ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City School District

Does anyone know what the viable options are for kids in the ICCSD?

1) Public online
2) Private school (Regina, Heritage Christian, etc)
3) Open enrollment to neighboring district
4) Are there any private online schools/academies?

I assume it's too late to open enroll to a neighboring district and it may be too late to get into Regina.

My thinking is if my kid is taking classes online, I should at least review option four - Take classes from someone who has experience teaching online.

Tell us why because less than 10% of those polled said they were uncomfortable the decision should be made to go online? 30% unsure. 58% were comfortable with in person.

58% comfortable was only part of their decision making equation. As has been mentioned numerous times in this thread alone, schools are thought of as daycares in our country. Of course most parents want schools to open in-person. Thankfully they also listened to medical experts and looked at the logistics of what that actually means. Iowa City won’t be the last school to go this route and I predict a lot of other schools will follow suit when they fail their opening guidelines a couple weeks into the year. I’m happy they made this decision now to give people plenty of time to plan.

Curious...what area in Iowa? Rural, perhaps?

My understanding is that there are many quality candidates for most teaching jobs in the CR/IC region. Now that definitely changes if it is a specialty position as the quality applicants are much more scarce for those positions.
20 mins from Iowa City, 35 from Cedar Rapids.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
58% comfortable was only part of their decision making equation. As has been mentioned numerous times in this thread alone, schools are thought of as daycares in our country. Of course most parents want schools to open in-person. Thankfully they also listened to medical experts and looked at the logistics of what that actually means. Iowa City won’t be the last school to go this route and I predict a lot of other schools will follow suit when they fail their opening guidelines a couple weeks into the year. I’m happy they made this decision now to give people plenty of time to plan.
Do you consider the American Academy of Pediatrics to be experts? CDC? Both said kids should be back in school.

State will override it. Won't happen to as districts can't create their own rules.

Gov Kim pushed personal responsibility and decision making during the roll-out of her reopening and that "Iowans had to make their own choices", are you saying she is going to reverse course on that now and finally wants to start making decisions?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Yes, there is a very small chance of that happening. Much higher percentage of kids will be abused at home than will get suck and not make a full recovery from coronavirus. The greater evil is allowing them to be abused.

Ok that part is debatable but you're steaming and I'm probably right so that's HROT. However this part is NO BS.

I was on a zoom call with 5 district superintendents tonight. 5 different states represented. They were discussing the mental toll being out of school was taking on their kids, and they were lamenting the fact that they were all beginning the year online because of the emotional toll on the kids. One guy nearly broke down as he told the story of a boy in his district who committed suicide back in April because his parents were abusive and he just couldn't handle being at home. A woman on the call chimed in right after and said they had 2 middle schoolers in their district take their own lives under similar circumstances.

Are we helping kids by keeping them home? Many will end up in daycare anyway when their parents have to go to work. Or worse, ignored by their parents working from home.

This isn't the black and white issue you think it is.

Do you think 14,000 more kids will commit suicide if they have to do online learning? How many will commit suicide if they find out they brought the virus home and it killed one or both of their parents?

I think too many people are uninformed and scared. You are right that people need to be responsible and help control the spread. Unfortunately you have too many people who refuse to do simple things like wear a mask.

I have continued to work at the hospital since the beginning of this. I have had several close co-workers who tested positive for covid. This was before masks and face shields were recommended. After the implementation of masks and face shields all spread at work has stopped. I have cared for patients who are Covid positive while simply using a mask and face shield without spreading covid.

My sons daycare has been open since the beginning of this, we had 1 teacher test positive and but did not have a single other kid or teacher test positive after exposure. They take temps every morning. They do not let any parents in the daycare, teachers all wear masks all day, they clean thoroughly at the end of every day and they wash hands frequently. Heck they even have my 5 year old practicing wearing a mask 6 hours out of the day.

School could reopen if they had teachers either stand behind a shield, wear a face shield, wear a mask or any combo of this. All students could wear masks or face shields. All I know is that if a daycare with 250 kids aging from 0-9 (counting before and after program) can successfully navigate this, I know the schools would be able to.

Correct but now we have mass community spread throughout many areas of the country AND we have a large segment of our society (many refer to these people as the MAGAs) that believes required mask wearing is infringing on their constitutional rights. These people are ruining any chance of a somewhat normal return this fall for kids and athletics.

no, we can’t all agree. I have seen few data points that make me worry about a bunch of people getting the virus.

if you are old, fat, or otherwise compromised, stay home. This hasn’t changed. This virus is not a problem for the great majority of society.

Around 65% of Americans are likely pre-diabetic, they just don't know it.

Well, I can tell you with 100% certainty someone I know tested positive end of last week, and was at a game tonight. His wife also tested positive and was shopping at Walmart. These are the types of people, and there are many like them, that will cause exposure in schools. I haven't seen a 100% stop to the virus yet, outside of staying home. So, as a mitigation effort, ICCSD is keeping people away from a tinderbox of school buildings to protect students and staff a like.

WOW but sadly it doesn't surprise me. hell my guess is this represents 30%+ of our society.

Reactions: TailgateTom
The trailer trash and inner city poor went from a small chance of a future to zero in one school board meeting.

all because 4-5 old fat people in Iowa are dying every day that already outlived their life expectancy.

137k dead in America, likely will more than double by years end and this is the response you give...wow.

Reactions: bojihawk44
You have no idea what I was doing.

And the online portion of last year didn't work very well because we had almost zero direction from school/state leaders. They basically said "hey, everything is online now and the kids don't have to do it, good luck!" I wonder why some teachers struggled with it. Crazy.

My wife, HS counselor of large school district, worked harder and more hours during the shutdown than she did through the other parts of the school year. Some teachers certainly slacked off but others got very creative and did a wonderful job considering the lack of tools they had available to them to be effective in that sort of setting.

LOL...he is in full confirmation bias mode. You could hit him over the head all day with stories like these and he won't care, he only sees what he wants to see.
I gotta stop getting pissed off at the level of willful ignorance. I still struggle with believing MAGAs will stick with Trump no matter what and never go against what he says. At some point they have to say, "Yeah, that's a bad idea." It's bananas.

Reactions: unIowa
Another thing to think about if early data is correct is the long term med issues from Covid. How many kids will have decades of lung and kidney issues? Sure they are not dieing

These people don't care, they don't care about anyone other than themselves and they can't think past their wallet. Don't give me your job sob story either, bootstraps my Trumper friends...get pulling those bootstraps.

It's not all about feeling safe--it's about having enough staff to teach. With an already depleted sub list, how does everyone expect schools will function with staff staying home two weeks in quarantine, and no subs to pick up the jobs? Both certified and non-certified?

Not to mention most schools give around 10 sick days per year to their staff so now they will have to use those due to C19 exposure and then the second time they are exposed they will be unpaid. If I am a teacher and in the teachers union there are three/four maybe 5 things I go after hard in order to return to the classroom in this environment.

1. $1mm life insurance policy paid for by the district added to the benefits plan with a $500k spouse rider (if you take this bug home to your spouse and they pass away bc of it that will hurt financial thus the ask).
2. Guarenteed 100% paid leave for days missed do to C19 exposure that forces them out of the classroom (sick or not sick).
3. Zero medical deductibles for any medical costs that are bc of C19.
4. Mandatory the county where your school district resides is in the original Phase 3 of reopening that was presented in late April by the CDC/White House.

5. Weekly C19 testing for teachers and twice per month testing for students. (may not be feasible as it sounds like tests are in short supply once again bc of our now 2-3 week spike in cases throughout the country.

They could cut a couple of admins jobs throughout the district to get most of this paid for.

Reactions: artradley
Does anyone know what the viable options are for kids in the ICCSD?

1) Public online
2) Private school (Regina, Heritage Christian, etc)
3) Open enrollment to neighboring district
4) Are there any private online schools/academies?

I assume it's too late to open enroll to a neighboring district and it may be too late to get into Regina.

My thinking is if my kid is taking classes online, I should at least review option four - Take classes from someone who has experience teaching online.

It's not too late to get into Regina. It has been great for our family. Great academics, athletics and community support.

Not to mention most schools give around 10 sick days per year to their staff so now they will have to use those due to C19 exposure and then the second time they are exposed they will be unpaid.

Technically FFCRA will cover the first 80 hours (10 days) out. Then current sick days, then accrued sick days, then sick bank (assuming the school has one), then unpaid days.

But, yes there are many young teachers who will run out of sick days.

Exactly this. It amazes me how people think “teachers have been off since March” dont understand “parents did an incredibly poor job of enforcing online learning at home”.
How many of these useless parents (in your not so humble opinion) received a property tax rebate for essentially becoming substitute teachers?

How many of them were already busy dealing with the heavy hand of the state destroying their livelihoods while also trying to juggle their newfound occupation of daycare provider/teacher?

How many of them lost their jobs so arrogantly and ignorantly deemed ‘inessential’ by the governor?

The schools should be open for business next month and Reynolds should withhold aid from any district that refuses: might go a long way towards redeeming her prior screwups.

Not to mention most schools give around 10 sick days per year to their staff so now they will have to use those due to C19 exposure and then the second time they are exposed they will be unpaid. If I am a teacher and in the teachers union there are three/four maybe 5 things I go after hard in order to return to the classroom in this environment.

1. $1mm life insurance policy paid for by the district added to the benefits plan with a $500k spouse rider (if you take this bug home to your spouse and they pass away bc of it that will hurt financial thus the ask).
2. Guarenteed 100% paid leave for days missed do to C19 exposure that forces them out of the classroom (sick or not sick).
4. Mandatory the county where your school district resides is in the original Phase 3 of reopening that was presented in late April by the CDC/White House.

5. Weekly C19 testing for teachers and twice per month testing for students. (may not be feasible as it sounds like tests are in short supply once again bc of our now 2-3 week spike in cases throughout the country.

They could cut a couple of admins jobs throughout the district to get most of this paid for.
all paid by the public that gets none of it.

like farmers, media says they are hero’s.

Reactions: hexumhawk

The relevant medical experts said more harm will be done by NOT having in person school. But because that isn’t what the panic stricken want to hear, those experts are ignored.

4. Mandatory the county schools where your school district resides is in the original Phase 3 of reopening that was presented in late April by the CDC/White House.

Congress could help here.

The relevant medical experts said more harm will be done by NOT having in person school. But because that isn’t what the panic stricken want to hear, those experts are ignored.

That’s not true. Go read their update/clarification after morons interpreted their original recommendation the same way you did.

That’s not true. Go read their update/clarification after morons interpreted their original recommendation the same way you did.

You are stupid.

It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person. It’s impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

btw, the NYT, NPR, and virtually everyone in the Fn country interpreted their statement in the very clear way it was written- that schools should open. Morons all, right?

Last edited:
You are stupid.

It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person. It’s impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

Lets make a deal. After you read their latest statement and it proves that I’m correct. You agree that you heard the interpretation of their recommendation on Fox News or at the local Caseys and don’t post in a thread about covid again. Deal?

Lets make a deal. After you read their latest statement and it proves that I’m correct. You agree that you heard the interpretation of their recommendation on Fox News or at the local Caseys and don’t post in a thread about covid again. Deal?

I saw the headline in the NYT the read the whole damn statement, you dipshit. Always go to the source material.

I then posted a link to the statement on HROT.

That they have somewhat walked it back is 100% due to political backlash.

I saw the headline in the NYT the read the whole damn statement, you dipshit. Always go to the source material.

I then posted a link to the statement on HROT.

That they have somewhat walked it back is 100% due to political backlash.

Lol. They have “somewhat walked it back”. No you moron, they had to type slower so idiots like yourself would understand. Run along now. It’s almost time to brush your teeth and get ready for bed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT