx

Just curious, why bring in UNLV for a weekend series at this point in the season when there are B10 teams not on our schedule? I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know what it is.

Just curious, why bring in UNLV for a weekend series at this point in the season when there are B10 teams not on our schedule? I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know what it is.

That's the way the conference schedule works -- 24 games over 8 weekend series.

B1G only plays 8 conference series for a total of 24 games in conference play. I am not sure if it's feasible or not to have 9 conference series or 27 games with 13 teams having baseball. I'd be fine if they could make it work, but it's the conference at not so much Iowa. We have to play somebody during the open weekend.

I actually like bringing in and playing a west coast team like UNLV as opposed to who we have played in the past such as Kansas, Kansas State, and South Dakota State. Nothing wrong with playing those teams, just nice to see a new face.

Other "bye" week teams being played by B1G teams include...

Michigan State - Fresno State
Minnesota - Long Beach State
Indiana - Xavier
Maryland - High Point
Nebraska - Cal Poly
Penn State - Columbia
Rutgers - South Carolina Upstate
Michigan - Oklahoma
Purdue - Saint Louis
Ohio State - UNC Greensboro
Illinois - Indiana State
Northwestern - Air Force

So I get playing teams in your region due to feasibility issues, but it's nice to be able to bring in a team to Iowa City when the weather is "nicer" that we couldn't otherwise do in say the normal non conference season.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned that I think is worth mentioning is the batting order change Heller made. Game one of Purdue they literally refused to pitch to Adams. So since then he has been given protection, they bumped him up to the #3 and put Neustrom in the clean up spot. So you have McCoy, Adams, Neustrom.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned that I think is worth mentioning is the batting order change Heller made. Game one of Purdue they literally refused to pitch to Adams. So since then he has been given protection, they bumped him up to the #3 and put Neustrom in the clean up spot. So you have McCoy, Adams, Neustrom.

And Neustrom made Grandview pay as they gave Adams intentional walk to fill bases and Neustrom followed with 3-run double More to his credit he did it against new left handed reliever too

Iowa beats UNLV 3-0.

Iowa is now 15-9 on the year.

A lack of offense did not hurt Iowa today as we got a quality start from Nick Gallagher followed by Josh Martsching in the final two innings. Iowa scored one run in the 3rd and two in the 8th. Iowa only had six hits on the day.

-Tyler Cropley was 2-4 with 2 RBI's, both hits were doubles
-Mitchell Boe was 1-2 with a triple
-Robert Neustrom was 2-4
-Jake Adams was 1-4 with a double
-Chris Whelan was 0-4 but had the RBI ground out to score Boe

Iowa only gave up two hits on the day and one walk. Iowa did have two errors which allowed two base runners.
-Nick Gallagher: 7 IP, 2 H, 6 K's, gets the W
-Josh Martsching 2 IP, 1 walk, 1 K, credited with a save

First time Iowa has shutout a team all year. Iowa and UNLV wrap up the series with a doubleheader tomorrow starting at noon.

UNLV has an RPI of 200+. Hope we complete the sweep. Maybe Iowa has a bit of an advantage playing in the cold breeze over a team from the desert.

Hawks rally in the bottom of the 9th for a 6-5 win! Boe smacked a 2 run double to tie and Whelan drove him in with a single. All with 2 outs! Go Hawks!

Great rally, especially when it looked like it wasn't happening for Iowa in game one of today. Iowa gave up three solo home runs I believe to UNLV.

-Jake Adams hit his 10th HR on the year, also had an RBI groundout
-Robert Neustrom was 1-4 with an RBI double in the 1st
-Ryan Erickson threw 6 2/3 innings, giving up 5 H, 3 R (1 earned), 4 K's, he did walk 4 though. I'll take a start like that from Erickson every week minus the free bases of course.
-Zach Daniels threw 2 1/3 innings. He gave up 3 H, 2 ER (solo HR each), and had 2 K's. He gets credited with the W and is 6-1 on the year.

Not a fan of the gold batting helmets. With the college-style double flap design, they make everybody's heads look ginormous.

And on the topic of headgear, appears we now have 4 different hats: black with block I, black with script I, gold with block I and gold with script I. Could get confusing...

Iowa beats UNLV 7-6 in game two and gets the weekend sweep! Iowa is now 17-9 on the season with two more home games scheduled against South Dakota State midweek and then a road B1G series vs Northwestern next weekend.

Michell Boe was absolutely huge this weekend for Iowa offensively.

Iowa scored three runs in the 8th to overcome a 6-4 deficit.
-Sloppy game, seven combined errors
-Iowa gave up three unearned runs
-Mitchell Boe was 2-4 with 3 RBI's and a double.
-Jake Adams 2-5 with 1 RBI
-Matt Hoeg was 1-1 with 1 RBI
-Cole McDonald got the start, 4 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 4 K's , 1 Walk
-Elijah Wood, Drake Robison, Kyle Shimp combined to pitch three innings
-Shane Ritter pitched the final two innings, 2 H, 1 K, 1 Walk and gets credited with the W.

Iowa really has a shot to grab a bunch of wins coming up. 2 against SDSU, series against NW, and home against Western Illinois. All of those teams are pretty bad. Would love to grab at least 5 before a big series against Nebraska.

Iowa really has a shot to grab a bunch of wins coming up. 2 against SDSU, series against NW, and home against Western Illinois. All of those teams are pretty bad. Would love to grab at least 5 before a big series against Nebraska.

I agree, but I will say that midweek games are a crap shoot at times. Now the key games are the ones @ NW. In a perfect world we start B1G play 5-1, but I'd take 4-2. Then you go to Nebraska and see what happens. Then you turn around and host Rutgers and Penn State. So need solid pitching, no free bases, no errors and we could be in good shape.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT