ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa basketball games moved up due to winter storm

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Iowa Hawkeyes men's and women's basketball games have been moved up Wednesday ahead of the winter storm coming to Iowa.

The women's team plays Dartmouth at 12:01 p.m. at Carver-Hawkeye Arena and the men's team will follow at 2:31 p.m. against Eastern Illinois.

The women were scheduled to play at 2 p.m. and the men were supposed to play later at 7 p.m.

Both games will be broadcast on B1G+.

Fans with tickets to the men's game can come early and watch the women's game (fans asked to sit in sections G, H, I — above row 20) and fans with the women's game can stay and watch the men's game as well (fans asked to relocate to sections H, I, and J — above row 20).

Reactions: LuteHawk
You'd think they could have scheduled the women's game even earlier. Like 11 am

Anyone want tickets to the men's game? I can't make it up that early.
Yeah, even Gasser won't attend that one. They just don't want to forfeit the ticket money by cancelling and offering a refund.

I remember when Iowa cancelled a game with Indiana at the old Fieldhouse in 1981 I believe. I swore it was a Saturday moved to Sunday game but Sports Reference tells me it was a Thursday game. Either way we beat Bobby Knight and Isiah Thomas for the second time that year and temporarily moved into first place in the Big X. Thomas got pissed at the end of the game and took a swing at Steve Krafcisin and was ejected. Knight was T'd up as well. After that we lost 2 road games to Jud Heathcoate and MSU 71-70 in OT and then to *O$U by 78-70.
Despite the back to back losses we still got a 3 seed but had to go to Wichita and play Wichita St on their home court while Indiana got to go to Dayton. Of course Indiana wins the NC with a 21-9 record while Iowa loses to W State and finishes 21-6. But we beat the NC champs twice...

I remember when Iowa cancelled a game with Indiana at the old Fieldhouse in 1981 I believe. I swore it was a Saturday moved to Sunday game but Sports Reference tells me it was a Thursday game. Either way we beat Bobby Knight and Isiah Thomas for the second time that year and temporarily moved into first place in the Big X. Thomas got pissed at the end of the game and took a swing at Steve Krafcisin and was ejected. Knight was T'd up as well. After that we lost 2 road games to Jud Heathcoate and MSU 71-70 in OT and then to *O$U by 78-70.
Despite the back to back losses we still got a 3 seed but had to go to Wichita and play Wichita St on their home court while Indiana got to go to Dayton. Of course Indiana wins the NC with a 21-9 record while Iowa loses to W State and finishes 21-6. But we beat the NC champs twice...
you should write basketball stories like Torbee writes football stories

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Well it was 40 years ago but I would have sworn the game was played on Sunday instead of Thursday but there is no evidence to back my memory...
what were Lutes teams known for? What style did they play on both sides? I only remember from Raveling on.

Probably balanced offense. We likely had some of our best guard play under Lute. Lester, Arnold, Carfino, Scotty Thompson, Bobby Hansen, Andre Banks, Dick Peth. Of course before the shot clock Lute would like to milk the clock with a slim lead late, using the NC " four corners " offense. A fan nightmare as nothing but uncontested layups would be allowed. Free throws had to be made...

I am going. Just gonna leave work a little early. Not much going on at work these next 2 weeks so it's a good time for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT