ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa cannot play in the Gator, Outback or Pinstripe. 8-4 or 9-3 & no Indy? Holiday Bowl (San Diego)

None of these Bowls do much for me. The Gator Bowl on Jan 2? No thanks.

Alone in prime time on ESPN? Possibly getting to scalp the Volunteers in revenge after that debacle of a Greg Davis era bowl game? Would rather have the Citrus and a chance for a 10 win season there, but I'll take it.

Last edited:
why would you possibly want the Pinstripe Bowl? it sucks. it's in the Bronx, on a baseball field. there are no sight lines and, if they don't make an honest attempt to make the field right the players end up sliding in mud. The Bronx sucks on most days (except for Arthur Ave) on a cold winter day it really sucks.
(unless of course you were joking then just ignore me) :)
I was being sarcastic. nobody wants to play in that bowl. It's the 2nd worst bowl IMO, next to detroit.

Reactions: BettDogs7
I was being sarcastic. nobody wants to play in that bowl. It's the 2nd worst bowl IMO, next to detroit.

Two worst bowls overall or in the B1G lineup? And are you talking the games/festivities or just the locations where you want to travel in December? There are some total crap bowl games out there in places you find a lot of octogenarians and snow birds.

The B1G's opponents in the Pinstripe and QuickLane could be Florida State and Miami (FL) this year.

Detroit sucked as a bowl game for sure, but I went anyway.

Two worst bowls overall or in the B1G lineup? And are you talking the games/festivities or just the locations where you want to travel in December? There are some total crap bowl games out there in places you find a lot of octogenarians and snow birds.

The B1G's opponents in the Pinstripe and QuickLane could be Florida State and Miami (FL) this year.

the B1G would have a big advantage playing in the cold over FSU and Miami if that happens.

I miss bowl games.........

Remember the rules for picking are to protect the bowls not the schools. The bowls can take pretty much who they want if it is their turn to pick. I would guess the gator would trade with music City if Iowa was still available because Bart's has publicly told them no.

I would guess Holiday or Red Box though would be out destination

Reactions: ichawk24
Two terrible bowl opponents in two terrible bowls. No thanks.

Iowa won't be in either of those bowls this year, but even though Fla St and Miami are down, don't tell me that having either of them as an opponent wouldn't pump up the Iowa fan base for a minor bowl game a bit more than Boston College or Pittsburgh.

Iowa won't be in either of those bowls this year, but even though Fla St and Miami are down, don't tell me that having either of them as an opponent wouldn't pump up the Iowa fan base for a minor bowl game a bit more than Boston College or Pittsburgh.
Agreed. We all want the best possible game for Iowa but if they have to play a team with a lesser record in a lesser bowl than I’d totally prefer a school like that. They have the name and they do still have talent.

Depending on how things play out Iowa still has a chance at the Citrus Bowl. It's a small chance but if the CFP started today the B1G would have 3 teams playing in the NY6 based on rankings as of now.

If the B1G gets 3 teams in that would leave Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa all at 9-3 (assuming Iowa wins Friday). While both teams beat Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin would be coming off a loss and would be ranked very closely with Iowa. They would be coming off a 3 game win streak as well.

Michigan was their in 2016 and Wisconsin 2014. Iowa was 2005 so Iowa might travel better then both teams. As for Outback Iowa and Michigan played last 2 years Wisconsin was 2015. So I could see that scenario playing out as Citrus: Iowa, Outback: Wisconsin and Hoilday: Michigan. Of course that's all depending on 3 B1G in the CFP.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I’d like to see more bowl games with B1G vs Big 12 teams..Vegas,Alamo,Texas.

I’d like to see more bowl games with B1G vs Big 12 teams..Vegas,Alamo,Texas.

Agreed. Zero matchups during this past 6-year bowl cycle (outside NY6). Doesn't make much sense. B1G and Big 12 will be matched up in Cheez-It Bowl for the next 6-year cycle, but it's far down the pecking order, so the matchups won't be terribly exciting. Would've like to see the Alamo go back to a fairly high-level matchup of the B1G and Big 12, or maybe have the Liberty Bowl pick up that kind of game. Oh, well. Guess we'll just have to be satisfied with beating Iowa St every year.

I recall somewhere on these boards someone mentioned what part of town the team usually stays in but I cannot find it. Knowing nothing about San Diego where is it recommended newcomers stay to have the best time and be close to the team and activities if we we get to the Holiday Bowl. Thanks in advance.

I recall somewhere on these boards someone mentioned what part of town the team usually stays in but I cannot find it. Knowing nothing about San Diego where is it recommended newcomers stay to have the best time and be close to the team and activities if we we get to the Holiday Bowl. Thanks in advance.

Stay in La Jolla

I think if the Buckeyes humiliate the Wolverines the Hawks will be more desirable in bowl scheme.

Most likely destination is still the Holiday Bowl.

Followed by (outside chance):
* Redbox
* Citrus (reps were in Lincoln to watch Iowa)

Last edited:
I think if the Buckeyes humiliate the Wolverines the Hawks will be more desirable in bowl scheme.

I suspect that you are right, yrunvs.

don't know what the chances of Michigan getting their ass kicked are, as this is a big rivalry, but Ohio State is pretty darn good.

I would love the Holiday IF it is Arizona State (i.e., somebody we can beat) Not sure I want to face USC.

another thing is, it seeems like the Holiday is salivating over a USC v. Michigan matchup, and also seems like USC may be headed to the Alamo. in that case, would Iowa be a good option? (especially if, as you said, Michigan gets clobbered by Ohio State today)?

it's still up in the air, but I am liking our chances at the HOliday a lot more than I did a few days ago.

Stay in La Jolla
La Jolla is a good option. But honestly don't worry about where the team stays. There are lots of good spots to stay. Doodle would also recommend Mission Bay area for families, Shelter Island for a slightly more tranquil option, Coronado Island for the classic San Diego experience, and if you really want a party atmosphere right outside your hotel door, then look at the Gaslamp Quarter.

Stay in the gaslamp district. Lots of restaurants and bars. Very cool place

Collegefootballnews has predicted Iowa will go to the Citrus Bowl against Flurida. Tired of those jackanapes.

Per Scott Dochterman, an ISU-Iowa doubleheader in Orlando has been discussed (Iowa State to CW; Iowa to Citrus), though not the first discussion.

CW is held Dec. 28; Citrus on Jan. 1.

As you can see in the tweets that follow,

* The Citrus wants Iowa.
* Holiday Bowl director Mark Neville says either Iowa or Michigan will rep the B1G.

The latest:

Last edited:
Reactions: NI hawk
So the Holiday Bowl is going to pick 9-3 Iowa over 9-3 Michigan who beat Iowa? The Bowl situation this year does not look good. If Iowa ends up in the Red Box Bowl vs. Cal, which I have seen projected, that will really not be good. IMO you want to play the highest profile team possible.

Good article explaining the scenarios.

Synopsis - hope the Orange picks an SEC team so that Citrus can pick a B1G school, which would pretty much guarantee the Holiday for Iowa. Otherwise, it's a choice between Iowa and Michigan for the Holiday, and blue bloods tend to win those battles. Which would probably mean Redbox for Iowa.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-holiday-bowl-michigan-wolverines/2599494001/

Reactions: Franisdaman
I don't know what's funnier - The Citrus Bowl taking Iowa instead of Michigan to face Alabama, or the Camping World Bowl taking Iowa State instead of Texas to face Notre Dame.

Good article explaining the scenarios.

Synopsis - hope the Orange picks an SEC team so that Citrus can pick a B1G school, which would pretty much guarantee the Holiday for Iowa. Otherwise, it's a choice between Iowa and Michigan for the Holiday, and blue bloods tend to win those battles. Which would probably mean Redbox for Iowa.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-holiday-bowl-michigan-wolverines/2599494001/

The other variable involves Wisconsin receiving an invite to Cotton Bowl (assuming PSU in Rose Bowl). If Baylor, OU or Utah (I don’t think Oregon would be considered after a loss to Utah) receive an invite to Cotton Bowl, Wisconsin is likely Citrus bound - leaving Michigan or Iowa for the Holiday Bowl’s selection.

Lawhon’s analysis in DMR is very good ... when I suggested same scenario to Dochterman on the Twitter thread (before Lahnow’s analysis appeared in DMR), I received a snarky response suggesting that he was the one “in the know” because he’s talking to Bowl reps.

Lawhon’s analysis confirms what just about anyone applying common sense knows. Iowa needs BOTH Wisconsin and PSU to get NY6 bids (one to Rose, the other to Cotton) in order to avoid the Holiday having to pick Iowa or Michigan. If Wisconsin earns Rose invite and Cotton doesn’t pick PSU, PSU will go to Citrus. If PSU earns Rose invite and Cotton doesn’t be pick Wisconsin, Citrus will take Wisconsin.

Iowa fans should be rooting for Wisconsin to give OSU one hell of a battle in B1G conference championship game.

Last edited:
I don't know what's funnier - The Citrus Bowl taking Iowa instead of Michigan to face Alabama, or the Camping World Bowl taking Iowa State instead of Texas to face Notre Dame.

I’d agree except that there is the contract issue and Michigan has been to Citrus within last 6 years. That adds some legitimacy to the discussion. But, otherwise, I agree with notion that Michigan will be picked ahead of Iowa this year - by either Citrus or Holiday.

I’d agree except that there is the contract issue and Michigan has been to Citrus within last 6 years. That adds some legitimacy to the discussion. But, otherwise, I agree with notion that Michigan will be picked ahead of Iowa this year - by either Citrus or Holiday.
So, if not the Holiday then the Redbox.

It's a weird year. We are 9-3 and we might end up in the Redbox. #5 Utah is 11-2 and is heading to the Alamo Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT