ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City School District

Hawk_82

HR Heisman
Sep 17, 2006
Apparently they just voted to do online only school for the fall

Not sure how this will work.

Going to be a lot of that. The virus is virtually no threat to kids but it's going to take some brave teachers who are willing to stand up to the pressure of resisting in person instruction.

On the flip side, asking teachers to do hybrid, some at home some in class is too much to ask.

They really out-liberaled themselves this time; hard to do for the ICCSD but they did it.

Awful decision with the data that is out there. Families are going to be screwed and most importantly, the kids are going to suffer the most from this.
Lol. This is absolutely the right choice. You may be unaware, but we are going through a global pandemic right now and asking teachers and support staff to sit in a classroom for 8 hours with 25 kids is dumb as hell.

Our district hasn't finalized plans but it sounds like students won't go to class more than 2-3 days a week. The will provide internet for any families that don't already have it. Also, they will provide free daycare for families that need it.

Being able to read is going to be a lost art among the poor.

nothing says good education like a grade school kid expecting to learn via video.

good thing colleges are dropping ACT / SAT

it’s understandable. Less than a handful of deaths everyday. More than enough reason to flush a generation.

open enrollment options will be interesting.

Last edited:
Lol. This is absolutely the right choice. You may be unaware, but we are going through a global pandemic right now and asking teachers and support staff to sit in a classroom for 8 hours with 25 kids is dumb as hell.
Why don't the kids attend class in person, hire a 21 year old college education majors or substitute for the year and have the actual teacher zoom from home to a classroom full of kids? Sub can keep kids on task, hand out materials and run crowd control the real teacher can still teach.

Why don't the kids attend class in person, hire a 21 year old college education majors or substitute for the year and have the actual teacher zoom from home to a classroom full of kids? Sub can keep kids on task, hand out materials and run crowd control the real teacher can still teach.

Do you know what population has the largest positive tests in Iowa City right now? Young people in their 20’s. That young teacher tests positive and who is the sub? All the kids sent home for two weeks. They can’t even quarantine Iowa football players without multiple positive tests. How are they going to handle 100 young teachers spread across the district? Who pays them?

Yep, because that's the only possible way to conduct a semblance of in person school. :rolleyes:
If iccsd doesn't want any type of in person classes because of covid, they should forfeit their pay.
I can't not work bc I'm afraid of covid and expect to get paid and many work in higher risk fields than one with children who largely aren't affected or spread vectors.

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
What daycare is going to start serving 2nd graders? Daycares can barely survive on newborns and 2 year olds.
Our daycare is working on setting up space and support staff for elementary kids K-2 in their gym and media room. Pretty good thinking on their part. Mostly marketed towards the families with a younger one in the daycare.

I’m not going to pretend it’s easy. We have neighbors that are physicians and have toddler twins at home with a nanny that pretty much just does diapers, food and activities for the young ones. Not qualified to teach their oldest who’s a 1st grader.

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
Going to be a lot of that. The virus is virtually no threat to kids but it's going to take some brave teachers who are willing to stand up to the pressure of resisting in person instruction.

On the flip side, asking teachers to do hybrid, some at home some in class is too much to ask.
Liar. Kids do catch and die from it. Then infect others...who die.

Reactions: Niko13 and unIowa
Being able to read is going to be a lost art among the poor.

nothing says good education like a grade school kid expecting to learn via video.

good thing colleges are dropping ACT / SAT

it’s understandable. Less than a handful of deaths everyday. More than enough reason to flush a generation.

open enrollment options will be interesting.
Those handful of deaths a day aren't important. No point in trying to get that down to zero.

For those that are critical of this decision, it is certainly not straight forward. The data suggest that children are less likely to get the disease and seem less likely to transmit it, but there that doesn't mean it doesn't happen to a significant extent. Couple that with the difficulty in physical distancing while teaching and the intermingling of kids at school and it is a set up for spreading infections.

Most places that have safely had schools have been able to do so due to limited community spread. Since we haven't been able to achieve that, I don't necessarily blame school districts from going this route. With the amount of community spread going on, the teachers would certainly be at risk. I have said it before and will continue to say it, the quickest path to getting in-person schools safely going again is to control viral spread. That is to say we need to re-examine our priorities, close bars, limit restaurants to outdoor seating/take out, reinstitute regulations on size of gatherings, and give everyone masks/shields. By not doing that now we are decreasing the likelihood of in-person schooling and screwing over our kids. If you are curious what some experts have to say, here are a few examples (ps - I know some people here hate The WHO but you should listen to that short video:

Link to Infectious Disease Society of America's thoughts:

https://www.idsociety.org/news--pub...idence-based-decisions-on-school-re-openings/

I don't have a dog in this fight and don't know what the right answer is, but I sure hope they develop plans for both.

I realize the clock is running but things can still change one way or the other.

What's the point? You actually think that kids do not die from it. You think that kids don't pass it on. You're hopeless.
Link to your assertion that kids catch it, pass it on, and kill kids. It's simple you halfwit, back it up with a link. You said it, back it up. Or are you full of shitv( you are).

Liar. Kids do catch and die from it. Then infect others...who die.
Yes, there is a very small chance of that happening. Much higher percentage of kids will be abused at home than will get suck and not make a full recovery from coronavirus. The greater evil is allowing them to be abused.

Ok that part is debatable but you're steaming and I'm probably right so that's HROT. However this part is NO BS.

I was on a zoom call with 5 district superintendents tonight. 5 different states represented. They were discussing the mental toll being out of school was taking on their kids, and they were lamenting the fact that they were all beginning the year online because of the emotional toll on the kids. One guy nearly broke down as he told the story of a boy in his district who committed suicide back in April because his parents were abusive and he just couldn't handle being at home. A woman on the call chimed in right after and said they had 2 middle schoolers in their district take their own lives under similar circumstances.

Are we helping kids by keeping them home? Many will end up in daycare anyway when their parents have to go to work. Or worse, ignored by their parents working from home.

This isn't the black and white issue you think it is.

ADVERTISEMENT