ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa/Chattanooga Dual Thread

Desanto looked like he could hardly wait for the first whistle to blow...

For sure, but with his past history if he acts like Tony used to and hype the crowd it would be a national scandal. In our little world of wrestling anyway. I just miss the lightweight hype getting the crowd going.

Love Spence of course, but he’s no hype man with crazy antics, just armbar tilt, armbar tilt....its over. A face smush every now and then or a flex wouldn’t kill him. He’s all business and a sportsman, nothing wrong with that. He hypes the crowd by knocking off the top wrestlers we all dislike.

Reactions: sambud and Chuck C
Wow. Really starting to question some of the "insider" info being thrown out on this forum. Glynn gives up 3 takedowns in the first period to nobody Chattanooga wrestler.
That was my thought. Didn’t someone say Glynn may have the best defense in the country!? At the end of the day he got the job done! Go Hawks!

OK, I was disappointed with Lee's match today, and he was hurting by the end of the first, and I'm hoping it was only tiredness. I often wonder if anyone else really reads these threads though. Last year, one of the "insiders" and posters I really trust stated that Spencer would probably never be 100% again with the ailment he had. He learned to work through it last year, and I'm confident he will again this year. Brands stated in one interview that Spencer would be wrestling himself into shape as the season wears on, and I trust that he knows more than any of us.
I felt that several guys looked either unmotivated or tired today, and UTC seemed more up for the meet than the Hawks did. All that said, it's the first meet of the year, and Iowa has a history of not being the best team in the nation in November (or in March the past ten years, but that's a whole different story). I'll be concerned if they still look like this in late January, but for now, I'll take a dominating (on the scoreboard) win over a decent and game team to start the season. I won't go with match-by-match analysis, but I saw some positives and negatives today and will wait until after Christmas to panic about what I'm seeing.

Are we assuming there was some sort of wrestle off where Brands beat Cash? Brands looked good for a guy who is clearly a 165/174 wrestling 184. He has some serious power so that helps but does not have a 184 frame.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Clearly there is an issue with SL knee. There is no other reason why the staff or Spencer would choose to regress back to a big bulky brace after he "freed the knee". The severity of the problem, we don't know, never will know and probably don't need to know. Lee is currently not in the condition needed to win a third consecutive title. Will he be by March, my money says yes. He likely isn't getting the cardio in that some of the other guys are getting, because his knee can't take the wear and tare right now. Hence why coaches have said he has to wrestle himself back into shape. He has shown us twice already that you don't hit the panic button on SL in November.

Some of you should look up the definition of familiarity. Then maybe you will understand why some wrestle off matches are tight.

Agreed familiarity is a factor, but the way some of the insiders had talked about Teasdale, and then him beating Glynn by only a point, only to be told Glynn has some of the best defensive wrestling in the country, then watch Glynn give up 3 takedowns in the first to an unranked Chattanooga wrestler and Teasdale lose to a Wartburg wrestler yesterday. Just makes ya raise some eyebrows at some of the recent claims made.

With that said, I agree with the sentiment that one loss early in the season doesn't necessarily mean much.

Reactions: chuck285
Clearly there is an issue with SL knee. There is no other reason why the staff or Spencer would choose to regress back to a big bulky brace after he "freed the knee". The severity of the problem, we don't know, never will know and probably don't need to know. Lee is currently not in the condition needed to win a third consecutive title. Will he be by March, my money says yes. He likely isn't getting the cardio in that some of the other guys are getting, because his knee can't take the wear and tare right now. Hence why coaches have said he has to wrestle himself back into shape. He has shown us twice already that you don't hit the panic button on SL in November.
Maybe he just feels more comfortable with it on. Could be entirely psychological.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
You are fcking blind? Coming off the mat he looked the worst. He did NOT look fine.

It didn’t take long before I turned to my buddy and mentioned he didn’t look right.

Okay, we got it. Lets drop it and watch him win his third. What good comes of your comments? Nothing. Let’s just be like Belichick and keep all injuries to ourselves. Spence can win with mono, one leg and kidney failure or any other ailment that people bring up unless he faces that crazy dude Desanto. So it’s all good. Now stfu.

I know other coaches see what we see, but do you want Iowa to reveal what could be his weakness? JESUS!!! Get a brain and a clue. We all worry about the same thing, but let’s let it play out and let Tom do what’s best for the team. Would he throw him out against a scrub team if he was dying? Uh, no. Did he look like a national champ today? Probably not, but time, skills and style are on his side.

Question for those who wrestled both free and folk. Was the “gas tank” more important for one style over another? I only wrestled folk. Was curious how much of a problem Spencer’s “issue” could cause when trying to reach international goals.

Question for those who wrestled both free and folk. Was the “gas tank” more important for one style over another? I only wrestled folk. Was curious how much of a problem Spencer’s “issue” could cause when trying to reach international goals.

Wrestling is wrestling.

After today, I’m a bit worried about the idea of SL going both styles this season. I could see him going both if hitting on all cylinders, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

A bit of a sanity check please...

this was the first time to weight with a one hour weigh in “in Carver under the lights” this year.

They looked flat as a whole, but the first time at weight is a big change.

If you watched wrestling over the last couple weekends, most teams looked really flat.
Compared to my thoughts prior to the match on how the Chattanooga team would look, I don’t think they looked all that flat.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Okay, we got it. Lets drop it and watch him win his third. What good comes of your comments? Nothing. Let’s just be like Belichick and keep all injuries to ourselves. Spence can win with mono, one leg and kidney failure or any other ailment that people bring up unless he faces that crazy dude Desanto. So it’s all good. Now stfu.

I know other coaches see what we see, but do you want Iowa to reveal what could be his weakness? JESUS!!! Get a brain and a clue. We all worry about the same thing, but let’s let it play out and let Tom do what’s best for the team. Would he throw him out against a scrub team if he was dying? Uh, no. Did he look like a national champ today? Probably not, but time, skills and style are on his side.

Listen you sensitive little bitch, settle down.

Reactions: chuck285
Compared to my thoughts prior to the match on how the Chattanooga team would look, I don’t think they looked all that flat.

It wasn’t UTC’s first weigh in.
It makes a difference.
None of us knows how each guy handled the cut good or bad.

Just not sure why after a drubbing like that, some Iowa fans are already saying the sky is falling.

If you watched the presser, Brands is saying it as well. Not that the sky is falling, but some fans are a bit unrealistic.

Iowa has the most fans and many of the best fans, but statistically speaking they also have more of the worst fans as well.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
It makes a difference.

Just not sure why after a drubbing like that, some Iowa fans are already saying the sky is falling.

If you watched the presser, Brands is saying it as well. Not that the sky is falling, but some fans are a bit unrealistic.

Iowa has the most fans and many of the best fans, but statistically speaking they also have more of the worst fans as well.

Let’s edit “worst” for “overly passionate.” Sounds better to recruits.

Certainly not more of the "worst" fans, but there are many with very high expectations and holding those very strong standards often has the effect of speaking a lot of criticism.

One of the wild things about our sport is that individual wrestling styles often impact the way even the best might look in an individual match. My freshman year in college I was certainly no better than average, but in one match I beat the person who finished 3rd in the nation that year. It wasn't because I was better than he was, because I certainly wasn't, but it was how our styles clashed in that particular match.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
It makes a difference.

The name of the board should be change to Iowa Wrestling Discussion And PR board. Not serious of course.

Some athletes can handle playing for the Yankees on the big stage, some run from it, and many have tried and wilted. I’ll take the ones that want the big stage and put more pressure on themselves than any fan or 15,000 could ever put on them.

Sokol was afraid of the big stage so he’s on the border of Canada now in a sleepy, safe little valley town. Jk, good luck kid. That one hurts.

Reactions: atkins 23
well i'm happy. wanted to see the dawg and he exceeded anything i was hoping for. that gives us 8 guys who are quarter-final likely.where they take it from there will be a blast to see.

Reactions: TarpHawk
All these issues and concerns with Spencer.
Spencer Lee’s commitment to Iowa was the single most important event in the last decade for Iowa Wrestling. Since his arrival he’s only delivered two National Championships and a new image for this program.
For any potential recruits reading this message board, know you will wrestle for the most loyal fan base in the world.
Unfortunately you have to sift through negativity.

Last edited:
It makes a difference.

Who said the sky is falling? I think the consensus grades on each kid ranged from “meh, it’s the first meet” to “holy cow he looked good!”

I think you’re selectively reading.

Spencer Lee’s commitment to Iowa was the single most important event in the last decade for Iowa Wrestling. Since his arrival he’s only delivered two National Championships and a new image for this program.
For any potential recruits reading this message board, know you will wrestle for the most loyal fan base in the world.
What negativity?

I agree with most of this post as I have stated many times that Spencer is my all time favorite Hawk and I absolutely LOVE everything he brings to the table! I just don't get where we have all become so soft that people questioning his health or what shape he is in is considered being negative. I for one was hoping the SL that could have majored Suriano in the National Championship match and that destroyed Tomasello in that same tournament would take the mat! After yesterday I am feeling that something is just not right and trying to win an Olympic and national title is going to be very hard if his health is not close to 100%. If it can be done I truly believe SL is the man to do it and I don't think any of this is being negative just concerned. Maybe I was so excited to get this season going I expected to much but was not overly impressed with yesterdays performance.

For any potential recruits reading this message board, the majority of Hawkeye fans know the difference between "concern" and "negativity".

Lee is a 2 time national champ yes we get it but everyone on here is very committed to the sport and can see when someone is gassed. Nothing wrong with being concerned with the face of the team especially someone wanting to win gold twice this year.

Tom Brands seemed pretty damn happy in his presser, which speaks volumes. He's usually a guy pushing improvement and concentrating on constructive criticism over high fives, fanny pats, and good jobs.

The fact that he was pleasant and in a good mood means everything. Who knows what these guys went through this week. He may have pushed them hard all week and even into Sunday. I've heard him doing interval training and he may have roughed these guys up on purpose and sent them out in a tired state to coach up some mental toughness.

Tom Brands seemed pretty damn happy in his presser, which speaks volumes. He's usually a guy pushing improvement and concentrating on constructive criticism over high fives, fanny pats, and good jobs.

The fact that he was pleasant and in a good mood means everything. Who knows what these guys went through this week. He may have pushed them hard all week and even into Sunday. I've heard him doing interval training and he may have roughed these guys up on purpose and sent them out in a tired state to coach up some mental toughness.
Tom has to be pleased with his nephew debuting in Carver, Kem making a strong comeback after injury, and Cass with his first pinfall of many enroute to setting the career pinfall record.

The weights that worry me most about our 2020 NCAA team championship prospects are ‘49 and ‘97.

Gobblin, are you saying you expect more NCAA points from 184 than either of 149 and 197 (5.5 and 7.5 points last year, respectively), or that 149 and 197 are the weights that worry you most relative to consensus expectations.

We are fans we are speculating this is what fans do. Its generally not just being negative its offering a take on early season looks. I don't like to be a cretic and Im usually on the positive side, but part of being a fan/former wrestler is giving a view and enjoying the process.
Our concerns will be mostly nullified as we take on ISU. Go Hawks

Reactions: artradley
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT