ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City School District

So far my elementary aged student has met w/ her teacher for about 30minutes and was given a couple of tutorials to watch.

My HS student watched an orientation video at 10am and hasn't had any instruction yet.

Hoping for a very productive afternoon from both......

Hopefully the ruling against DMPS today, moves the heat from DM/Gov to IC School board - which is where it should have been all along.
Clearly you didn't go to dmps lmao

Well that is a parenting problem. All 3 of my boys went to KDG reading.

He isn’t expected to do that, his caregiver is. And that is the problem with primary grade online learning.
Don't be a douche. There is a difference between knowing some words vs being able to read and navigate apps and websites etc. My son knows words, but still functions as a kindergartner.

Unfortunately, my wife and I have to go to work. So my son is stuck trying to navigate online learning at daycare with 25 other kids and 3 teachers. They are really daycare workers and not trained teachers or computer experts. So I can hope and wish they do a good job, but I can not control what happens at school.

My only options are to find a different school or different daycare for him. None of which are good options.

My son is in kindergarten, it's a hot mess. He can't read, and has never used a laptop before 4 days ago.

Now he is expected to navigate websites and figure out 10 different apps, and has to load zoom meetings at specific times throughout the day. He can't even tell time and yet is expected to keep a schedule 50% of adults can't do.

It is very frustrating.. I am ready to send him back full time. And this is coming from someone good with computers and a parent who cares.
If I had a kindergartner theyd be a kindergartner next year ;)

If I had a kindergartner theyd be a kindergartner next year ;)

Yes....and No.
Not everyone wants to put their life on hold for a year+

Our kindergartener was CLEARLY ready to be done with daycare and be challenged by the next step.

Daycare had educational components, but nothing like a full day of kindergarten. Fortunately we are 100% in person for elementary

After one day I am ready for 100% in person. Lol. This PE teacher literally stopped giving kids feedback at 9:45 tonight on 2 different learning platforms. Basically that will be my evenings until we are done with hybrid.

Reactions: ghost80
Are you telling me that kids are wanting to communicate with their PE teacher, online, until 9:45 at night?

My son is in kindergarten, it's a hot mess. He can't read, and has never used a laptop before 4 days ago.

Now he is expected to navigate websites and figure out 10 different apps, and has to load zoom meetings at specific times throughout the day. He can't even tell time and yet is expected to keep a schedule 50% of adults can't do.

It is very frustrating.. I am ready to send him back full time. And this is coming from someone good with computers and a parent who cares.

My youngest is also in K this year. Here is what I'm doing so far. Look for READO bingo sheets. Print some off and have your kiddo do a few a day. Things like, say your ABCs, write your first name, find as many squares as you can in your house, etc. Once they complete the square have them color it in. Give them a little prize when the finish one. I also have a subscription to Epic Books and ABC Mouse which helps. I also have two 3rd graders with assignment boards to complete.

Daycare wanted to double my fee as the kids would be staying there more often with the hybrid approach. I told them I'd pay half of my normal fee for a "holding spot". We did this March - June and survived.

Best of luck!

My youngest is also in K this year. Here is what I'm doing so far. Look for READO bingo sheets. Print some off and have your kiddo do a few a day. Things like, say your ABCs, write your first name, find as many squares as you can in your house, etc. Once they complete the square have them color it in. Give them a little prize when the finish one. I also have a subscription to Epic Books and ABC Mouse which helps. I also have two 3rd graders with assignment boards to complete.

Daycare wanted to double my fee as the kids would be staying there more often with the hybrid approach. I told them I'd pay half of my normal fee for a "holding spot". We did this March - June and survived.

Best of luck!
Epic books is good. My youngest is in K and I'm damn glad we are full time back to school. He was so ready and all my kids are really enjoying school after such a along layoff. I hope it lasts.

Epic books is good. My youngest is in K and I'm damn glad we are full time back to school. He was so ready and all my kids are really enjoying school after such a along layoff. I hope it lasts.

Ours are hybrid which means 3 days remote/2 days onsite one week, 2 days remote/3 days onsite the next week. After a couple weeks they reassess. It's going to be bumpy but I'm thankful we're not full blown remote....yet. Yesterday began week 2

ICCSD is a joke and has been for some time. People need to take school board elections more seriously so we can have a well rounded representation.

We need better candidates - Someone who represents the "other" side. I thought Roesler might be the guy, but he seems to just follow along w/ all of the others.

Reactions: your_master5
Are you telling me that kids are wanting to communicate with their PE teacher, online, until 9:45 at night?
No. They are responding to the assignments because it is required learning. I am going through them all and commenting. 350 kids to touch base with on 2 different learning platforms. Though I was a little disturbed when a 1st grader posted a response video at 9:30. Go to bed!!

If this continues, PE should be among the first classes to go away. It's a waste of time with online school.
Bullshit. Sorry but you're going to touch a freaking nerve with this because it's what I do and I would like to think what I have been creating for kids is NOT a waste of time. I think what I teach is just as important as pretty much every subject other than Reading. Sorry...algebra isn't more important than health and PE.

Bullshit. Sorry but you're going to touch a freaking nerve with this because it's what I do and I would like to think what I have been creating for kids is NOT a waste of time. I think what I teach is just as important as pretty much every subject other than Reading. Sorry...algebra isn't more important than health and PE.

I agree with your overall point. I think PE and health studies sometimes gets that back seat to other traditional methods. I think the concern is the practicality of it translating in off site and non in person models compared to other courses.

Reactions: Pinehawk
When there is in person school it makes sense to get kids up and active.
When they are at home, doing online learning, PE does not translate and would be a very low priority to continue.
School districts should just offer PE waivers anyway if a kid is involved in any physical extra curricular activities.

When there is in person school it makes sense to get kids up and active.
When they are at home, doing online learning, PE does not translate and would be a very low priority to continue.
School districts should just offer PE waivers anyway if a kid is involved in any physical extra curricular activities.
Again. I don't agree with you at all. Low priority my ass. Go to Wal Mart and tell me PE shouldn't be a priority.

Again. I don't agree with you at all. Low priority my ass. Go to Wal Mart and tell me PE shouldn't be a priority.

I think they are saying it's a lower priority during this online learning BS. I don't completely disagree, but I also don't know what kinds of PE assignments are being done at home

Anyone with kindergarten kids here care to comment? During "rest/nap" in their classroom... Are they required to wear their mask.

Our school requires it and not sure that I like that. So far our kindergartener is ok with it, so not going to raise a fuss, unless it becomes an issue

That would seem to be more of an indictment of the current PE system. Not working too well you're saying?

Anyone with kindergarten kids here care to comment? During "rest/nap" in their classroom... Are they required to wear their mask.

Our school requires it and not sure that I like that. So far our kindergartener is ok with it, so not going to raise a fuss, unless it becomes an issue
K and 1st masks are recommended/ not required. I think most of them have been wearing them for the most part. Not sure about rest time. My kids have not complained about masks at all.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
That would seem to be more of an indictment of the current PE system. Not working too well you're saying?

0/10

FilthyShortCottontail-size_restricted.gif

Yup. IC is going to have a decision to make with the positivity rate dropping (which is a great thing
:)). If they want to keep 100% online......it will cost them not having the school time not count as well as sports.

Tough decision for the board...glad I'm not having to take that heat.
As far as I can tell our positivity rate is still over 30%. Do you have a link saying that it has dropped below the 15% threshold?

It's at 19.9% currently.
Over the next couple of days, the big spike will drop off the 14 day average, bringing it back below 15%.
(And, btw, whether you agree with her decision or not, the criteria was 15% AND 10% absenteeism.)

https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/percent-school-district-positive-analysis

Don't be surprised if Iowa City is granted another waiver. The last one was issued August 27. Which was 14 days ago. If they are issuing them two weeks out, IC could still get one.

Don't be surprised if Iowa City is granted another waiver. The last one was issued August 27. Which was 14 days ago. If they are issuing them two weeks out, IC could still get one.

Why would they get one? August 27th was three days into the big spike in the area. It made some sense at that time. But, positive case numbers in Johnson County have dropped precipitously since then, from 234 positive cases on 8/27 to just 18 on 9/7.

As far as I can tell our positivity rate is still over 30%. Do you have a link saying that it has dropped below the 15% threshold?
Reread. Never said that it had dropped below 15% only that it was dropping and in the future tense the school board will have a tough decision to make.

Reread. Never said that it had dropped below 15% only that it was dropping and in the future tense the school board will have a tough decision to make.
The decision has already been made. They are applying for another waiver according to the Press Citizen.

The decision has already been made. They are applying for another waiver according to the Press Citizen.

No, it said they are preparing one. Then they’ll decide what to do.
If we’re under 15% at that point, and we should be, then they would be wasting their time.

Reactions: ghost80
No, it said they are preparing one. Then they’ll decide what to do.
If we’re under 15% at that point, and we should be, then they would be wasting their time.
It's a big assumption to think we will keep going down. We were over 35%. Playing fast and loose could create another bloom quite easily. Plus we are intertwined with the university. If they go down, we go down.

Personally I am tired of people underestimating this virus

• Haha
We aren't supposed to peak until after November. By then they project over 3,000 deaths. The entire state had a positivity rate of 16% today. Believing that the numbers will go down isn't based on much evidence. Quite the opposite. We are still in the middle of the storm.

It's a big assumption to think we will keep going down. We were over 35%. Playing fast and loose could create another bloom quite easily. Plus we are intertwined with the university. If they go down, we go down.

Personally I am tired of people underestimating this virus

The spike was the outlier. And, the worst of it only lasted four days. We’re already back to the background number of cases that we saw all summer. They will likely go down. Based on the evidence we have from existing waves. Not some hypothetical model that is based on assumptions and variables that are changing everyday.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
The spike was the outlier. And, the worst of it only lasted four days. We’re already back to the background number of cases that we saw all summer. They will likely go down. Based on the evidence we have from existing waves. Not some hypothetical model that is based on assumptions and variables that are changing everyday.
We had a 16% positivity rate today and 12 more deaths. That qualifies for closures even on Reynold's hard to meet standards, at least for one day. That isn't background noise. Those are scary rates of positivity and deaths. Last year we had 99 deaths total from the flu. We hit that number weekly with covid. It is nothing to underestimate.

You talking all of Iowa? The positivity rates and resulting decisions are based on local school district conditions.

It doesn’t work to point to nursing home deaths in Sioux City to justify no school for kids in Iowa City.

Iowa City High, IC West and IC Liberty football teams all at home tonight watching other local teams play instead of playing themselves.
And, with the IC school board submitting another remote learning waiver, they won’t get to play again for at least another 3 weeks. Most of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT