ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa budget surplus

That's funny because my wife's cousin who was a bleeding heart liberal school teacher in NYC moved permanently to the Villages in Florida because of the tax differences in the two states. People have choices on where they live after they retire and state taxes and weather are high on the priority list for most.
Oh, FFS. Comparing Iowa’s tax rate to states like New York and Illinois is beyond idiotic. No one ever left Iowa because the taxes were too high. People leave Iowa because it’s cold, boring, many of the people are simple and narrow-minded, and there isn’t much economic opportunity outside of agriculture and the insurance industry.

“Busting Narratives”? Lol. GTFO.

Dont you feel a tug to move to Sun City Busting? That's where a whole bunch of selfish motherphuquers live....."Yep...I am retired...I shouldn't pay taxes because I am old!"
There are 3 reasons to leave Iowa....and taxes was never on the list. Ever.

Snow, cold, and.... Kim Reynolds?

I’m all for cleaning our horrible lakes and rivers. Do you by chance know how much that would cost and how we would do it? The rivers around here seem too far gone but I’m no expert in that arena
Your idea of a local green new deal? During a recession? I think we'd be better off assisting people first until the national/world economies recover.

That's funny because my wife's cousin who was a bleeding heart liberal school teacher in NYC moved permanently to the Villages in Florida because of the tax differences in the two states. People have choices on where they live after they retire and state taxes and weather are high on the priority list for most.
I love how people who don’t want to pay taxes demand services.

Your idea of a local green new deal? During a recession? I think we'd be better off assisting people first until the national/world economies recover.
So Kim took OUR federal money and put it in the bank...and now she chooses to use it to help bail out Iowa corporations from their tax obligations. This is why "Citizen's United" needs to be repealed ASAP.

Oh, FFS. Comparing Iowa’s tax rate to states like New York and Illinois is beyond idiotic. No one ever left Iowa because the taxes were too high. People leave Iowa because it’s cold, boring, many of the people are simple and narrow-minded, and there isn’t much economic opportunity outside of agriculture and the insurance industry.

“Busting Narratives”? Lol. GTFO.
You need to study up then. I know lots of people who have moved their permanent residence from Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois for tax purposes. Actually Iowa tax burden is way above average compared to states like Florida, Tennessee, Texas, Arizona, Georgia. Here is some data if you don't believe me.

They should use the money for infrastructure improvements. Roads, bridges, schools. Fix them up or rebuild them. Pointless to cut taxes. Also, make sure they are 1 time capital expenditures
Didn’t Biden dole out billions to fix roads and bridges?

Reactions: INXS83
You need to study up then. I know lots of people who have moved their permanent residence from Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois for tax purposes. Actually Iowa tax burden is way above average compared to states like Florida, Tennessee, Texas, Arizona, Georgia. Here is some data if you don't believe me.

The states you mention have a problem.....they have higher than average support services for their residents and these states really only have one way to finance these services...and that is to tax the income of their residents.
Unlike Florida (tourists), Arizona (tourists), Texas (oil), Alaska (oil), Nevada (tourists/gambling), east coast states and California (business/economics), these states have a fraction of outside income by comparison. I have a cousin in Phoenix who told me several years ago that he never voted against a "municipal bond issue" in the Valley because it would never cost residents a cent.....any new projects were always seemingly paid for by hotel/motel tax revenues and care rental franchise fees. Makes a difference where you live....and the level of services you want to provide your people.

Reactions: billanole

When was the last time you ever spoke to someone who said...I sure wish we had services like Tennessee...or Georgia.....or Arizona! Florida and Texas are new great shakes either.....but then, give Iowa/Minnesota/Illinois/Wisconsin the oil and or tourist revenues of Texas and Florida, and I bet your services to be more extensive and cheaper!

Reactions: nelly02 and MitchLL
When was the last time you ever spoke to someone who said...I sure wish we had services like Tennessee...or Georgia.....or Arizona! Florida and Texas are new great shakes either.....but then, give Iowa/Minnesota/Illinois/Wisconsin the oil and or tourist revenues of Texas and Florida, and I bet your services to be more extensive and cheaper!
There are pros and cons to every state. All I am saying is you guys need to get your facts straight if you are saying Iowa is not already a high tax state and it does not impact retirement location decisions. The data is clear on that.

Back to the original question, In the case of Iowa lowering taxes and also having a surplus is a great thing. I used to live in Illinois so believe me, I'm thankful to be in Iowa. There is night and day difference what you get for your state tax money in Iowa compared to Illinois. If you want to see a mismanaged state look up Illinois' bond rating. Worst in the country by far.

Tax cuts will bring in even more businesses and jobs to Iowa and then even more tax revenues.
We have the 10th worst brain drain in the country and that’s not going to improve for a variety of reasons. Businesses aren’t gonna come here without an educated workforce. Or they might set up shop for tax reasons and let everyone do the remote thing.

Last edited:
There are pros and cons to every state. All I am saying is you guys need to get your facts straight if you are saying Iowa is not already a high tax state and it does not impact retirement location decisions. The data is clear on that.

Back to the original question, In the case of Iowa lowering taxes and also having a surplus is a great thing. I used to live in Illinois so believe me, I'm thankful to be in Iowa. There is night and day difference what you get for your state tax money in Iowa compared to Illinois. If you want to see a mismanaged state look up Illinois' bond rating. Worst in the country by far.
Kinda funny, but Chicago has a very vibrant economy. Other areas in Illinois are doing fine as well.
Are there poor areas and problems, sure.
Tell me the state without poor areas and problems.

We have the 10th worst brain drain in the country and that’s not going to improve for a variety of reasons. Businesses aren’t gonna come here without an educated workforce. Or they might set up shop for tax reasons and let everyone do the remote thing.
Yep. Businesses that need lower paid workers might move to Iowa.

Not many tech companies are coming.

Cleaning waterways and improving health plus recreation jump starts economic recovery.

Reactions: MitchLL
Once people understand how Reynolds thinks, her actions become predictable.

Look no further than how she went after members of her own Party that voted against her voucher plan.

She's evil in every sense of the word.

Reactions: nelly02
You really got that from my post? Lol

But go swim in one of our many rivers and or lakes then get back to me. We need to invest more into cleaning those up.

It's not high on my retirement list. Weather is though.

Can you really clean up lakes and rivers without banning the chemicals used by farmers?

sort of like forgiving student loans. Does nothing to fix the cause.

Who here has ever denied that? It is just the Illinois does its business. Its Illionos problem. Iowa has chosen to cut its taxes and reduce its services and support of its citizens. Iowa has not ever had "mismanagement" as their problem or concern......Iowa has chosen to reduce what it will do for its residents. The only losers here will be.....Iowans. Look to see what has happened to the price of education in Iowa for a clue.

It would be awesome if some of that extra money could go back to the new Department of Health and Human Services. They’ve had their budget cut repeatedly over Kim’s years and it shows.
No thank you. We spend way too much on that crap already.

Metro areas in Iowa are growing. The rural areas are not and nothing will stop those communities from shrinking.

Once people understand how Reynolds thinks, her actions become predictable.

Look no further than how she went after members of her own Party that voted against her voucher plan.

She's evil in every sense of the word.
I wouldn’t go as far as saying she is evil in every way...but she certainly is pragmatic. BTW, her decision to “primary” her voucher opponents did not go unnoticed by her GOP legislative caucus, either. Her plans for her voucher idea may never see the light of the legislature’s floor this session. Rumor is she now lacks about 15 votes to get this passed. Several Republican legislators are not her decision. Kim is looking to replace young Grassley as House Speaker...there is a real power play behind the scenes in the Iowa GOP.

Who here has ever denied that? It is just the Illinois does its business. Its Illionos problem. Iowa has chosen to cut its taxes and reduce its services and support of its citizens. Iowa has not ever had "mismanagement" as their problem or concern......Iowa has chosen to reduce what it will do for its residents. The only losers here will be.....Iowans. Look to see what has happened to the price of education in Iowa for a clue.
In-state tuition at the University of Iowa is the 2nd lowest in the B1G. The three major universities in Iowa are all very affordable relative to their peers.

I’m all for cleaning our horrible lakes and rivers. Do you by chance know how much that would cost and how we would do it? The rivers around here seem too far gone but I’m no expert in that arena
Start the process by stop polluting them they'd eventually return to normal. "Cleaning" them would just be a waste of time and money as its fixing the symptom and not the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT