ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City School District

Yep, and the trade off is not worth it right now because this current group of kids and the political environment is shit.. There are not enough teachers being newly minted to replace those in going into retirement and quitting. So a big bubble this fall would be devastating.

my district seems to get about 100 qualified applicants for every position.

This is a perfect example of why they need to go back. Are some kids and staff going to test positive - of course. Is it deadly enough to shut everything down - not even close. If that is the case, we will be shutting down from November to March every year for the flu season. Life comes with some inherent risks people. You cant put everyone in a bubble for the rest of time.
137,000 dead Americans....expected to be a quarter million by November 1.

You have no idea what I was doing.

And the online portion of last year didn't work very well because we had almost zero direction from school/state leaders. They basically said "hey, everything is online now and the kids don't have to do it, good luck!" I wonder why some teachers struggled with it. Crazy.
Not to mention...parents. It is crazy to me how many parents have told me they "couldn't get their kids to do any work online". So they gave up. Who the hell is in charge in these homes?

Reactions: bojihawk44
Seems logical. Ignore facts because you dislike who they come from.
Holy hell...Clay isn't spouting facts. He is another Republican idiot who downplayed this thing and continues to double down even though he was wrong.

It's been asked before, but why are they allowing football practice/workouts? I don't see any scenario that allows football, but not in-class schooling.

Also, there are several Art, PE, music teachers and librarians with salaries near or over 100k in the ICCSD - Is there any plan to furlough those under utilized employees to recover some funds?

Others have also mentioned seeing pictures of teachers at softball/baseball games, vacations, AAU tournaments, waterparks etc w/ no masks or distance.....yet school isn't safe.....They want their cake and eat it too. It's not a good look.

Not to mention...parents. It is crazy to me how many parents have told me they "couldn't get their kids to do any work online". So they gave up. Who the hell is in charge in these homes?
We have a new kill switch for the issue. All her devices online access shut off if homework isn't being worked on.

It's been asked before, but why are they allowing football practice/workouts? I don't see any scenario that allows football, but not in-class schooling.

Also, there are several Art, PE, music teachers and librarians with salaries near or over 100k in the ICCSD - Is there any plan to furlough those under utilized employees to recover some funds?

Others have also mentioned seeing pictures of teachers at softball/baseball games, vacations, AAU tournaments, waterparks etc w/ no masks or distance.....yet school isn't safe.....They want their cake and eat it too. It's not a good look.
Contacts are already out and signed for this year.

shit will hit fan if they think they can play this card next year.

might as well have canned videos created by state and end teaching for about 90% of the state’s teachers.

you don’t need hundreds of school districts for video teaching.

The standardized tests scores are going to crater. A good percentage of the kids will have done nothing for 18 months. Nobody will dare talk about holding kids back because the race/social economic card will be played instantly.

Reactions: Hawk_82

And the online portion of last year didn't work very well because we had almost zero direction from school/state leaders. They basically said "hey, everything is online now and the kids don't have to do it, good luck!" I wonder why some teachers struggled with it. Crazy.
Exactly this. It amazes me how people think “teachers have been off since March” dont understand “parents did an incredibly poor job of enforcing online learning at home”.

Contacts are already out and signed for this year.

shit will hit fan if they think they can play this card next year.

might as well have canned videos created by state and end teaching for about 90% of the state’s teachers.

you don’t need hundreds of school districts for video teaching.

The standardized tests scores are going to crater. A good percentage of the kids will have done nothing for 18 months. Nobody will dare talk about holding kids back because the race/social economic card will be played instantly.

That’s a good point. I’ve been an advocate of larger class rooms for years. I hope my children never get a minute of personal attention when they need a little help. Give more kids to less teaches,, seems like a win/win.

That’s a good point. I’ve been an advocate of larger class rooms for years. I hope my children never get a minute of personal attention when they need a little help. Give more kids to less teaches,, seems like a win/win.
If it’s all online the classroom can get no smaller.

this is how free college will work also. Give me three laptops and I could stream 3 things at once. There will be no tests because that’s racist.

Reactions: hexumhawk
This all cracks me up. When I complained about baseball being given a green light I was met with “it’s your choice to let your kids play, parenting is tough.” Where are all these people now? Guess what, it’s your choice whether to make your kids do their stuff or not. Parenting is tough!

Reactions: unIowa and Im4Iowa
This is a perfect example of why they need to go back. Are some kids and staff going to test positive - of course. Is it deadly enough to shut everything down - not even close. If that is the case, we will be shutting down from November to March every year for the flu season. Life comes with some inherent risks people. You cant put everyone in a bubble for the rest of time.

Correct. ^^ What is the criteria for ICCSD to reopen? No viruses in existence anywhere in the world? No deaths in Johnson County?

If we are going to shut schools down for what is present now, they will never open again.

I've seen several people say that cases are spiking in Johnson County. They are actually coming back down.
They spiked at the end of June, and have been coming down ever since.

https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/case-counts

Even when there is a vaccine, there will still be cases. At some point, we are going to have to get on with our lives and just take reasonable precautions.

Sir, unless I am confusing you with someone else with a very similar handle, we had a "conversation" a few months ago now here on HROT where you defended the practice of some of your fellow teachers for not teaching online during the COVID lockout since they were occupied with their own kids at home, etc.

So, while you personally may have maintained an active schedule, and I hope that you did, I know you know that many other teachers did NOT do so. The reasons "why" online schooling was not that productive last spring are many and varied...but some of them are as simple as some teachers chose not to extend themselves towards their students...while continuing to cash their paychecks.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Sir, unless I am confusing you with someone else with a very similar handle, we had a "conversation" a few months ago now here on HROT where you defended the practice of some of your fellow teachers for not teaching online during the COVID lockout since they were occupied with their own kids at home, etc.

So, while you personally may have maintained an active schedule, and I hope that you did, I know you know that many other teachers did NOT do so. The reasons "why" online schooling was not that productive last spring are many and varied...but some of them are as simple as some teachers chose not to extend themselves towards their students...while continuing to cash their paychecks.

No, I never defended teachers for not doing their job, which some undoubtedly did. Teaching is just like every other profession, there are some that are really good and some that are really bad. I don't understand why everyone expects every teacher to be really good at their jobs given every challenge they face, that's just dumb.

Some teachers, especially during the early stages of the pandemic had important things to cater to, like children and relatives. This is no different than others in different jobs. Many people's work suffered when we were going through those first couple of months and put into a situation we weren't prepared for and wanted no part of.

I'll defend some teachers for having more important priorities than posting something online at 8 AM everyday as some parents wanted, but I won't defend the ones who just gave up. Pretty big difference there.

No, I never defended teachers for not doing their job, which some undoubtedly did. Teaching is just like every other profession, there are some that are really good and some that are really bad. I don't understand why everyone expects every teacher to be really good at their jobs given every challenge they face, that's just dumb.

Some teachers, especially during the early stages of the pandemic had important things to cater to, like children and relatives. This is no different than others in different jobs. Many people's work suffered when we were going through those first couple of months and put into a situation we weren't prepared for and wanted no part of.

I'll defend some teachers for having more important priorities than posting something online at 8 AM everyday as some parents wanted, but I won't defend the ones who just gave up. Pretty big difference there.

Actually, yes, you did, multiple times. I just looked back at the thread in question.

In Johnson County the 0-17 age range represents 4% of the positive cases.
0 deaths in that age range I belive.

I want schools open as much as the next guy, but this argument is bogus unless you can post video evidence of those things occurring indoors for 7 hours at a time with the same group of people in a confined space.

Also, I don't think the teachers have much for final say in this matter. Place the blame on elected officials at all levels.

Reactions: unIowa

The only defense I'll give teachers for the late spring period was that everything happened so fast. Initially it was just going to be an extension of Spring Break. No one at first realized it would last the remainder of the school year. I think the ball was dropped in a lot of areas for that. Teachers could have done better, but direction from school/district/state level was very confusing as well.

Then they would be a massive outlier in Indiana. We are lucky to get 7-10 applicants and half those are pretty sad.
I’ve sat on various interview committees over the past 10 years and I’d say that is my experience in Iowa as well.

Reactions: gohawks50

You mean like the modern day Police officer?

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I want schools open as much as the next guy, but this argument is bogus unless you can post video evidence of those things occurring indoors for 7 hours at a time with the same group of people in a confined space.

Also, I don't think the teachers have much for final say in this matter. Place the blame on elected officials at all levels.

I have been indoors with kids and staff since mid March. Not one single problem.

The only defense I'll give teachers for the late spring period was that everything happened so fast. Initially it was just going to be an extension of Spring Break. No one at first realized it would last the remainder of the school year. I think the ball was dropped in a lot of areas for that. Teachers could have done better, but direction from school/district/state level was very confusing as well.

I totally agree with your sentiments above. My issue was with another poster who shared that some of his colleagues were not teaching since they had their own kids at home and that was then the priority over their job. The teachers CHOSE not to teach.

FWIW, I talked to a couple of teachers just last Friday from a district that I don't know much about and their story was that they went home for spring break and essentially never went back...and...weren't allowed back in. So their rooms, as far as they know, are still today prepped for the first day after spring break. Wild. Definitely way outside of their control and not at all their fault or doing.

While I acknowledged that there certainly could be valid "life situations" that would prevent someone from doing their job, especially during a pandemic/lockdown, whether a teacher or not, my point was that if a teacher chose not to teach because they had to take care of their own kids, mom, dad, whatever, then they should have taken a leave of absence or something...not just drop their teaching duties and collect their check

Reactions: Pinehawk
I’ve sat on various interview committees over the past 10 years and I’d say that is my experience in Iowa as well.

Curious...what area in Iowa? Rural, perhaps?

My understanding is that there are many quality candidates for most teaching jobs in the CR/IC region. Now that definitely changes if it is a specialty position as the quality applicants are much more scarce for those positions.

I totally agree with your sentiments above. My issue was with another poster who shared that some of his colleagues were not teaching since they had their own kids at home and that was then the priority over their job. The teachers CHOSE not to teach.

FWIW, I talked to a couple of teachers just last Friday from a district that I don't know much about and their story was that they went home for spring break and essentially never went back...and...weren't allowed back in. So their rooms, as far as they know, are still today prepped for the first day after spring break. Wild. Definitely way outside of their control and not at all their fault or doing.

While I acknowledged that there certainly could be valid "life situations" that would prevent someone from doing their job, especially during a pandemic/lockdown, whether a teacher or not, my point was that if a teacher chose not to teach because they had to take care of their own kids, mom, dad, whatever, then they should have taken a leave of absence or something...not just drop their teaching duties and collect their check

Sure, I don't disagree with that. For most teachers tho, I think it was as much a matter of chaos of the moment and many never really got fully sorted out, and by the time they did it was late april/may.

Hopefully whatever happens this fall goes much smoother than that.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT