ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa football the next 5 years

Originally posted by GoldenRam:
Is there going to be a resurgence, or are we going to stagnate with lame duck coach?
KF has spent the better part of his adult life at Iowa and I assure you cares way more about the institution (especially the kids), than almost all of the 'fans' on this site. He has given millions back to the program and the hospital through his family's foundation (look it up). Whether you like his brand of football or not, why would anyone doubt that he wants this program to be successful long into the future and would do everything he could to leave this program in the best shape possible when he decides to go (And he's earned the right to decide when he goes). Part of why he asked for this contract was he wanted this to be his last 'job' as he will be 65 when it expires. To refer to him as a lame duck coach is both inaccurate and disrespectful, as this is not his last year and he will never be fired, nor does he deserve to be. I can assure you, he will prepare to make a smooth transition when he passes the torch. In the meantime, I suggest everyone quit whinning and cheer these young men on. KF and the administration believe it is all about these young men, as do I.
Go Hawks!

OK Buddy I read about him not being a lame duck ...how about a few words about the resurgence ? It was an either or question

OK Buddy I read about him not being a lame duck ...how about a few words about the resurgence ? It was an either or question
I don't know if they are going to be winning any championships this year, but yes, I believe they will trending upwards again, mainly because the attrition has slowed considerably. These folks know how to develop kids, probably every NFL coach would tell you that, but the kids have to stay in the program!
Don't you hope I'm correct?

Championships! This staff needs to try and get a rivalry trophy back! Minny, Ames, Nebby, and Wisky have them ALL. Little steps.

We will win 8 or 9 games against this junior college schedule. The following year we will get smacked by the real teams and he will be fired. The new coach will have a bigger hill to climb than Fran.

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:
We will win 8 or 9 games against this junior college schedule. The following year we will get smacked by the real teams and he will be fired. The new coach will have a bigger hill to climb than Fran.
You must be a blast to be around. Have ever posted something that wasn't negative?
Outside of Ohio St., who are these 'real teams' that we have so much trouble with? We have more trouble with Iowa St. than Michigan or Michigan St. You can predict or know how good these other teams will be in 2 years? Then you are in the wrong business my friend. .
You certainly love to hyperbolize, at least I think you do. Maybe you actually believe they have a junior college schedule or maybe you inadvertently looked up the wrong team. Whatever the case, you never fail to overstate.
Why can't some you get it through your head that Kirk Ferentz will never be fired nor does he deserve to be? Give it up. Not going to happen.
You need to read more of my posts. I wrote a great one about why he wouldn't and what shape he would leave the program.
We'll you better get back to basking in your doom and gloom.

Who died and made you the know all be all of Iowa's football future ? Really, if you have that kind of ESP what in Gods name are you worried about Iowa and not giving insight on how to solve cancer. Posts like yours are really such self serving B S. You know squat.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Buddy are you a former player or a parent of current/former player? you seem to take each post very personally.

if you have a direct line to Kirk why don't you do us all a favor and send him the word that what the fan base wants to hear is we are going to kick ISU's ass this year/fall and we are going to work all spring & summer to make sure that happens.

This ho hum i guess we'll play them and try not to lose crap is getting REALLY OLD.

This post was edited on 3/29 12:39 PM by Phenomenally Frantastic

Originally posted by Phenomenally Frantastic:
Buddy are you a former player or a parent of current/former player? you seem to take each post very personally.

if you have a direct line to Kirk why don't you do us all a favor and send him the word that what the fan base wants to hear is we are going to kick ISU's ass this year/fall and we are going to work all spring & summer to make sure that happens.

This ho hum i guess we'll play them and try not to lose crap is getting REALLY OLD.

Buddy is Matt Foley. The cockroach is easy to spot.

Originally posted by BuddyRydell:
Is there going to be a resurgence,  or are we going to stagnate with lame duck coach?
KF has spent the better part of his adult life at Iowa and I assure you cares way more about the institution (especially the kids), than almost all of the 'fans' on this site. He has given millions back to the program and the hospital through his family's foundation (look it up). Whether you like his brand of football or not, why would anyone doubt that he wants this program to be successful long into the future and would do everything he could to leave this program in the best shape possible when he decides to go (And he's earned the right to decide when he goes). Part of why he asked for this contract was he wanted this to be his last 'job' as he will be 65 when it expires. To refer to him as a lame duck coach is both inaccurate and disrespectful, as this is not his last year and he will never be fired, nor does he deserve to be. I can assure you, he will prepare to make a smooth transition when he passes the torch. In the meantime, I suggest everyone quit whinning and cheer these young men on. KF and the administration believe it is all about these young men, as do I.
Go Hawks!   
So you are saying you are satisfied with a mediocre program and everyone should still spend their hard-earned money to watch the "new" Minnesota of Big 10 football...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Is there going to be a resurgence, or are we going to stagnate with lame duck coach?
And he's earned the right to decide when he goes.
If those earnings come from earlier success, then can these earnings be lost by later failure. That is, once this right is earned, is it never lost, despite what comes?

Originally posted by HAWK-N-402 (4):
So have we confirmed buddy is mattfolley? Smells alot like foley
Yes he is Folley. Gave it away in his first five posts when he used a smiley face at the end of a sentence, brought up Folley's name in a topic completely unrelated, and selected Buddy Rudell as a handle after talking about taking anger management courses when he was Folley. Pretty sad really, but not surprising.

Now back to the topic, I see us averaging around 7 wins the next few years. Not good enough to get people back into Kirks camp, and not bad enough to fire him. Kirk will become tired of it and step down (after negotiation a deal with Barta) after the 2016 season, maybe stretch it out to the 2017 season. Our next coach will have a pretty bare cupboard when he takes over as Kirk will continue to recruit poorly as he as the last 3 years.

If our athletic department allows KF to become a lame duck coach and finish out his contract in 2020, and then retire, then our AD is an even bigger moron than I already think. You think recruiting is bad now? Just wait until 2018/19 or so when KF has pretty much mailed it in, and any prospective recruit has no clue who he would be playing for.

KF will either be fired before 2020, or he will get things back on track, get extended, and then retire at some point with years left on his contract. At least, that's what I would expect.

Re: Iowa football the next 5 years

Kind of agree with this. I don't see anything ahead that would make me feel different. Frankly when the schedule turns that is what starts driving 5 win seasons.

KF has spent the better part of his adult life at Iowa and I assure you cares way more about the institution (especially the kids), than almost all of the 'fans' on this site. He has given millions back to the program and the hospital through his family's foundation (look it up). Whether you like his brand of football or not, why would anyone doubt that he wants this program to be successful long into the future and would do everything he could to leave this program in the best shape possible when he decides to go (And he's earned the right to decide when he goes). Part of why he asked for this contract was he wanted this to be his last 'job' as he will be 65 when it expires. To refer to him as a lame duck coach is both inaccurate and disrespectful, as this is not his last year and he will never be fired, nor does he deserve to be. I can assure you, he will prepare to make a smooth transition when he passes the torch. In the meantime, I suggest everyone quit whinning and cheer these young men on. KF and the administration believe it is all about these young men, as do I.
Go Hawks!
BC4knaE.jpg

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:

Originally posted by Phenomenally Frantastic:

Buddy is Matt Foley. The cockroach is easy to spot.
Yep I put him on ignore just like Matty boy !

Go Hawks!
None of that stuff matters. Hes not getting it done on the field anymore.

When you are not performing your job up to acceptable standards you are let go in one way or another. All this touchy feely emotional crap doesn't mean anything, wins do.

Originally posted by RocknRollface:

Go Hawks!

When you are not performing your job up to acceptable standards you are let go in one way or another. All this touchy feely emotional crap doesn't mean anything, wins do.
Who's standards are you refering to? Yours? I didn't know you gave KF yearly performance reviews. Do you even know what criteria his is rated on? Please fill us in Dean Face. Wins and losses are just a SMALL part of it, my friend. Besides not winning enough games for YOUR liking, what has he done that is unacceptable?
Under his old contract, he would have recieved 3 bonuses last year.
Let me say it again. HE WILL NOT BE FIRED.

Go Hawks!

Who's standards are you refering to? Yours? I didn't know you gave KF yearly performance reviews. Do you even know what criteria his is rated on? Please fill us in Dean Face. Wins and losses are just a SMALL part of it, my friend. Besides not winning enough games for YOUR liking, what has he done that is unacceptable?
Well in an interview posted on this site this Winter with Barta addressing previous season and KF. Barta basically said about last season, not a failure, but wouldn't call it a success. So if Barta said last season didn't live up to expectations and 13' most agree did but previous 2 seasons 4-8 and another 7-6 then doesn't sound like last 4 seasons KF has been living up to winning standards most would hope for including our AD.

But actually wins and losses is a huge part of coaches being fired or not. Only difference is some schools set higher standards than others (ex Michigan, Texas more than Purdue and ISU). Almost every coach on hot seat or fired is due to lack of WINNING.

Though I don't think Barta will fire him after this season but another 6-7 win season could make 2016 quite interesting.

Originally posted by iahawkeyes17:

Go Hawks!

Well in an interview posted on this site this Winter with Barta addressing previous season and KF. Barta basically said about last season, not a failure, but wouldn't call it a success. So if Barta said last season didn't live up to expectations and 13' most agree did but previous 2 seasons 4-8 and another 7-6 then doesn't sound like last 4 seasons KF has been living up to winning standards most would hope for including our AD.

But actually wins and losses is a huge part of coaches being fired or not. Only difference is some schools set higher standards than others (ex Michigan, Texas more than Purdue and ISU). Almost every coach on hot seat or fired is due to lack of WINNING.

Though I don't think Barta will fire him after this season but another 6-7 win season could make 2016 quite interesting.
There are usually underlying issues that lead to a coach being fired outside of wins and losses. Lack of institutional control (RE: Tressel, Chizik etc.), Embarrassment to the Institution (Pelini behavior, JoPa, etc.) and in the case of schools like Mich. and TX, the expectation SHOULD be higher, as they get the top notch recruits by 'brand' regardless who the coach is (what do you think a KF team would look like with 75(?) four and five star recruits on the roster like Texas has. Can you say 'Alabama').
If there is no improvement and he loses the support of more of the alums, then a change may be coming, but he will be allowed to resign or retire and a settlement would be worked out, but I just do not believe he would ever be fired.

Go Hawks!

There are usually underlying issues that lead to a coach being fired outside of wins and losses. Lack of institutional control (RE: Tressel, Chizik etc.), Embarrassment to the Institution (Pelini behavior, JoPa, etc.) and in the case of schools like Mich. and TX, the expectation SHOULD be higher, as they get the top notch recruits by 'brand' regardless who the coach is (what do you think a KF team would look like with 75(?) four and five star recruits on the roster like Texas has. Can you say 'Alabama').
If there is no improvement and he loses the support of more of the alums, then a change may be coming, but he will be allowed to resign or retire and a settlement would be worked out, but I just do not believe he would ever be fired.
laugh.r191677.gif
Where do you come up with this stuff?

"We weren't good enough in the games that mattered," athletic director Shawn Eichorst said in his meeting with the media that lasted nearly 35 minutes. "I didn't see that changing at the end of the day."

Eichorst said he will not use a search firm to assist him in finding the next coach.

"This isn't a day of celebration for me," he said. "We've got a lot of good, young people in our program who are hurting."

Eichorst said he would not comment during the search on the people involved or the process. He declined to say if he would value Nebraska ties or head-coaching experience in a candidate.

"I've seen people spend a lot of money and not do a lot of winning," he said. "We're going to get it right."

Money will not be an issue, he said.

"Nebraska has everything it needs to be successful at the highest level."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11958376/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-bo-pelini

''I didn't see enough improvement in areas that were important for us to move forward to play championship-caliber football,'' athletic director Shawn Eichorst said at a news conference.

''We just, for whatever reason, weren't good enough in the games that mattered against championship-caliber opponents. And I didn't see that changing. It wasn't a lack of effort by him or his staff or our wonderful players, but I think new leadership was in order.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nebraska-football-coach-bo-pelini-fired-155752450--ncaaf.html

Nebraska hit a plateau under Pelini. Despite nine wins each season coached by Pelini, Nebraska was never able to get over the hump to relive the glory days of the 1990s. Removing Pelini as head coach despite a tremendous amount of success most programs would be envious of is a clear sign that the leadership at Nebraska expects its program to compete at a higher level. Pelini was a very successful coach at Nebraska, but the bar is set higher than what Pelini has been able to clear.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/30/nebraska-will-move-in-a-new-direction-after-firing-bo-pelini/

The SINGLE reason Pelini was fired was not winning enough.

That's it.

His behavior was, at times, less than exemplary. But that was in previous years. He had recently projected a much better image, though.

If Pelini had turned in a ten win season he would have been retained. If he had turned in a ten or eleven win season and had no major blowout losses his contract would have been extended and he would have received a raise.

Winning is and will be the defining reason for hiring/firing at Nebraska, barring a significant NCAA or legal problem.

If Riley fails to win at the level Nebraska expects, he too will be shown the door. Riley is about the nicest, respectable, best representative any university could wish for. Nebraska cares about winning first but believes they can accomplish both. No harm or shame in that ideal.

Ferentz is also a great representative of Iowa University. I can't imagine finding anyone who would disagree. But he is not a championship coach. If you think so highly of the man, transfer him to a role as Chief Fundraiser and hire a coach you think can win at a more consistent level.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

Go Hawks!

laugh.r191677.gif

"We weren't good enough in the games that mattered," athletic director Shawn Eichorst said in his meeting with the media that lasted nearly 35 minutes. "I didn't see that changing at the end of the day."

Eichorst said he will not use a search firm to assist him in finding the next coach.

"This isn't a day of celebration for me," he said. "We've got a lot of good, young people in our program who are hurting."

Eichorst said he would not comment during the search on the people involved or the process. He declined to say if he would value Nebraska ties or head-coaching experience in a candidate.

"I've seen people spend a lot of money and not do a lot of winning," he said. "We're going to get it right."

https://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11958376/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-bo-pelini

''I didn't see enough improvement in areas that were important for us to move forward to play championship-caliber football,'' athletic director Shawn Eichorst said at a news conference.

''We just, for whatever reason, weren't good enough in the games that mattered against championship-caliber opponents. And I didn't see that changing. It wasn't a lack of effort by him or his staff or our wonderful players, but I think new leadership was in order.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nebraska-football-coach-bo-pelini-fired-155752450--ncaaf.html

Nebraska hit a plateau under Pelini. Despite nine wins each season coached by Pelini, Nebraska was never able to get over the hump to relive the glory days of the 1990s. Removing Pelini as head coach despite a tremendous amount of success most programs would be envious of is a clear sign that the leadership at Nebraska expects its program to compete at a higher level. Pelini was a very successful coach at Nebraska, but the bar is set higher than what Pelini has been able to clear.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/30/nebraska-will-move-in-a-new-direction-after-firing-bo-pelini/
Because I'm not gullible and naive and I know how to read:

Eichorst's athletic department responded via statement late Wednesday afternoon, making clear that Pelini's pattern of unprofessional behavior played a role in his firing.

"If these comments were, indeed, spoken by Mr. Pelini, we are extremely disappointed, but it only reaffirms the decision that he should no longer be a leader of young men at Nebraska," the statement said.

"His habitual use of inappropriate language, and his personal and professional attacks on administrators, are antithetical to the values of our university. His behavior is consistent with a pattern of unprofessional, disrespectful behavior directed by Mr. Pelini toward the passionate fans of Nebraska, employees of the university and, most concerning, our student-athletes. This behavior is not tolerated at the University of Nebraska and, among many other concerns, played a role in his dismissal."

Chancellor Harvey Perlman issued a public statement reprimanding Pelini over the outburst. The coach would then apologize for his actions at a press conference soon after.

You can believe the politcally correct bull they put out about not winning the big games bs,bs, bs, and the nice little sound bites about taking them back to prominence, blah, blah, blah. but it's quite clear that his BEHAVIOR (among many other concerns) and his many run-ins and sordid relationship with the administration cost him his job, not wins and loses. Eichorst has made it clear afterwards and so did Bo in his statements to his players and in his statements about Perlman after arriving at Youngstown.
That's where 'I get this stuff'. Pretty easy.
Any other questions?

Originally posted by BigRedFlood:
The SINGLE reason Pelini was fired was not winning enough.

That's it.

His behavior was, at times, less than exemplary. But that was in previous years. He had recently projected a much better image, though.

If Pelini had turned in a ten win season he would have been retained. If he had turned in a ten or eleven win season and had no major blowout losses his contract would have been extended and he would have received a raise.

Winning is and will be the defining reason for hiring/firing at Nebraska, barring a significant NCAA or legal problem.

If Riley fails to win at the level Nebraska expects, he too will be shown the door. Riley is about the nicest, respectable, best representative any university could wish for. Nebraska cares about winning first but believes they can accomplish both. No harm or shame in that ideal.

Ferentz is also a great representative of Iowa University. I can't imagine finding anyone who would disagree. But he is not a championship coach. If you think so highly of the man, transfer him to a role as Chief Fundraiser and hire a coach you think can win at a more consistent level.
While i think he was fired because his win totals didn't have very many quality teams in it, i think you're being naive if you don't think part of the reason he was canned was because he was an asshat.

Go Hawks!

laugh.r191677.gif

https://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11958376/nebraska-cornhuskers-fire-bo-pelini

Because I'm not gullible and naive and I know how to read:

Eichorst's athletic department responded via statement late Wednesday afternoon, making clear that Pelini's pattern of unprofessional behavior played a role in his firing.

"If these comments were, indeed, spoken by Mr. Pelini, we are extremely disappointed, but it only reaffirms the decision that he should no longer be a leader of young men at Nebraska," the statement said.

"His habitual use of inappropriate language, and his personal and professional attacks on administrators, are antithetical to the values of our university. His behavior is consistent with a pattern of unprofessional, disrespectful behavior directed by Mr. Pelini toward the passionate fans of Nebraska, employees of the university and, most concerning, our student-athletes. This behavior is not tolerated at the University of Nebraska and, among many other concerns, played a role in his dismissal."

Chancellor Harvey Perlman issued a public statement reprimanding Pelini over the outburst. The coach would then apologize for his actions at a press conference soon after.

You can believe the politcally correct bull they put out about not winning the big games bs,bs, bs, and the nice little sound bites about taking them back to prominence, blah, blah, blah. but it's quite clear that his BEHAVIOR (among many other concerns) and his many run-ins and sordid relationship with the administration cost him his job, not wins and loses. Eichorst has made it clear afterwards and so did Bo in his statements to his players and in his statements about Perlman after arriving at Youngstown.
That's where 'I get this stuff'. Pretty easy.
Any other questions?
It is quite humorous that you actually believe that. Everyone knows he would not have been touched had he been winning 12 games a year and earned a spot in last year's NC playoff.

While you are at it, please analyze Fran's situation at Iowa. Could it not be said that his many tirades (a few which have garnered a bit of national attention) would be enough to let him go? Why is he currently sitting very well at Iowa? Please do not tell me that his behavior has been overlooked since he has been doing a fantastic job here....

You can say it, no one will think bad of you. Just say it, "I am wrong". You can do it.
All you have to do is read.
It's humerous that you don't know anything about public relations and how these politics work.

You can say it, no one will think bad of you. Just say it, "I am wrong". You can do it.
It's humerous that you don't know anything about public relations and how these politics work.
roll.r191677.gif

You're reaching Matt. Please go ask Nebraska fans (or anyone following the situation) why he was fired.

Care to take a stab at my Fran case study?

roll.r191677.gif

You're reaching Matt. Please go ask Nebraska fans (or anyone following the situation) why he was fired.

I'm sorry your self-esteem is so low that admitting you're wrong is nearly impossible for you. I've heard that it can destroy the whole psyche of someone like you.
Why would we ask anyone but the person who fired him and the person being fired? What would anyone else know about it?
Eichorst made it very clear in his statement the reason for the termination, and Pelini made it very clear in his statement to his players. What is so difficult for you?
People that believe what AD's, politicians, etc. put out in press releases show a truly sad level of naivete and lack of understanding of the world around them. I sincerely feel for you. '

Fran's situation has nothing in common with Bo. There is nothing to study. If you would read, you would understand that.

roll.r191677.gif

I'm sorry your self-esteem is so low that admitting you're wrong is nearly impossible for you. I've heard that it can destroy the whole psyche of someone like you.
Why would we ask anyone but the person who fired him and the person being fired? What would anyone else know about it?
Eichorst made it very clear in his statement the reason for the termination, and Pelini made it very clear in his statement to his players. What is so difficult for you?
People that believe what AD's, politicians, etc. put out in press releases show a truly sad level of naivete and lack of understanding of the world around them. I sincerely feel for you. '

Fran's situation has nothing in common with Bo. There is nothing to study. If you would read, you would understand that.
Yes Matt, I can read. I'm starting to wonder if you can.

Eichorst said he fired Pelini after assessing the "totality" of the program's performance - on and off the field. But it didn't take long for Eichorst, in the midst of his subsequent press conference at Memorial Stadium, to get to his core reason for dismissing a coach who'd won at least nine games in all seven of his seasons at Nebraska.

It's a reason that will be familiar to fans, boosters and observers who have followed Nebraska in the Pelini era: When the Huskers had to win a big game against a top team, they too often lost, many times by a large margin.

"I didn't see enough improvement in areas that were important for us to move forward and play championship-caliber football," Eichorst said. "We just - for whatever reason - weren't good enough in the games that mattered, against championship-caliber-quality opponents. I didn't see that changing at the end of the day."

Since joining the Big Ten Conference in 2011, Nebraska is 4-9 against opponents ranked in the Associated Press top 25. NU lost eight of those nine games by double digits. In Nebraska's lone appearance in the Big Ten championship game, it suffered a traumatic 70-31 loss to Wisconsin.

That's the same school where Eichorst spent six years as an athletic department administrator. The same school that throttled Nebraska 59-24 on Nov. 15. The same school that has won or shared three Big Ten titles since 2010 and plays for a fourth Saturday.

In the end, Pelini simply wasn't able to break a drought of seasons without even a conference championship that has now reached 15 years at Nebraska - a major source of frustration for a passionate fan base that had grown accustomed to seeing decades of conference and national championship football.

"Although we did win a bunch of games, we didn't win the games that mattered the most," Eichorst said. "We gave Coach ample time, ample resources and ample support to get that done, and now we're headed in a different direction."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/husker-a-d-shawn-eichorst-makes-mission-clear-fires-bo/article_a09b6452-78a9-11e4-833b-83cc4adda631.html

As for your refusal to contrast your statements on Fran's situation, I am not surprised.

ADVERTISEMENT