ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City School District

Iowa City High, IC West and IC Liberty football teams all at home tonight watching other local teams play instead of playing themselves.
And, with the IC school board submitting another remote learning waiver, they won’t get to play again for at least another 3 weeks. Most of the season.

Does the board vote Tuesday? I assume it's a formality, but I'm surprised they aren't feeling the heat on getting back in school. The athletes turned out 2 weeks ago and it seemed to help. I'm not sure why there isn't any backlash against the board.

Iowa City school board has outsmarted itself. While everyone else is in school and competing in extra curriculars, we are stuck at home watching. The online learning experience was a complete waste of time last week. My 4th grader has a 20minute zoom call in the morning, then is essentially on her own the remainder of the day. NOT an ideal situation.

Reactions: your_master5
Not sure when the next vote is. People should show up.
ICCSD looks like the Big10 at this point, watching everyone else play successfully while they sit at home.
Show up for what? The meetings are all done over zoom and have space limitations.

Oh and another 800 cases and 8 dead today. Eff football. We have bigger worries.

Show up for what? The meetings are all done over zoom and have space limitations.

Oh and another 800 cases and 8 dead today. Eff football. We have bigger worries.

How many of those from Johnson County?
These are local decisions.

How many of those from Johnson County?
These are local decisions.
The whole state is a disaster. Our number of covid deaths is at over 1,200. We are in the NYT for our failure to contain it. Football should be the last thing on our minds.

Found the number. See why you didn’t want to highlight it.
Yesterday in Johnson County, 17 positive cases, 0 deaths.
County of 150,000.

Found the number. See why you didn’t want to highlight it.
Yesterday in Johnson County, 17 positive cases, 0 deaths.
County of 150,000.
A few weeks ago we had a 35% positivity rate. You honestly think we can't balloon back up there again?

Losing football sucks, but losing lives sucks way more. This virus is like being infested with roaches. Once you stop being vigilant, they pop up all over again.

That rate was from a four day period of an outbreak at the U of I. Which was not sustained.
it lasted four days. 17 cases yesterday.
Don’t penalize elementary and high school students for a situation out of their control and that didn’t affect them, and that has now passed three weeks ago.
The virus is not affecting young people in a statistically significant way.
Every other area school district is offering in person school and athletics successfully right now.

Isn't this evidence that online is working? No physical school and our rates drop.

There are thousands of kids in physical school right now in Johnson County at 5 area schools, plus the U of I.
The cases were never from kids aged 0-17. It was an outbreak among college kids returning to the area.
And, it lasted about a week.

Does the board vote Tuesday? I assume it's a formality, but I'm surprised they aren't feeling the heat on getting back in school. The athletes turned out 2 weeks ago and it seemed to help. I'm not sure why there isn't any backlash against the board.

Iowa City school board has outsmarted itself. While everyone else is in school and competing in extra curriculars, we are stuck at home watching. The online learning experience was a complete waste of time last week. My 4th grader has a 20minute zoom call in the morning, then is essentially on her own the remainder of the day. NOT an ideal situation.

The only way they vote to go back (even to a hybrid model) is the heat they are taking from parents in the district. If it was up to the board solely, they wouldn't be going back to school this year.

Actual clown show and there are a lot of people out there that are not happy right now. Not to mention, you are screwing up everyone's schedule from the UIHC and the UI down.

Iowa City School District back under the 15% positivity rate threshold at 12.3%.
Currently showing just 7 positive cases found yesterday.
County of 150,000.
https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/percent-school-district-positive-analysis

But, still three more weeks of online school only and no extra curricular activities for the Iowa City School District.

Whatever the board can do to virtue signal and try and hurt Trump is what they will do. They don't care about your kids, if they did, they would be at school.

Reactions: rolfey
Well that is a parenting problem. All 3 of my boys went to KDG reading.

He isn’t expected to do that, his caregiver is. And that is the problem with primary grade online learning.

Agree...we are full school where I am but my kids were good at online learning at the end of last year when they were home bc Mrs unIowa and me made sure they were good at it (however they are a bit older, only 1 elementary aged kid).

What IC schools should have done at the very least is used the middle and HS buildings/facilities to spread out the elementary aged kids through at least 6th grade.

Also online learning will have it's down points but it can be a really useful tool, it is just new to most so it will take longer to get off the ground (see Tom Brady as a Buc yesterday...it is going to take some time). Hopefully districts stop with snow days and just have everyone be online learners for the days that would have otherwise been canceled bc of weather events. This will make planning vacations and other extended events/activities for families much much easier. Can't tell you how many times we have had to make up time at the end of the school year, would really like to see that practice go away, having an online learning option makes that possible.

Agree...we are full school where I am but my kids were good at online learning at the end of last year when they were home bc Mrs unIowa and me made sure they were good at it (however they are a bit older, only 1 elementary aged kid).

What IC schools should have done at the very least is used the middle and HS buildings/facilities to spread out the elementary aged kids through at least 6th grade.

Also online learning will have it's down points but it can be a really useful tool, it is just new to most so it will take longer to get off the ground (see Tom Brady as a Buc yesterday...it is going to take some time). Hopefully districts stop with snow days and just have everyone be online learners for the days that would have otherwise been canceled bc of weather events. This will make planning vacations and other extended events/activities for families much much easier. Can't tell you how many times we have had to make up time at the end of the school year, would really like to see that practice go away, having an online learning option makes that possible.
We are doing that. All snow days are online learning days.

Reactions: unIowa
According to the social media I'm seeing it is. A lot of sad and unhappy kids and parents right now.
No it isn't. Hell, some of this is fake outrage anyway.

Here's a story from this morning. My boss was going back and forth with a parent on email this weekend about how much work his kids are expected to do for specials. It took his daughter 6 hours to do the work. I spent the early part of my day inviting EVERY student who hadn't joined my online classroom yet. What do I find? That parent's kid hadn't even JOINED my classroom. Or Music. She didn't even attempt the work. Dad was just lying about it for whatever reason. Lots of people are taking advantage of it and the kids are doing great and the feedback I am getting from the kids in my class, on face to face days, has been positive.

Parents are going to bitch if it's online or not. The 100% online people are complaining they don't have a PE offering. Hybrid are complaining it's too much work. We can't please everybody.

Keep telling yourself that and eventually someone might believe it.
That's what Republicans do...repeat the lie over and over and over and then people like you...dumb people...begin to believe it.

It isn't worthless. You're just wrong like you have been about any topic discussing education.

Online school is a complete joke.
I had low expectations for my 4th grade son's online portion of the year, but 2 20 minute zoom calls a day isn't cutting it.

My Freshman has had three classes go about 15 minutes of the full time allotted. One was "taught" by a paraeducator. Add that to the list of dropped zoom meetings, broken links, other technical 'glitches' etc.....

To say it's NOT been a joke is short-changing the kids.

Everything in the state is open (other than those businesses that are mandated closed) - How the ICCSD school board thinks it's still a good idea to keep kids out of school is beyond me. Of course, most of them don't actually have kids in school, so i'm sure they think everything is fine. As other districts begin their 5th week of in class learning, we're still stumbling through another week of online.

If you're a parent in the district, please e-mail the board, administration, and the governor/state DOE. Don't expect a response from any of them - most have their minds made up, but it's the only way they'll know we aren't happy.

*The teacher's i have interacted with are playing the hands they've been dealt - No hard feelings toward them. The system/process is broken which is no fault of their own.

I had low expectations for my 4th grade son's online portion of the year, but 2 20 minute zoom calls a day isn't cutting it.

My Freshman has had three classes go about 15 minutes of the full time allotted. One was "taught" by a paraeducator. Add that to the list of dropped zoom meetings, broken links, other technical 'glitches' etc.....

Everything in the state is open (other than those businesses that are mandated closed) - How the ICCSD school board thinks it's still a good idea to keep kids out of school is beyond me. Of course, most of them don't actually have kids in school, so i'm sure they think everything is fine. As other districts begin their 5th week of in class learning, we're still stumbling through another week of online.

If you're a parent in the district, please e-mail the board, administration, and the governor/state DOE. Don't expect a response from any of them - most have their minds made up, but it's the only way they'll know we aren't happy.

*The teacher's i have interacted with are playing the hands they've been dealt - No hard feelings toward them. The system/process is broken which is no fault of their own.

Summed up perfectly.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer 100% in person, but I think we are doing valid work to help the kids. I enjoy seeing the responses from our little ones using our online platform. Parents are mostly doing great getting the kids on there.

Then we have the ones that complain about anything we try to do. Hybrid learning isn't perfect but from my end, and how hard people are working to make it work, it isn't a complete joke like some are saying.

If you really preferred 100% in person, you wouldn't fight so hard against it here.
If you're telling the truth, contact the ICCSD Board and tell them you want 100 in person from a teacher's perspective.

Rd1SENh.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer 100% in person, but I think we are doing valid work to help the kids. I enjoy seeing the responses from our little ones using our online platform. Parents are mostly doing great getting the kids on there.

Then we have the ones that complain about anything we try to do. Hybrid learning isn't perfect but from my end, and how hard people are working to make it work, it isn't a complete joke like some are saying.
Our school did a couple weeks of hybrid. The online kids were online for 10-15 minutes in a hour and half class. Please tell me what they accomplished in those 10-15 minutes that benefited the kids. It doesn’t work well for many. Just because you have good stories, I commend you for making it work, doesn’t mean it works for most. Ours was possibly due to the fact they knew they would be back full-time soon so they just went through the motions. But if they have to go back to online then they better change things drastically or just take the year off.

Our school did a couple weeks of hybrid. The online kids were online for 10-15 minutes in a hour and half class. Please tell me what they accomplished in those 10-15 minutes that benefited the kids. It doesn’t work well for many. Just because you have good stories, I commend you for making it work, doesn’t mean it works for most. Ours was possibly due to the fact they knew they would be back full-time soon so they just went through the motions. But if they have to go back to online then they better change things drastically or just take the year off.
If this is true then either your district did a crap job setting this up, the parents "can't" make their kids get online and do work or a combo.

One of our teachers has all his kids in our school. The 6th grade girl spent 3 hours online doing work on Thursday and 3 more on Friday. Just a bit more than 15 minutes.

If this is true then either your district did a crap job setting this up, the parents "can't" make their kids get online and do work or a combo.

One of our teachers has all his kids in our school. The 6th grade girl spent 3 hours online doing work on Thursday and 3 more on Friday. Just a bit more than 15 minutes.

I think that kids who have parents that are accustom to working remote for their jobs do better with online learning bc the parents have a better understanding on how to make them successful in this sort of learning channel.

Those who are complaining the most likely wouldn't do well themselves working from a remote location. Good news for kids that master these skills is they will have a career choices/opportunities beyond that of most of their peers who are confined by their geography.

Reactions: Tom Paris
My son is doing fine with the 100% online learning so far, but schoolwork for him is probably a bit too easy and he's mature enough and disciplined enough to get his work done on his own. Most of his course load is through Kirkwood in AP classes anyway, so even if ICCSD goes to a hybrid model, he won't be in the school building much more than a couple of hours a day. It's his last year of HS, should have probably graduated early and done all college coursework this year as I think he's beyond prepared for it.

I do feel for families with young kids, they're the ones that will have real challenges keeping kids engaged and juggling schedules.

ADVERTISEMENT