ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa commit Cassioppi dominates in preseason tournament

this kid is the REAL DEAL... he only has room to grow and with the workout partners in the Hawkeye room he will be force to be reckoned with. You just dont see many heavyweights with his size move laterally and maintain balance like he does. He is very agile and is always on the attack...a GREAT FIT for that IOWA ATTACKING STYLE.

Cass is going to be a really exciting Hawk to watch. He's a pretty quick and athletic Hawk that pushes the pace. We've had a good string of solid Heavies since Mocco and Cass will keep that tradition going. He's going to have a great workout partner in Costello as well. Love what I've been hearing about him as well

Looks like the Hawks have got a really good heavy to take over when Sam is done... I am really pulling for Sam to make his mark this year but its good to have another great recruit Like Cassioppi to anchor the team
Does anyone know the status on Stoll's recovery or when he will be back? Also, is there any chance he comes back during the first half of the season?

Does anyone remember a stretch with so many high end 285 recruits? As good as Cassioppi is, there are still quite a few guys within a year of him ranked higher. Even crazier, most, if not all, will end up in the B1G.

2017: Singletary(tOSU), Hilger(Wisconsin)
2018: Steveson(Minnesota), Parris(Michigan lean), Nevills(PSU)
2019: Schultz(?), Kerkvliet(Minnesota)

Does anyone remember a stretch with so many high end 285 recruits? As good as Cassioppi is, there are still quite a few guys within a year of him ranked higher. Even crazier, most, if not all, will end up in the B1G.

There may be something to this, but one could also argue that recently the rankers have done a better job recognizing how difficult it is to find good heavies and this has pushed their value higher up on the recruiting boards.

There may be something to this, but one could also argue that recently the rankers have done a better job recognizing how difficult it is to find good heavies and this has pushed their value higher up on the recruiting boards.

rolling-eyes.jpg

Can Sorensen beat Retherford? Probably everyone but Retherford.
Can Kemerer beat Nolf? Probably everyone but Nolf.

Obviously hoping Kemerer and Sorensen shock the world this year. They're obviously underdogs, but I wouldn't be completely shocked (only pleasantly surprised, if there's a difference) if one or both pulled it off this year. Also hoping Cass gets it done against Steveson down the road.

By the way. . . Can Steve Marianetti beat Lincoln McIlravy? Probably everyone but McIlravy.:(

Upsets happen. Why not our guys? You know they're doing all they can to get there.

HS football participation numbers have been declining and it looks to continue that way. I wonder if more athletic big guys are now looking at wrestling over football as a more viable option.

I really like Cass I have been following him since before he committed to Northwestern. I think he has a very high ceiling. That said the heavyweight world is just so stacked right now that it is hard to pencil him into the top tier. I think he will get there, but he does not have the same polish and by that I mean the ready to compete at the highest level straight out of High School ala Mocco or Synder, as Gable Stevenson and Nevils possess. And I also do not think his ceiling is quit as high as Parris, Singletary, Kerkvliet (who I believe ends up at heavyweight), or Schultz. However, those last four may not be able to add the necessary strength to handle the grind and strength of full sized heavyweights which Cass will be. Although, I wouldn't bet against it.

I do however think Cass will be a tier above the Jordan Woods, Shawn Streck, Matt Stencel, Noah Adams, Jared Campbell, Trent Hillger and Brandon Metz level guys who are all potential mid level AA's eventually.

So basically I see Cass as a Sam Stoll repeat, which is nothing to sneeze at, but honestly I don't think he will ever be an NCAA Champion. However, a multi time AA, who could finish as high as 3rd is very helpful to the team race cause. I agree with those who think this is an exceptionally deep heavyweight class for a little stretch of time here. I think it is purely cyclical however and will be a very shallow weight again in due time. In many years a guy like Cass would've been a consensus #1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT