ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa finished 3 at Fargo

Not bad showing for Iowa to finish third at Fargo. It’s surprising how iowa finished since the state is so low in talent. I believe there is plenty of talent in the state and only hope the best for the Iowa kids in college. Good job guys and coaches keep up the good work.
Yes that is an impressive showing. It seems they had a lot of high end talent but not the depth to win it. They had a first and a second and 3 thirds if I remember correctly. I can't pull up the flo results for some reason. Nice tourney though to say the least. It has been a while since Iowa was that high at Fargo. I love the Midwest representation. Iowa, Minny, Illinois, and Wiscy all had pretty good tourneys in both Cadet and Juniors.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Yes that is an impressive showing. It seems they had a lot of high end talent but not the depth to win it. They had a first and a second and 3 thirds if I remember correctly. I can't pull up the flo results for some reason. Nice tourney though to say the least. It has been a while since Iowa was that high at Fargo. I love the Midwest representation. Iowa, Minny, Illinois, and Wiscy all had pretty good tourneys in both Cadet and Juniors.

Speaking of Wisconsin, a lot of good wrestlers from that state. I watched the kid at 103 who beat Ayala and he is like a mini Randy Lewis. Gets in all of theses weird positions where the opponent is going to score and he reaches back throws kids for 4.

I'm not the expert on individual talent in Iowa but on a broader, more general level, finishing 3rd doesn't necessarily mean Iowa is full of high end talent. As we have seen, having a bunch of good or very good wrestlers doesn't win a national team title. You need to have some greats as well.

Now, if the argument is that starting with a good base of instate talent is a good place to begin, no argument there. I'm not sure anyone has ever claimed Iowa is barren of good wrestlers.

PLACE TEAM POINTS CH CONS 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1 Illinois 95 - - 4 4 1 3 - 1 4 3
2 Ohio 62 - - 3 1 2 1 - 4 - 2
3 Iowa 61 - - 1 2 3 2 - 2 2 1
4 Pennsylvania 35 - - 1 - 1 2 2 - 1 1
5 Wisconsin 34 - - 2 - 1 - 3 - - -
6 New Jersey 31 - - 2 - - 2 - 1 1 -
7 Oklahoma 30 - - - 2 1 - 1 1 1 1
8 Indiana 24 - - 2 - 1 - - - 1 -
9 Minnesota 20 - - - 1 1 - - 2 - 1
10 California 19 - - - 1 1 - 1 - - 2
11 North Dakota

Not to be a Debbie Downer but placing third doesn't really mean much. There's a ton of talented kids that don't make the trip to North Dakota.

PLACE TEAM POINTS CH CONS 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1 Illinois 95 - - 4 4 1 3 - 1 4 3
2 Ohio 62 - - 3 1 2 1 - 4 - 2
3 Iowa 61 - - 1 2 3 2 - 2 2 1
4 Pennsylvania 35 - - 1 - 1 2 2 - 1 1
5 Wisconsin 34 - - 2 - 1 - 3 - - -
6 New Jersey 31 - - 2 - - 2 - 1 1 -
7 Oklahoma 30 - - - 2 1 - 1 1 1 1
8 Indiana 24 - - 2 - 1 - - - 1 -
9 Minnesota 20 - - - 1 1 - - 2 - 1
10 California 19 - - - 1 1 - 1 - - 2
11 North Dakota

And a distant 4th? Pennsylvania. How often has this happened? Maybe more than I recall

Traveling duration and $$$ is always an issue for states out east. Imagine how Iowa would do if they had travel to VT or NH

I just wanted to show the board that Iowa is still top state when it comes to wrestling. Illinois wins Fargo in both styles and divisions and what do they have to show for it when it comes to college wrestling? I agree to win national title you need to get the top wrestlers. There is only handful of wrestlers every year that are game changers like lee and warner. After that you can’t predict what’s going to happen with these young wrestlers. Nelson Brands is perfect example of how mess up ranking are. I can see there being 11 guys better than him. I’m fan of Iowa high school wrestling and like to watch the young men in college. It’s nice to see Iowa had to Fargo AA and yes one form Illinois. Iowa state had Fargo champ and runner up. Uni had three Fargo AA. I don’t know if Iowa can take the top spot again but I like it when Iowa is in the top 5 it helps all the colleges in the state of Iowa

I just wanted to show the board that Iowa is still top state when it comes to wrestling. Illinois wins Fargo in both styles and divisions and what do they have to show for it when it comes to college wrestling? I agree to win national title you need to get the top wrestlers. There is only handful of wrestlers every year that are game changers like lee and warner. After that you can’t predict what’s going to happen with these young wrestlers. Nelson Brands is perfect example of how mess up ranking are. I can see there being 11 guys better than him. I’m fan of Iowa high school wrestling and like to watch the young men in college. It’s nice to see Iowa had to Fargo AA and yes one form Illinois. Iowa state had Fargo champ and runner up. Uni had three Fargo AA. I don’t know if Iowa can take the top spot again but I like it when Iowa is in the top 5 it helps all the colleges in the state of Iowa

I would hope everyone understands that Iowa still ranks very well when it comes to college AAs, especially on a per capita basis. I think most of the "criticism" comes from the lack of elite, top end talent. There aren't too many Iowa kids ranked in the top 20 p4p in their class or in the top 3 or so in each weight class. For instance, even as good as Teske and Thompsen were/are, neither fits that description. That's the issue, not that the state is barren of good wrestling.

As a side note, Flo rated the college recruiting classes by Fargo performances and Northern Iowa won. The Panthers had 6 recruits AA.

ADVERTISEMENT