ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City NIL Club

Apr 8, 2003
I've been seeing a number of these player driven NIL Clubs announced this week at other schools with fans paying for more access to the team, which is kind of what I envisioned NIL being in its best form.

Here's Iowa's:

• Love
Reactions: dbrocket
I've been seeing a number of these player driven NIL Clubs announced this week at other schools with fans paying for more access to the team, which is kind of what I envisioned NIL being in its best form.

Here's Iowa's:

Online community to interact with players, nothing bad could happen with that at all.

Here's Iowa's:

I love it. To be honest, I have no interest in interacting with 17-22 year olds from any background, but I'm all for whatever it takes to get these players a piece of the pie that they bake every year. I'll happily send some money their way and just not bother showing up. Lol.

Online community to interact with players, nothing bad could happen with that at all.
No doubt. I'm sure the conversations won't go totally sideways like they do here sometimes. You know, "hey Tyler why don't you even try to block the guy", or "whats the deal with you just curling up in a ball when a defender breaks through the line"? Oh ,boy. Seriously, I'm envious of you guys who live close enough to join in the tailgate and meet and greets. That would be well worth a couple C notes for membership. Just too damn long a drive up in back when have to work saturday morning, and Monday early.

Last edited:
I see the tailgates going similar to this:

giphy.gif

chris-farley.gif

Player driven NIL? So is Spencer Petrus [fill in a name] cooking this up on his Apple laptop? Who is really behind this? Not saying it's illegal, just seems like it has some backing that isn't coming directly from the players. It would be nice to know if a slice of my money would be going somewhere besides the players.

Easy for me to spend 200...I think I have gotten way more than 200 bucks worth of entertainment since the days of Sir Jam-A-Lot

Reactions: cmhawks99
I could be wrong, but if the tailgates are game days in the fall wouldn't it just be NIL donors? The players are pretty busy on those days.
I think it also mentioned meet and greets, and online access to players, which could get interesting....

Basically just an outright request from players for $200.

I am sure whatever they are offering in return for the funds will happen and be well organized. What a world. For the record I cannot fathom paying to hang out with 18-22 year olds.

Player driven NIL? So is Spencer Petrus [fill in a name] cooking this up on his Apple laptop? Who is really behind this? Not saying it's illegal, just seems like it has some backing that isn't coming directly from the players. It would be nice to know if a slice of my money would be going somewhere besides the players.
I guess I don't see this as a huge win for the players in the world of NIL. $200 per membership limited to 200 members is $40,000. I imagine there are web hosting fees, blockchain programming/fees (however that works) for the membership, costs for the tailgates, etc. If this is just 20 players that are part of it they get what $1,500 each and now are committed to blog, do meet and greets, etc.

I would also guess this is not the top of the roster so to speak. Is Campbell going to commit to bloging and meet and greets for $1,500 a year? It will be interesting to see if they release who the players are before the membership sale starts. I have a feeling you will see a number of walkons and 3rd stringers.

• Haha
Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
I guess I don't see this as a huge win for the players in the world of NIL. $200 per membership limited to 200 members is $40,000. I imagine there are web hosting fees, blockchain programming/fees (however that works) for the membership, costs for the tailgates, etc. If this is just 20 players that are part of it they get what $1,500 each and now are committed to blog, do meet and greets, etc.

I would also guess this is not the top of the roster so to speak. Is Campbell going to commit to bloging and meet and greets for $1,500 a year? It will be interesting to see if they release who the players are before the membership sale starts. I have a feeling you will see a number of walkons and 3rd stringers.
I'd rather they just get my money and focus on playing football, no strings attached.

Reactions: dbrocket

I think you're missing a zero. They're hoping to reach 2,000 members, which would be $400,000.

I could be wrong, but if the tailgates are game days in the fall wouldn't it just be NIL donors? The players are pretty busy on those days.
I get that, and a big tailgate with donors only could be fun. Maybe more so because no players feel like they have to be there. Maybe long after the game, after showers, meeting with coaches, when a player decides he wants a juicy cheeseburger.

I get that, and a big tailgate with donors only could be fun. Maybe more so because no players feel like they have to be there. Maybe long after the game, after showers, meeting with coaches, when a player decides he wants a juicy cheeseburger.
Stuffed with $100 slices of "lettuce".

As Blair said elsewhere, it's 2000 members not 200. So the dollar amount is $400,000. And I'm skeptical that they would really limit it to 2,000 members if more than that many people want to be a "member." If 2,500 people really want to be in, are they going to turn down that $$? Maybe. Saying something is limited to a small amount puts some urgency on the consumer to get it "while they can."

Others have questions about who is running the website/membership, managing the overhead for this. Free country, could be a player doing it or they could be paying someone to do it. None of my business really.

If it does bring in $400,000, that would work out to $4,700 or so per each of the 85 scholarship players. As a college student, that seems worth it for 1-2 meet/greets a year.

Reactions: reedsposer22
I'd rather they just get my money and focus on playing football, no strings attached.
The issue is that can't really pay them directly for playing at this point. There has to be a service or something of benefit provided by the player to get NIL money. But yes, if I'm giving NIL money I would rather it just go to players and not have them do anything for it other than just playing.

As Blair said elsewhere, it's 2000 members not 200. So the dollar amount is $400,000. And I'm skeptical that they would really limit it to 2,000 members if more than that many people want to be a "member." If 2,500 people really want to be in, are they going to turn down that $$? Maybe. Saying something is limited to a small amount puts some urgency on the consumer to get it "while they can."

Others have questions about who is running the website/membership, managing the overhead for this. Free country, could be a player doing it or they could be paying someone to do it. None of my business really.

If it does bring in $400,000, that would work out to $4,700 or so per each of the 85 scholarship players. As a college student, that seems worth it for 1-2 meet/greets a year.
I think the radio this morning said all players, so non scholly guys too. Thought they said 129 or 139 something like that.

I love it. To be honest, I have no interest in interacting with 17-22 year olds from any background, but I'm all for whatever it takes to get these players a piece of the pie that they bake every year. I'll happily send some money their way and just not bother showing up. Lol.
Feel free to send the 200.00 my way, I won't ask for you to show up either. ;)

You initially cap membership giving the sense of exclusivity, hoping to increase demand. Increase number if you hit 2000

Here's Iowa's:

THe NIL cost needs to be $500 a year to make it seem actually exclusive. $200 is too cheap, too many people will have access and cheapen the experience!

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2

They need to increase the PRICE ASAP and make it actually exclusive. This is LAME AS IS.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
^ This, exactly. Just let me spray cash at the boys so they can buy as many drinks as they want and take their girls out without stressing about money. Zero need for any reciprocation on their part.

I thought 2,000 was just an initial goal. It wouldn't surprise me to see tiers of memberships if demand far exceeded that.

The player led NIL has a member's only video conference tonight at 5pm. Interesting to see how that goes.

ADVERTISEMENT