ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City Apt Rates

Camhawk2012

HR MVP
Nov 13, 2020
My nephew is at Iowa. Recently we were chatting. He mentioned that one of the buildings near downtown markets itself as student housing. A 1 bedroom 1 bath 500sqft rents for $1800/month. You have got to be kidding. How do college students afford that? Nearly 1/2 of Iowa students receive financial aid.

• Wow
Reactions: JupiterHawk
My nephew is at Iowa. Recently we were chatting. He mentioned that one of the buildings near downtown markets itself as student housing. A 1 bedroom 1 bath 500sqft rents for $1800/month. You have got to be kidding. How do college students afford that? Nearly 1/2 of Iowa students receive financial aid.
I'm guessing he's living in the Ped Mall or very close to downtown.

I lived across the river most of my time at Iowa and was paying much more manageable rates for a college student.

only rich kids had their own apartment when I was in school

Reactions: Tenacious E
Very few would be paying that.

My daughter lives with some friends and it costs us $500 a month.

Yeah, downtown has always been expensive. My last year at Iowa 4 of us shared a 3 bedroom place on South Dodge. I don’t remember exactly how much it was, but it wasn’t cheap.

Before that I lived over by the airport and drove into campus every day. My now wife (no pic) lived on North Dodge, close to Hy-Vee. I don’t think I knew anyone that had their own place.

I'm calling bullshit for your typical college students. I just looked and the shitholes on south Johnson where we lived are about $350 to $500 per head per month. If you want to live in a one-bedroom apartment in a new building in the best location like an adult would, then you pay what you quoted.

My son has a single (tired of roommates) and he's by the fraternities on the west side of the river and it's not cheap even there. But it is nice for him to have his own place. It's actually a big apartment. There's a lot of couples living there in one bedrooms, so that would be cheaper for them.

there are cheaper alternatives than living in one of the new high rises, i have had a daughter and 2 nephews live in off campus housing and shared 3 bed room apartments, at or under $2,000, split 3 ways were under $700/each.

Just checked with my nephew, he lives 6 blocks from the pentacrest in an apartment, $1,200 for 2 bedroom, they each pay $600/mo.

ADVERTISEMENT