ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa bridges rated worst in the nation.

Let’s implement a 2% sales tax in Iowa so that the rural roads can be fixed. Who’s with me
The state had a $2 billion surplus last year. According the article I posted above, they could fix all the poor bridges for $53 million. Even if it's double that it's a fraction of the surplus.

It has taken a while and more time to come before it's finished.

But IMO, it is a wonderous engineering marvel! I've been through that intersection a couple of dozen times since construction began and traffic was flowing smoothly.

A tip of the cap to whoever is in charge of that project. Maybe they should run for POTUS.

I wasn't trying to make it seem like I was coitizing, it's been several years at least since they started the project. And the several times I've driven in the area. It definitely does look like it is nicer. We did get mixed around going from Iowa City to 80 because I think we missed the sign lol, we ended up in North Liberty, not far out of the way at least. A couple weeks ago.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
There are some very important bridges that need attention. But I'm all for closing some of the rural gravel roads and bridges. If you haven't been out there, you'll understand if you do.

When I put car counters out for the DOT, there were litterally some roads that were not traveled on when I went back to retrieve the boxes.

That being said the COVID funds should be spent. I would spend it on education and infrastructure. Our state has a brain drain problem.
If you start closing bridges in rural areas, your are effectively closing roads. Closing roads alters ag commerce, work commutes, school bus routes, emergency response routes, etc. That's money out of people's and local governments pockets.

Just fix the GD bridges.

Does anybody have any links of Reynolds proposing a fix on any of this? I haven't seen anything.

Reactions: Kelsers
It has taken a while and more time to come before it's finished.

But IMO, it is a wonderous engineering marvel! I've been through that intersection a couple of dozen times since construction began and traffic was flowing smoothly.

A tip of the cap to whoever is in charge of that project. Maybe they should run for POTUS.
Yep, the Covid year with reduced revenue pushed things back, and I think some of the original design was modified.
I think completion is expected in early 2024.

That detour from northbound 218 to westbound I-80 is a pain in the ass.

I wasn't trying to make it seem like I was coitizing, it's been several years at least since they started the project. And the several times I've driven in the area. It definitely does look like it is nicer. We did get mixed around going from Iowa City to 80 because I think we missed the sign lol, we ended up in North Liberty, not far out of the way at least. A couple weeks ago.
Did the same thing once. Crap.

Coitizing? You might want to look that one up. I don't think it's what you meant! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: TheonGreyJoy
This from an article last year when this same subject came up.

one Iowa DOT official said those rankings are a little misleading and that Iowa’s bridges are safe for the traveling public.

Black also notes it’s not uncommon for states with a lot of rural bridges — such as Iowa — to rank high on the list.

After all, more than 11,600 of the bridges in the state are rural, Black said. Of the structurally deficient bridges, 99.5 are not part of the National Highway System and only six are on the Interstate Highway System.

Cool, only 6 defective bridges on interstates in Iowa and only appx. 58 more are part of the state highway system?

Who gives a shit whose fault it is? How about we start with fixing the 64?

Times are tough….Iowa doesn’t have a surplus for infrastructure ya know!

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Do you have information that they're not?

Because the reports speak about bridges that need repair, not those that are being repaired?

And IIRC I drove across at least one of the six Interstate bridges (EB 80 and 149) in the last week on my trip home without any visible repair work going on?

Happy to be proved wrong if the 64 are under repair.

Because the reports speak about bridges that need repair, not those that are being repaired?

And IIRC I drove across at least one of the six Interstate bridges (EB 80 and 149) in the last week on my trip home without any visible repair work going on?

Happy to be proved wrong if the 64 are under repair.

Wait, we don't want St Louis natives in this state.....

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
This issue isn't all on Kim. This is your local Supervisors. The majority of the bridges are in rural Iowa where all they care about is low taxes. I guarantee most rural Supervisors are white, conservative males over the age of 65. Most are current or former farmers. They have refused to raise taxes for anything over the past 50 years. Bridges are just a small issue with rural infrastructure. The Counties claim to not have the money to fix anything yet won't raise taxes to increase revenue to fix the problems. The next 10 years will be a referendum on how conservatism doesn't work. But nothing will change. They'll blame Obama.

Last edited:
I would assume everyone drives over bridges so it should be a sales tax. No need to say only the rich pay for it. That’s not fair. Everyone chips in. I also agree that the surplus should be used to fix these roads.
You are talking about a “toll”, numb nuts

Iowa has 23,870 bridges, ranking 7th in the nation. So, yeah, Iowa has lots of bridges.

According to this article, Iowa ranks 2nd in the % of bridges in poor condition AND the highest number of bridges in poor condition. And the have the most crappy bridges by a wide margin.

Some here don't care about bridges (which is odd, they're kind of important),

But and would like to know WHY Iowa continues to make these list. FIX THE DAM BRIDGES!

According to this article, it would cost $83 million to replace the crappy bridges and $53 million to rehab them

$53 million is less than 3% of the $2 billion surplus.

🤷‍♀️

23,870 x .191 = 4559 defective bridges.

$83m / 4559 = $18,206.00 each to replace, on average.

Unless an extremely large majority of the defective bridges are simple metal culverts running under a road, I doubt those dollars figures are anywhere in the ballpark.

Reactions: JMSBFD
This issue isn't all on Kim. This is your local Supervisors. The majority of the bridges are in rural Iowa where all they care about is low taxes. I guarantee most rural Supervisors are white, conservative males over the age of 65. Most are current or former farmers. They have refused to raise taxes for anything over the past 50 years. Bridges are just a small issue with rural infrastructure. The Counties claim to not have the money to fix anything yet won't raise taxes to increase revenue to fix the problems. The next 10 years will be a referendum on how conservatism doesn't work. But nothing will change. They'll Obama.

What does race, age or sex have to do with this? WTF is wrong with you?

• Haha
Reactions: kn288
23,870 x .191 = 4559 defective bridges.

$83m / 4559 = $18,206.00 each to replace, on average.

Unless an extremely large majority of the defective bridges are simple metal culverts running under a road, I doubt those dollars figures are anywhere in the ballpark.
You're right. My bad.

I am guilty of taking two entirely separate articles and putting them together.

The second article mentions only 21 "poor" bridges for a cost to replace of $83 million.

Those 21 must really, really suck.

Reactions: Madman_1
I will always remember watching in shock and awe as A/1/113th Cav drove a 72 ton M1A1 AIM tank across a bridge with a weight limit of 25 ton outside of my old town.

Granted, they had driven the thing from Camp Dodge, which is around 30-35 miles, instead of using a HET and trailer. So, a double stupid on the unit's part. The ended up having to haul it back anyway because somewhere along the lines they blew a seal in a cooling tower and were leaking oil all over the place.

I hope a Platoon SGT got his ass reamed for that. It is funny though. Dumbasses.

If you start closing bridges in rural areas, your are effectively closing roads. Closing roads alters ag commerce, work commutes, school bus routes, emergency response routes, etc. That's money out of people's and local governments pockets.

Just fix the GD bridges.

You clearly did not read the entirety of my post. Alot of these roads and bridges are used twice a year for a couple farmers. We already give farmers way too much in government aid; why should we keep a road open just for them? If they want to buy the property and maintain it after closure, so be it. At least it is not on the public dime for more Ag welfare.

You clearly did not read the entirety of my post. Alot of these roads and bridges are used twice a year for a couple farmers. We already give farmers way too much in government aid; why should we keep a road open just for them? If they want to buy the property and maintain it after closure, so be it. At least it is not on the public dime for more Ag welfare.

I did read your post.

It was dumb.

Closing rural roads causes rural people, government entities, rural business interest to drive further to conduct day to day activities.

That means rural residents and rural businesses spend more to travel.

Instead of the locals paying more out of pocket for the inconvenience, just fix the bridges.

I did read your post.

It was dumb.

Closing rural roads causes rural people, government entities, rural business interest to drive further to conduct day to day activities.

Instead of the locals paying more out of pocket for the inconvenience, just fix the bridges.

So you are in the position that all of the county residents should have to pay for 2 farmers to reach a field that could easily be accessed by other means.

I'm being pragmatic, you are sticking your head in the sand. What day to day activities are being used for a road and bridge used twice per year?

Reactions: TheonGreyJoy
Oh look, another Iowa bridge thread by a lefty.

This same stuff has been posted on here before. And once again it lacks context. We have numerous rural roads and bridges, far greater than many states. Many are used very infrequently.
Then let's close the roads!

I did read your post.

It was dumb.

aww-shucks-bashful.gif

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
So you are in the position that all of the county residents should have to pay for 2 farmers to reach a field that could easily be accessed by other means.

I'm being pragmatic, you are sticking your head in the sand. What day to day activities are being used for a road and bridge used twice per year?
Please point out bridges that are being used 2x per year that are maintained with tax payer funds. Be specific.

Rural roads are not used exclusively by farmers. I have property in rural Harrison county that I travel to and I don't farm. That blows your farmers only argument.

How about if we maintain our roads and bridges? We're running a state surplus.

Please point out bridges that are being used 2x per year that are maintained with tax payer funds. Be specific.

Rural roads are not used exclusively by farmers. I have property in rural Harrison county that I travel to and I don't farm. That blows your farmers only argument.

How about if we maintain our roads and bridges? We're running a state surplus.

If you read the entirety of the thread, I pointed out that were numerous county roads that weren't used when I worked a summer college job for DOT. If you expect me to remember the road names 23 years later, then you are a fool.

The rural roads and bridges were built for the old days when a farmer had his 80 acres. Now it is large corporations running 1000s of acres. No sense in building new for them. We can vacate the roads and give them to them for free. There is no sense in more ag corporate welfare.

If you read the entirety of the thread, I pointed out that were numerous county roads that weren't used when I worked a summer college job for DOT. If you expect me to remember the road names 23 years later, then you are a fool.

The rural roads and bridges were built for the old days when a farmer had his 80 acres. Now it is large corporations running 1000s of acres. No sense in building new for them. We can vacate the roads and give them to them for free. There is no sense in more ag corporate welfare.

Aw shucks!

You dun cum out to the sticks as one of them smart coluge kids and got all them roads siphered out.

Bless your heart!

Stop thinking like a poor. America is the greatest country on Earth. We can serve the needs of rural America while maintaining roads and bridges in more urban areas.

You're a small thinker.

Aw shucks!

You dun cum out to the sticks as one of them smart coluge kids and got all them roads siphered out.

Bless your heart!

Stop thinking like a poor. America is the greatest country on Earth. We can serve the needs of rural America while maintaining roads and bridges in more urban areas.

You're a small thinker.

LMAO. Yeah, you got me.

You are not having a good first impression on HROT

Not a good impression to you.

In case you haven't noticed, I get pretty worked up when it comes to the condition of local infrastructure. The roads and bridges in Monona and Harrison county are a disgrace. Let's fix them up.

My apologies if I went too far with my expression of displeasure.

I hope a Platoon SGT got his ass reamed for that. It is funny though. Dumbasses.

I forgot to mention, they hauled it over the same bridge. 83000 lb truck hauling a 140000 tank across a bridge rated for 50000 lbs.

Good job guys

I forgot to mention, they hauled it over the same bridge. 83000 lb truck hauling a 140000 tank across a bridge rated for 50000 lbs.

Good job guys

LMAO. My old man who did 40 years in NG and was CSGM, would have chewed ass like no other

Reactions: SSG T
If Iowa fixed all the rural bridges to get off last place the lefties on here would complain that we're spending even more money on subsidizing farmers.

I can only imagine the outcry when the state funds a million bucks to replace a bridge that’s driven over 4 times a day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT