ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Iowa fans step up to help Hawkeye Wrestling Club

Apr 8, 2003
Iowa fans step up to help Hawkeye Wrestling Club
Tom Kakert | Editor

nmvgcw70pkzodsmnizcn

Tom Brands has been blown away by the support from Iowa wrestling fans.
University of Iowa

The best ideas sometimes come from the most unexpected places.

They come from simple conversations between people and they lead to much bigger things.

In the case of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club, a few posts from HWC board member Randy Novak on the Hawkeye Report Wrestling Forum, led to a huge fundraising windfall.

Let’s face it, Iowa wrestling fans had become more than a little frustrated. The Hawkeyes traditional place at the top the NCAA standings was gone and taken by Big Ten rival Penn State. Then you throw in that Iowa State hired away Hawkeye legend Brent Metcalf away from Iowa in early April and the sting became too much.

Novak jumped on the wrestling forum basically to provide an education of sorts about the challenges facing the Hawkeye Wrestling Club.

“I saw some of the things people were saying and I wanted to address some of the challenges that the club had faced. That led into a few fans saying that if that was the case, then we should start raising some money.”

And that got the ball rolling…and rolling...and rolling.

The Hawkeye Wrestling Club has been around since 1973, providing funding for Iowa wrestlers to pursue their dreams. Its core mission is to provide the training, coaching, and resources necessary for athletes to chase their dream of becoming Olympic and World Championships. No club has done a better job than the Iowa’s, resulting in 14 Olympians, including 4 gold medal winning performers.

“The more money we can raise for the Hawkeye Wrestling Club, means more elite coaches and athletes. If you look at what has happened with our light weight guys the past few years, they have had Tom and Terry Brands to work out with. They have had Dan Dennis to work out with. They have had Matt McDonough to work out with every day. If we have those elite guys to work out with, you see the kind of success those wrestlers have had,” Novak said.

Other schools have essentially copied Iowa’s formula for success and built something bigger and attracted the top talent to train in their facilities.

“We have always known that we needed to spend money to get good athletes to stay here or come here and we have done that with a guy like Dan Dennis, who went to the Olympics.”

More was needed. During the conversations that took place on the wrestling forum, Novak explained what the Hawkeye Wrestling Club does, the importance of it, and the costs involved. The intent wasn’t to beg for money. Far from it actually. It was simply to educate the loyal Iowa fans and honestly, improve their own messaging of their mission.

“I think the average fan didn’t realize that the Hawkeye Wrestling Club was a non-profit. The average fan didn’t realize that we take the money and pay the living expenses of wrestlers, so they don’t have to work two or three jobs so they can focus on their training. The average fan didn’t realize that when these guys go to a tournament, whether it’s in the United States of overseas, we pick up their airfare, hotel, and expenses and that stuff costs a lot of money,” Novak said. “I think they just thought Hawkeye wrestling has a great fanbase and we had a lot of money. Shame on us for not getting the message out earlier.”

While the Hawkeye Wrestling Club wasn’t low on money, it could always do better in providing the services needed to attract the best athletes to train in Iowa City. After the message board discussions, Iowa wrestling fans wanted to step up and Novak started a thread simply linking to their donation page and set what seemed like a lofty goal of raising $100,000.

The post was made on April 1st and one month later, the goal was met and surpassed. As of today, Iowa fans have raised almost $125,000 and that number is still growing.

“I am blown away and the coaching staff is blown away,” he said. “Our coaches don’t read the forums, but when someone donates at this level, they notice. It’s surprising, it’s appreciated, and it’s very genuine from the Iowa fans. They really want to help and now that they understand it, they keep doing it.”

The exchange of ideas led to another big fundraising idea, a dinner for four with Tom Brands. That was put up for auction and raised $10,000 for a once in a lifetime opportunity.

“A lot of great ideas came directly from the fans and this was one of them and Tom was completely supportive of it.”

There’s no doubt that the bump in fundraising has already led to a significant addition to the Hawkeye Wrestling Club. Former Hawk Mark Perry announced this week that he was leaving his positon as an assistant at the University of Illinois and will oversee elite athlete development for the Hawkeye Wrestling Club.

“This wasn’t the plan from the perspective of the club to go to the message boards and raise money. We are just here to provide the resources necessary and the coaches actually do the hiring. We have the best fanbase, so it makes sense to leverage it and give our coaches the tools and the resources to have the best program in the country and I think you are seeing some of that with the hiring of Mark Perry.”

Novak says the goal is to build the best wrestling club, not only in the country, but the world and they are well on their way to doing just that. The next step will be fundraising on the University of Iowa side of the equation to build a separate wrestling only facility to match what other high level programs have or are in the process of doing.

As the legendary Dan Gable has said many times, “Never accept not being the best,” and that has been and always will be the goal for the Hawkeye Wrestling Club and the Iowa wrestling program. They are on their way to doing just that, thanks to the support of Iowa fans.

The Hawkeye Wrestling Club will hold their annual banquet on Friday night in Cedar Rapids at the Kirkwood Conference Center. Doors open at 5 pm with dinner beginning at 7 pm. Tom Brands will be there to speak and it will be the first time that Mark Perry will be there in his new role. Tickets are still available and you can go to www.hwcbanquet.com for more details. If you can’t make it and would like to donate to help grow the Hawkeye Wrestling Club, visit www.hwcdonor.com or the Hawkeye Wrestling Club web site, www.hawkeyewrestlingclub.com

Happy to be a part of this grass roots movement. The snowball has been formed and we are standing at the top of the mountain. All that is left is that little push...
Was it @pinters that started the snowball effect? It's incredible reading through that thread and just seeing the momentum start to build.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/hwc-124-880-05-raised-goal-100k.186609/

pinters
HR All-State

Match me

Hawkeye Wrestling Club Donation Receipt

Donor Contribution : $30.00
Payment Method : Online Transaction

Thank you for your donation. This will serve as your 501C3 receipt.

Filled : Wed, 05 Apr 17 18:37:15 -0500

If 25 matches of at least $20 we will drop another $100.
Saul Good
Go Current Hawkeyes

It was,
Was it @pinters that started the snowball effect? It's incredible reading through that thread and just seeing the momentum start to build.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/hwc-124-880-05-raised-goal-100k.186609/

pinters
HR All-State

Match me

Hawkeye Wrestling Club Donation Receipt

Donor Contribution : $30.00
Payment Method : Online Transaction

Thank you for your donation. This will serve as your 501C3 receipt.

Filled : Wed, 05 Apr 17 18:37:15 -0500

If 25 matches of at least $20 we will drop another $100.
Saul Good
Go Current Hawkeyes

you would be correct...he would be the original "snowflake" as it were...

Glad to be able to do what I can to help in this great project. I pray that I may live long enough to see the new facility..Lets keep the snowball rowing..

Amen, bruddah…

Btw, WTF are you guys doing with snowballs up nort' now?:D

the mentions are great and the fact that tom is so thankful to us,i love it, but that is not our motivation(at least not mine)we want to help provide these guys with the tools they need to be successful and if others want to give us an atta boy that's just gravy.yes pinters threw out a challenge he like the rest of us want this thing to turn back around.proud of him, proud of wwwwdm,proud of day1,mr nichols mr novack and so many more,even proud of myself a little. this is the most inspired i've been for a while.wish i could be with you guys this weekend, but dr. has me on new medication and long periods away from home would be difficult.

the mentions are great and the fact that tom is so thankful to us,i love it, but that is not our motivation(at least not mine)we want to help provide these guys with the tools they need to be successful and if others want to give us an atta boy that's just gravy.yes pinters threw out a challenge he like the rest of us want this thing to turn back around.proud of him, proud of wwwwdm,proud of day1,mr nichols mr novack and so many more,even proud of myself a little. this is the most inspired i've been for a while.wish i could be with you guys this weekend, but dr. has me on new medication and long periods away from home would be difficult.
That's actually beautiful, wasdt. You captured exactly why we're doing this and exactly why it's so inspiring to us all. It's a beautiful thing when people pull together to accomplish something big together. In this world filled with lots of ugliness, hate, violence, etc., it's great to do something beautiful as one big, happy family. Love it!

That's actually beautiful, wasdt. You captured exactly why we're doing this and exactly why it's so inspiring to us all. It's a beautiful thing when people pull together to accomplish something big together. In this world filled with lots of ugliness, hate, violence, etc., it's great to do something beautiful as one big, happy cesspool. Love it!

FIFY

Totally! Jack, maybe that can be your mission -- to get the Lounge energized! This Iowa wrestling thing is contagious. . . .

There have been a few donations on the Lounge thread, but think they are from wrestling board members trying to get the Lounge members excited. It is in the thread like this one with the article and I think many may not be following it.

I think maybe we need a challenge for them to raise x% of what the wrestling board is. Maybe 10%?

Title a new thread labeled "HR wrestling board challenge for the Lounge" or something like that to get some views and donations. They are a paying raucous crowd, so maybe even throw in an insult like most here don't think they can even muster 10% of what the much smaller wrestling board can. Include a short history of the movement and links to donate or have monthly recurring donations.

Start it with a $50 donation and, of course, MATCH ME.

Thoughts?

I've posted in the lounge a few times Jackhawk87. Jump in to help me out. I don't want to be a broken record!

Not sure anyone is opening that thread. Going to require some psychology to get them motivated and into the challenge of making Iowa Great Again! Many are the ones who come and complain about Iowa not winning championships after Nationals. If they understood the need for $, that $ got Perry back, that $ will get better wrestlers in the HWC and will attract better HS wrestlers to Iowa and get us back on top, they might just jump on board. That thread isn't going to do that - I appreciate what you are trying to do over there, but I just think we will need a well thought out plan/strategy and a convincing new thread to get them involved.

Not sure anyone is opening that thread. Going to require some psychology to get them motivated and into the challenge of making Iowa Great Again! Many are the ones who come and complain about Iowa not winning championships after Nationals. If they understood the need for $, that $ got Perry back, that $ will get better wrestlers in the HWC and will attract better HS wrestlers to Iowa and get us back on top, they might just jump on board. That thread isn't going to do that - I appreciate what you are trying to do over there, but I just think we will need a well thought out plan/strategy and a convincing new thread to get them involved.
Tell the MSTP guy that came over here throwing everyone under the bus after the Penn State dual to donate. MSTP stands for medical scientist training program, so he is probably an MD/PhD with some money. Tell him to put his money where his mouth is.

So what are you thinking??

So what are you thinking??

Famous last words….:D

I can help.....

Another hour or so and I will be off the road. Working some long hours the last couple weeks and have a working weekend.

How many of you are Lounge members that can jump in with comments after I get this done?

Gonna put it on the football board to

Mike

I can help.....

Another hour or so and I will be off the road. Working some long hours the last couple weeks and have a working weekend.

How many of you are Lounge members that can jump in with comments after I get this done?

Mike

What are you thinking? There hasn't been much of a response from them today.

Reactions: HawkFT
I can help.....

Mike

What are you thinking? There hasn't been much of a response from them today.

You been posting in the article thread? I did a quick courtesy look and didn't see a separate thread title so kind of assuming that's the case. I'm going to start a separate thread all its own, do a lead in a little bit....

Z

Reactions: DirkTang1
The thread title in the Lounge isn't as obvious as the wrestling board title. I think if you create a title similar to the wrestling board title you will start to get more traction. People need to see that obvious thread title at the top of the forum all day long!

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
You been posting in the article thread? I did a quick courtesy look and didn't see a separate thread title so kind of assuming that's the case. I'm going to start a separate thread all its own, do a lead in a little bit....

Z

I've just been posting in Blair's article.

The thread title in the Lounge isn't as obvious as the wrestling board title. I think if you create a title similar to the wrestling board title you will start to get more traction. People need to see that obvious thread title at the top of the forum all day long!

Yeah, I was just looking at that thread. First off I think I can pin it. Second there's been some decent conversation just maybe need to tweak it a little bit to get more people interested. Unfortunately not everybody is as fired up about wrestling as Those that frequent the wrestling board.

See I have about 30 more minutes of windshield time and then I'll take a look at it on my laptop

Z

Shocking that there is little to no traction with it over there, or just needs time to build. It is a SLOW time of year so may not be a lot of people engaged. Need to keep testing and see what works. I say give it a few more days and then plan b with new title. "Help Hawkeye Wrestling Raise 10K"---

I know right? You would think a few members wouldn't think anything of it. I think you are right. We need to set a goal.

I have it pinned to the top of the Lounge, Football and Basketball boards. I put together my own post, feel free to jump in and add to the conversation.

I'd love to see this get to 150K by the end of the month. Momentum has slowed somewhat, and I think there is only just so much blood you can get from a little message board, but...........

If we can get folks to do the monthly donation option, and we can make them aware of the Amazon Smile option, in addition to a one time donation, we can make an annual dent that will be far greater in long term. Hope that helps.

Mike

I know right? You would think a few members wouldn't think anything of it. I think you are right. We need to set a goal.

People who have already donated might also be lounge members. Pretty unlikely that a hard core Iowa wrestling fan only hangs out in the Lounge and doesn't venture to this board.

Reactions: DirkTang1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT