ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa "First in the Nation" Status for 2024 Election?

Jul 16, 2022
Anyone heard what the status is on Iowa's chances to maintain the "first in the nation" status for the Dem Primary? Thought I heard they were potentially losing that but it's been mum since. The DNC (State and National) sure did "F" that up in 2020. Hard to fathom it is that difficult to count votes.

Anyone heard what the status is on Iowa's chances to maintain the "first in the nation" status for the Dem Primary? Thought I heard they were potentially losing that but it's been mum since. The DNC (State and National) sure did "F" that up in 2020. Hard to fathom it is that difficult to count votes.

Except the Dems don't count votes, they count bodies and it's done at thousands of different locations, including private homes. Add in the fact that each location must report via telephone their results, it has become unwieldy and archaic and is the poster child for political inefficiency. The caucus is an outdated way to conduct what should essentially be an easily held trouble free primary election. Iowa should come into the 21st century or step aside from its first in the nation status.

Except the Dems don't count votes, they count bodies and it's done at thousands of different locations, including private homes. Add in the fact that each location must report via telephone their results, it has become unwieldy and archaic and is the poster child for political inefficiency. The caucus is an outdated way to conduct what should essentially be an easily held trouble free primary election. Iowa should come into the 21st century or step aside from its first in the nation status.
That sounds like a cluster and ripe for corruption ... probably with a difficult audit trail. Do the bodies have to be alive or can they be dead like my old state of Illinois?

That sounds like a cluster and ripe for corruption ... probably with a difficult audit trail. Do the bodies have to be alive or can they be dead like my old state of Illinois?
They have to be able to get to the caucus site at a specific time and spend a few hours there being harassed by representatives of all of the candidates to join their group in their portion of the caucus site. Then, when one candidate fails to reach a quota of bodies, his or her folks are up for grabs and the harassment begins again, sometimes time after time until the winner of that precinct is settled.

They have to be able to get to the caucus site at a specific time and spend a few hours there being harassed by representatives of all of the candidates to join their group in their portion of the caucus site. Then, when one candidate fails to reach a quota of bodies, his or her folks are up for grabs and the harassment begins again, sometimes time after time until the winner of that precinct is settled.
Does not sound like a very democratic way to elect a candidate. Lots of opportunity for voter intimidation by a strong handed precinct captain.

Are photo IDs required at the Dem caucus?

I think there have been others earlier before, it's just that the media must really like the direct flight from DC to DSM...

Gotta herd the sheep somehow.

Reactions: BustingNarratives
Let's be real, the whole party driven primary system in place in our country is a joke and is controlled by the party bigwigs. It's the reason Hillary was up in 2016 instead of Bernie who had much higher support nationally. When the system is rigged by things like super-delegates and the like, your vote or choice doesn't matter unless it coincides with the party's wishes. We should conduct a nationwide primary all on the same day, winner takes all and gets the nomination. No delegates, no electorally biased bullcrap. This protracted and biased process is terrible.

But it will never change because we have abdicated our authority to the 2 primary political parties and they will never surrender it.

Let's be real, the whole party driven primary system in place in our country is a joke and is controlled by the party bigwigs. It's the reason Hillary was up in 2016 instead of Bernie who had much higher support nationally. When the system is rigged by things like super-delegates and the like, your vote or choice doesn't matter unless it coincides with the party's wishes. We should conduct a nationwide primary all on the same day, winner takes all and gets the nomination. No delegates, no electorally biased bullcrap. This protracted and biased process is terrible.

But it will never change because we have abdicated our authority to the 2 primary political parties and they will never surrender it.
This for sure. I also think it is designed by both the Ds and the Rs to keep 3rd party candidates out. They suck up all the air time with the primaries for five months and then block them out of debates as well.

This for sure. I also think it is designed by both the Ds and the Rs to keep 3rd party candidates out. They suck up all the air time with the primaries for five months and then block them out of debates as well.
Blame Jimmy Carter...actually George McGovern used the “caucus” to secure delegates to the Dem Convention in ‘72 and parlayed the Iowa delegTe win to winning enough delegates to get the Dem nomination. Then 4 years later, Carter perfected the McGovern strategy, “moved” to Iowa and worked the caucus system all the way to the Presidency. The everybody got involved...Branstad and Iowa GOPers saw the economics involved in being first in the nation..
Candidates liked Iowa because is was relatively inexpensive and easy to get around. A perfect match. But, times change. The caucus was never intended to be a “vote counter” and by law and New Hampshire is guaranteed to hold the nation’s first direct primary.
The DNC wants someone else to be “#1” and has actively sabotaged the Democratic caucus to force this move. The last move was to force Iowa to do something it was never meant to do. Really a poor move by the DNC. Iowa probably shouldn’t be #1 but at least for Dems it has been A fairly accurate predictor....not so much for the GOP. In short, the DNC over promised knowing the caucus would under deliver and that failure would facilitate Dems to move the caucus elsewhere.

What's interesting about this thread that it seems like we finally have a topic that everyone agrees on ... the caucus system sucks. It's amazing that has not filtered up to the DNC to force the change to a more standard primary method. I wonder if they have done any polling or even focus groups on this issue? They poll everything else. Oh well, I'm sure the Iowa media is going to miss that revenue boost they get every four years. Personally, I won't miss all the ads.

Reactions: cigaretteman
What's interesting about this thread that it seems like we finally have a topic that everyone agrees on ... the caucus system sucks. It's amazing that has not filtered up to the DNC to force the change to a more standard primary method. I wonder if they have done any polling or even focus groups on this issue? They poll everything else. Oh well, I'm sure the Iowa media is going to miss that revenue boost they get every four years. Personally, I won't miss all the ads.
I never said that...the caucus system does exactly what it is supposed to do...allow party faithful to meet in someone’s house, church, building and take care of “their political party’s business” ....onenight every 4 years. Before the voting for a candidate, the meeting was a grass roots assembly of Party activists and local officers were chosen, Party platforms ere discussed and voted upon and election strategies were explained. An unofficial straw poll might have been tamed before adjourning...often after midnight. The caucus system is unique to Iowa and was never intended to be a binding vote for a candidate. By Party rules, NH is guaranteed to hold the first in the nation open primary for POTUS.
Branstad Gerry-rugged verbiage and the Iowa GOP got around this agreement by holding a”straw vote”...which by the way presented the Iowa GOP plenty of accounting problems. The DNC coerced Iowa Dems to make their caucus something it was never meant to be...and then confused the issue with a “wired” method of tracking votes and reporting local results to a nTional desk.

Then comes South Carolina, which has lots of black folks, but that state does a good job of keeping them away from the polls....

I never said that...the caucus system does exactly what it is supposed to do...allow party faithful to meet in someone’s house, church, building and take care of “their political party’s business” ....onenight every 4 years. Before the voting for a candidate, the meeting was a grass roots assembly of Party activists and local officers were chosen, Party platforms ere discussed and voted upon and election strategies were explained. An unofficial straw poll might have been tamed before adjourning...often after midnight. The caucus system is unique to Iowa and was never intended to be a binding vote for a candidate. By Party rules, NH is guaranteed to hold the first in the nation open primary for POTUS.
Branstad Gerry-rugged verbiage and the Iowa GOP got around this agreement by holding a”straw vote”...which by the way presented the Iowa GOP plenty of accounting problems. The DNC coerced Iowa Dems to make their caucus something it was never meant to be...and then confused the issue with a “wired” method of tracking votes and reporting local results to a nTional desk.
Your previous post sounded more critical. So, if you don't think it sucks do you like the caucus system?

Would it be fair to assume that the state wouldn’t support a candidate that didn’t partake in the caucus system, who through no fault of their own would be viewed as anti-Iowan (or however you want to label its values) for not having to participate in a caucus style primary?

Independents can’t participate in the caucus.

If Iowa loses it's 1st in the nation position(I think it should), the sound of the complaints about being "left behind" and the "coastal elites" is going to reach a fever pitch.

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
If Iowa loses it's 1st in the nation position(I think it should), the sound of the complaints about being "left behind" and the "coastal elites" is going to reach a fever pitch.
Not as much as skyrocketing food and gas prices 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT