ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City and DOT to replace Burlington Street Iowa River Bridges

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The city owns the north bridge and the state owns the south bridge:

Two Iowa City bridges are getting replaced, with the city receiving a $300,000 federal grant to put towards bridge improvements over the Iowa River downtown.
It includes replacing the two existing bridges on Burlington Street and Highway One with one single structure.

KWWL spoke to U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg on Tuesday to learn more about the project and how it will work.
Buttigieg said, "Our bridge program includes bridge planning grants and that's what was announced for Iowa City. This funding is going to help actually do that planning work and then that in turn will put Iowa City in a position to qualify for construction grants once that bridge is ready to go."

Iowa continues to rank first in the nation for the number of poor bridges. The poor category does not indicate that there is a safety issue. It means that they have deterioration or damage that may need repaired or replaced in the near future.

A grant from the Federal Highway Administration will allow Iowa City to begin planning improvements to the Burlington Street Bridge.
The $300,000 grant was announced in August as a part of the Bridge Investment Program created by the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act. The law has created a five-year plan that will provide $350 billion to federal highway programs.
The Burlington Street Bridge, which was built in 1871 and, connects the east and west side of the University of Iowa campus. The last renovation to this bridge was in spring 2020.

As of 2020, Iowa is leading the nation in the number of structurally deficient bridges with 4,504, or 18.5 percent, of state bridges in poor condition.
In an Oct. 7 press release, Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley said the funds are a step toward improving these conditions.
“Unfortunately, Iowa leads the nation in the overall number of structurally deficient bridges, and that’s one of the many reasons I supported the bipartisan infrastructure law,” Grassley wrote. “I’m glad to see our roads and bridges are getting the updates and improvements needed to improve travel for Iowans.”
Scott Neubauer, bridge maintenance and inspection engineer for the Iowa Department of Transportation, said bridge maintenance is crucial and a frequent project in the state.
“Every bridge requires an inspection every 24 months at minimum, we base our decisions on what work we want to do on those inspections,” he said. “On the state highway system, we replace anywhere from 15 to 30 bridges a year, on average.”
Neubauer said the project will have an impact on commutes due to road closures and dentures for construction. The scale of road closure for the repairs, however, has not been determined.
“When we’re having to do bridge repair or bridge replacement, traffic is an important aspect of every project depending on what the traffic volume is and the number of trucks that are using that route,” he said. “We always want to try and keep traffic flowing as best as possible through our construction zones.”
Planning for the project to repair the Burlington Street Bridge will be done by Iowa City engineers. Afterward, the Department of Transportation will work together with the city on funding and construction matters because the state shares jurisdiction over the bridge.
The project will be overseen by Jason Havel, the City of Iowa City’s city engineer. Havel said the funds received will help the city start planning crucial improvements to the bridge.
“The city’s bridge is reaching the end of its useful life and needs to be replaced here in the next few years,” he said. “This money will help us to start the process and it’ll be focused on looking at starting our environmental review of the project area.”
Iowa City and the Department of Transportation will need additional funding for construction, Havel said. This will come from the Federal Highway Association and the Iowa gas tax.
Construction on the bridge is not set to start until 2028. Havel said the outcome of the project will be positive for downtown Iowa City.
“It’s going to be a long process and we’re working through that and there’s a lot that we still have to do as far as planning and design,” he said. “It’s an exciting project that is going to sort of transform the landscape downtown and this river crossing.”

634767a7-4414-4429-b696-ca323cae81bf-230119-Burlington_St_Bridge-002.JPG

tumblr_ptz0v2e0hS1trxs3po1_1280.jpg

(Between 1915 -1920 )

Umm...

“Every bridge requires an inspection every 24 months at minimum, we base our decisions on what work we want to do on those inspections,”

Look at this bullshit. Dump all over the Dems then line up with your hands out. GOP is so full of shit.

“Unfortunately, Iowa leads the nation in the overall number of structurally deficient bridges, and that’s one of the many reasons I supported the bipartisan infrastructure law,” Grassley

It will be tedious, yes. But wouldn't they do one first and then the other? Certainly not both at the same time, right?
Except they're replacing 2 bridges with one. Can they build half a bridge, open it, then build the second half?
Also, this really limits the fun in following idiot drunks who try to jump between the bridges and succumb to natural selection.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I told Mrs. Lucas about this yesterday as we drove to the Iowa game and she spent about 15 minutes bitching about what her commute will be like. I reminded her multiple times this is literally 5 years away, save some anger for the refs. My guess is they will piecemeal it and the project will last 4 years versus dynamiting the existing spans and doing it in 2 years.

• Love
Reactions: GOHOX69
I told Mrs. Lucas about this yesterday as we drove to the Iowa game and she spent about 15 minutes bitching about what her commute will be like. I reminded her multiple times this is literally 5 years away, save some anger for the refs. My guess is they will piecemeal it and the project will last 4 years versus dynamiting the existing spans and doing it in 2 years.
And by then we'll all have flying cars anyway

• Love
Reactions: GOHOX69 and Ree4
Except they're replacing 2 bridges with one. Can they build half a bridge, open it, then build the second half?
Also, this really limits the fun in following idiot drunks who try to jump between the bridges and succumb to natural selection.
I don't know...but I shudder to think of Iowa City traffic with that bridge(s) closed for a length of time. Yikes.

I have seen new bridges constructed where the whole new bridge is built first and then the old one(s) are knocked out. I don't know if there is enough room for that approach here or not though.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Yes they can go 1/2 at a time. I always enjoy the north bridge bouncing when I'm waiting at the light. Hopefully they design that in the new one.

Look at this bullshit. Dump all over the Dems then line up with your hands out. GOP is so full of shit.

“Unfortunately, Iowa leads the nation in the overall number of structurally deficient bridges, and that’s one of the many reasons I supported the bipartisan infrastructure law,” Grassley
He wouldn't know the truth if it kicked him in the balls.

I always felt the eastbound travel on Burlington (across Hwy 6) onto the bridge was confusing as heck. It wasn't ever clear to me whether it stays 2 lanes or becomes 3 lanes there, or which eastbound lane matches with which one on the bridge. Inevitably someone always gets pissed and feels cutoff there. Hopefully they fix that too.

I always felt the eastbound travel on Burlington (across Hwy 6) onto the bridge was confusing as heck. It wasn't ever clear to me whether it stays 2 lanes or becomes 3 lanes there, or which eastbound lane matches with which one on the bridge. Inevitably someone always gets pissed and feels cutoff there. Hopefully they fix that too.
It's been restriped to two lanes already

Reactions: hawkdave007

He wouldn't know the truth if it kicked him in the balls.
Chill out, guys. Grassley voted for the bill.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_votes/vote1171/vote_117_1_00314.htm

I don't know...but I shudder to think of Iowa City traffic with that bridge(s) closed for a length of time. Yikes.

I have seen new bridges constructed where the whole new bridge is built first and then the old one(s) are knocked out. I don't know if there is enough room for that approach here or not though.
There is no way to build a new span. You've got the UI power plant on the south side of Burlington. The water treatment plant on the north side, plus other buildings. On the west side of the river you have those bluffs and the hydraulics lab. I guess there is an engineering way, but you'd need Chinese government kind of money to throw at it to get it done.

There is no way to build a new span. You've got the UI power plant on the south side of Burlington. The water treatment plant on the north side, plus other buildings. On the west side of the river you have those bluffs and the hydraulics lab. I guess there is an engineering way, but you'd need Chinese government kind of money to throw at it to get it done.
I think you are probably right in that this space is tight, but it would still seem plausible to come up with an approach that doesn't shut that route down completely for months/years, no???

Why not keep the same two bridge concept? Build one, then the other.

I think you are probably right in that this space is tight, but it would still seem plausible to come up with an approach that doesn't shut that route down completely for months/years, no???

From what I have read the split span takes up a little more room, requires more upkeep, is a bit of a hazard, the impact on water flow would be less with one span, and maintenance for a future span would be reduced over a twin span design.
If the engineered a utilize while replace design I think it would entail giant looping ramps. Just blow it up and reroute everything to the Benton St. and Iowa Ave. bridges.

I predict they will take down one span while working on the new bridge and change the traffic to two-way on a single span until the new bridge is ready for traffic. I can't imagine the traffic nightmare of having the ENTIRE bridge out for what will be at least two years of construction.

I predict they will take down one span while working on the new bridge and change the traffic to two-way on a single span until the new bridge is ready for traffic. I can't imagine the traffic nightmare of having the ENTIRE bridge out for what will be at least two years of construction.
You are the jackass who thinks they can build a basketball arena downtown. WTF do you know about bridges!
The issue is that with a planned single span replacement you would not have the room to utilize either of the current spans. At least not that I can see.

You are the jackass who thinks they can build a basketball arena downtown. WTF do you know about bridges!
The issue is that with a planned single span replacement you would not have the room to utilize either of the current spans. At least not that I can see.
Weird how the yokels in Lincoln managed it. Guess we Iowans are just too dumb and bad at engineering :rolleyes:

We shall see regarding the bridge replacement. I still bet they utilize one span while construction starts on the replacement. If not, it's going to be a fustercluck of epic proportions traffic wise.

Weird how the yokels in Lincoln managed it. Guess we Iowans are just too dumb and bad at engineering :rolleyes:

We shall see regarding the bridge replacement. I still bet they utilize one span while construction starts on the replacement. If not, it's going to be a fustercluck of epic proportions traffic wise.
Do you have any info on this Lincoln bridge? Not sure what you are referencing.
But, again, how are you going to replace two spans with one in that space? Especially if they remove the roller dam.
Have you ever considered a downtown arena spanning the river above the new bridge? The views would be awesome.

Yeah, that's what I am saying, but I am gathering that this is not the plan. I also am not sure about that as I just read/heard of this today. Perhaps there is more to the story than I am aware of.

Guessing they'll start shutting down lanes and doing demo about a week before the first day of classes.......

Also, a 300k grant - I'd guess that's a drop in the bucket of what it would cost to replace that bridge.
I assume they'll do it just in time for football one year, then drag out the re-opening until just after the end of football season whatever year they finally complete the project. Then, they'll spend 2-3 yeas working on Riverside Drive...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT