ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa gets OV for Kyle Filipowski

It may be a challenge to pull Kyle F from the East Coast although he does have 3 OVs and 1 UnOV setup in the B1G so sounds very possible.

Uphill battle for sure and it gets even harder if Duke offers, obvisouly.
Maybe, it seems to me that the bloom is off the rose to some degree in Durham. Duke doesn't look all that elite, and coach K sure looks like an icon trending down, kind of like his mentor from Army Bobby Knight, towards the end of his career.

Reactions: 2432Hawk
If I am Kyle I would not visit Duke unless I have an official offer. Coach Kresshewskiataomyski likes to jerk guys around and then cull them at the last minute. If they don't offer than you can assume you are plan b,c or d.

Maybe, it seems to me that the bloom is off the rose to some degree in Durham. Duke doesn't look all that elite, and coach K sure looks like an icon trending down, kind of like his mentor from Army Bobby Knight, towards the end of his career.

Ten 5 stars and four 4 stars the last 3 classes say otherwise.

Just glad he is coming to IC that's for sure. This kid has game for 6'11". My goodness, I love his play and he would fit in well with this roster as a power forward next to Mulvey and the way Fran likes to use his players with that much length and all-around skill. Mulvey should be on campus too and I bet Fran is trying to get Desonte Bowen on campus at the same time..... that makes sense anyway if that can happen? I hope Garza is in town too...

Just watched Desonte's vid in Frandaman's thread and my o my......his game with Flip and Mulvey.....sigh.....

Here is another look underneath the basket..man does Flip attack the ball and the rim...love it.

Last edited:
Very impressive tapes. Obviously, would be a great get for Iowa. Let's hope Coach K doesn't make a firm offer.

Yep...and Fran is going to “miss” on very high % of these kinds of kids because of the options they have, but he’s gotta keep his ear to the grindstone.
Yes, I like that we at least shoot for the top level kids, knowing very few will pan out, but as we have seen, one superstar can completely change our trajectory. (realize Luka was a strong recruit but not a superstar, but you get the point).

Yes, I like that we at least shoot for the top level kids, knowing very few will pan out, but as we have seen, one superstar can completely change our trajectory. (realize Luka was a strong recruit but not a superstar, but you get the point).
What sucks is that Fran has shown an ability to identify some of these “superstars” before they blow up, develop great relationships with them, then they go elsewhere after garnering greater recruiting attention and are great. The two that come to mind immediately are Ulis (we know the Kentucky story) and OG Anunoby, who we would have had imo had Indiana not swooped in with an offer after missing out on other priorities as well... I kind of get the same feeling from Dasonte Bowen and Filipowski, and it would be nice if we could land a couple of these guys every once in a while

LOL! "Ear" to the grindstone!

I believe it's "nose" to the grindstone...
...and "ear" to the ground.

🙂
ya_suspect.png

What sucks is that Fran has shown an ability to identify some of these “superstars” before they blow up, develop great relationships with them, then they go elsewhere after garnering greater recruiting attention and are great. The two that come to mind immediately are Ulis (we know the Kentucky story) and OG Anunoby, who we would have had imo had Indiana not swooped in with an offer after missing out on other priorities as well... I kind of get the same feeling from Dasonte Bowen and Filipowski, and it would be nice if we could land a couple of these guys every once in a while
Yes, though at least with these types of players the offer lists are not a blue blood menu. Getting in early and building the relationship gives us a punchers chance. The 5 star guys that have carte blanche of schools are next to impossible. We just dont check enough boxes. Getting four star guys is a significant win in my book. It has been somewhat rare for us over the past 20 years. (IIRC...Woodbury, Gessel, Cook, Connor, PMac, Weezy, Ulis and Garza). Not bullet proof, but a pretty darn good list. Very few elite athletes though, getting that even every other year would make a big difference.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Yes, though at least with these types of players the offer lists are not a blue blood menu. Getting in early and building the relationship gives us a punchers chance. The 5 star guys that have carte blanche of schools are next to impossible. We just dont check enough boxes. Getting four star guys is a significant win in my book. It has been somewhat rare for us over the past 20 years. (IIRC...Woodbury, Gessel, Cook, Connor, PMac, Weezy, Ulis and Garza). Not bullet proof, but a pretty darn good list. Very few elite athletes though, getting that even every other year would make a big difference.
At a place like Iowa, four stars who have the intent to stay for three or four years is definitely the way to success. Definitely wouldn’t complain if Fran was able to land a five star here and there though haha

Right. Every 4-5 years would be fantastic! I cannot remember the last 5 star.
I’m not sure we’ve gotten one since the star rating system started in the early 2000’s. If you consider McDonald’s All American’s to be the equivalent of a 5* though, the last was Kingsbury in ‘93

Reactions: BirdistheWord
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT